Mitsubishi's Warranty Schedule - follow it? how to not Void it

Hi
My daughter's 2017 Lancer with 86,000Km just got a new CVT under warranty. There was some question as to whether it would be covered as the car is new to us and didn't have service records - was likely never changed. This now has me somewhat paranoid. It would be nice to keep the warranty that is left. Especially as the cost for a new CVT (just the part) is $15,000 Canadian.

Mitsubishi says they RECOMMEND that all service be done at the dealer or by a licensed mechanic but if I do it myself this doesn't automatically void the warranty. Anyone have experience with doing it yourself and not voiding Mitsubishi warranty?

Their schedule says to change engine oil every 8KM, CVT fluid every 32KM and Transfer Case every 64Km. I guess if I want to keep the warranty I need to follow this - doesn't this seem a bit often though? - it isn't even the "extreme conditions" schedule.

Thanks for the help

Hi
My daughter's 2017 Lancer with 86,000Km just got a new CVT under warranty. There was some question as to whether it would be covered as the car is new to us and didn't have service records - was likely never changed. This now has me somewhat paranoid. It would be nice to keep the warranty that is left. Especially as the cost for a new CVT (just the part) is $15,000 Canadian.

Mitsubishi says they RECOMMEND that all service be done at the dealer or by a licensed mechanic but if I do it myself this doesn't automatically void the warranty. Anyone have experience with doing it yourself and not voiding Mitsubishi warranty?

Their schedule says to change engine oil every 8KM, CVT fluid every 32KM and Transfer Case every 64Km. I guess if I want to keep the warranty I need to follow this - doesn't this seem a bit often though? - it isn't even the "extreme conditions" schedule.

Thanks for the help
In the US they have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, we don't, but any qualified mechanic can do the work, you'd have to provide proof that whatever you used meets or exceeds their requirement and that YOU are a qualified mechanic or person and therein lies the rub if you cannot do that.

My 2015 Outlander has less than three years left on its ten-year warranty. I've done all the maintenance on it from day one by the manual. Vehicle has been uber reliable but I hope it just gets through the warranty period w/o any problems. Don't want any hassles.

I just did the 2nd CVT service on my wife's Mitsubishi at 62,000 (miles). I buy the fluid from the dealer just so I have some kind of paper trail, for what it's worth.

Thanks. I just bought crazy expensive, $48 per liter gear oil, from the dealer to do the transfer case and differential. I will definitely keep all my receipts and will document well what I do and when. I hope it never needs work under warranty again - it is nice to have but also a PITA.

I just did the 2nd CVT service on my wife's Mitsubishi at 62,000 (miles). I buy the fluid from the dealer just so I have some kind of paper trail, for what it's worth.
Do you just drop the oil and fill it back up or do you take off the pan to change the filter and clean the magnets? There is also the option of someone flushing the fluid. Hard to know what to do when.
Thanks

I have an old Mitsu. OEM states to never drop the pan. Only drain and fills every 30,000 miles. My mechanic states every one hundred thousand for pan and every 10,000 for drain and fill since you only get a small portion. I trust my mechanic....

I have an old Mitsu. OEM states to never drop the pan. Only drain and fills every 30,000 miles. My mechanic states every one hundred thousand for pan and every 10,000 for drain and fill since you only get a small portion. I trust my mechanic....
You would think you would have to drop and fill fairly often as you leave so much behind. Silly design to be kind.

Do you just drop the oil and fill it back up or do you take off the pan to change the filter and clean the magnets? There is also the option of someone flushing the fluid. Hard to know what to do when.
ThanksI
I'm working on a Mirage, so it's probably not the same as your Lancer. I've yet to actually pull the pan, but I probably will next service. From what I've read, the filter in the pan is little more than a strainer. There is a cartridge filter in the case that I replaced, but both times they looked great.

I asked the Mitsubishi dealer techs about it and was told all they do is change fluid. I was also told that a Mirage takes 4 qts. of CVT fluid, but mine always just took 2.5. I sometimes wonder if what they do is drain, refill, then drive around a bit and do it again. Don't know...

Back