Mitsubishi Outlander oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you don't need to make any. I know what I'm going to use. But what I'd like is for someone to scan and post or send me the oil recommendation from the US version of the 2009 Outlander manual.

I picked up my wife's new Outlander yesterday (made in Japan) and today I read the owner's manual. I can't believe it only recommends SG or superior, and let's you put almost any viscosidad imaginable in it.
It has the 2400 4B12 4 cylinder (2360 cm3), and the recommend the same for the 6B31 V-6 (2998 cm3)

Can anyone post the same page for the US?

Outlander_Oil.JPG

My owners manual for my 2006 Hyundai says SH or better can be used!
shocked2.gif

I would use a high quality 5w30 year round.
wink.gif

What have you decided on by the way?

I'm curious as to what the U.S. owners manual shows as well.

SG or SH? That is crazy.

I have a group II 5W-30 CI-4/SL that I'll be putting into it at first, then I'll probably move to Synthetic with Group IV/V synthetic in a 5W-30 or 5W-40.
I'm getting ready to add the 5W-30 synthetic to my line, but haven't decided on SL or SM. I run the 5W-40 SL/CI-4 in my 88 BMW 235ic for once a year changes.

Widman, I've owned a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander with the 4B12. I still have the owner's manual and have an English translation of the same thing.

Long story short: if you're using mineral, a 10W-40 meeting ACEA A3/B3 would do fine. If you're using synthetic, Mobil 1 0W-40 is your best bet. I used to use Castrol Edge 5W-40 until I sold it, but I believe M1 is a better oil.

The reason it lists SG is because Mitsubishi has a habit of listing the lowest spec oil you should use in the engine. This is to avoid people using something like SA oil, etc. SG is the lowest grade you should consider, but current spec is obviously recommended. Hence the more recent ACEA specifications.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Weird. First it says API SG or superior, then it says something about ILSAC. ILSAC was not around when they made API SG oil.

ILSAC specifications are for the 0W-30, 5W-30, 5W-40, etc. energy saving oils.
55.gif

Very interesting. Now I want see the US manual more. Once I get it I'll go talk with the national service manager.

Maybe I should use the same 5W-20 SM that I'm using in my Grand Cherokee. Since temperatures never get below 40 F, 0W-20 might be overkill.

I would be very careful with 5W-20 engine oil outside of North America - especially for warranty purposes. In most of Europe, Mitsubishi service centres use a 10W-40 or 15W-40 weight oil, depending on where the vehicle is being operated.

Stick to a decent API SL with an ACEA A3/B3 rating and you will be fine. Do not use anything thinner than 0W-30. I know anything thinner in Europe or the Middle East and your warranty will be nullified. Cannot speak for South America, however.

This question is more than personal, as I want to set things straight with the dealers so they use the right product. He has already admitted to messing up some Hemi engines with 15W-40 when they need 5W-20 and Chrysler made him real aware of it some time around the time I was trying to convince him to use 5W-20 in Chryslers/Jeeps. So now he does use the 5W-20 in Jeeps, Dodges and Chryslers.

Since I am the oil supplier to Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Mitsubishi, Nissan, Fiat, one Toyota, and two of the Suzuki/Chevrolet dealers, they depend on me to keep them up to date.

So I am more than curious.

Not any more. I broke up with them in 2004 when they wanted me to take down all mi signage and re-negotiate another term. They were raising prices and stealing customers directly.

Good products, but bad policies.

I just carry American Petroleum out of Tulsa, and Donaldson filters.

Originally Posted By: widman
Nobody has a Mitsubishi manual?

The Engines are so rock solid reliable that they throw them out!
LOL.gif

I had the 2004 Mivec version2.4 and it allowed anything from a 5w20 to a 5w40. I found better performance with the 5w20. I would focus on ILSAC approved grades (0w20,5w20, 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30. Even if they are no longer meeting ILSAC standards SJ SL they are quality oils compared to non ilsac mineral oils of the same time period. As I understand these are rollerized low friction valvetrain, no benefit in old tech high ZDDP formulations in these engines even if they are running sans north american emmissions equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back