Mitsubishi Outlander 2019 2.4

I bought this car in Oct 2020 with 42000 km, I got the maint. warning for the oil change, thats fine however while looking at the maintenance schedule I realised that Mitsu want me to change the CVT oil every 2 years or 48000 km !!! Dont you think its excessive ?

Also I have 2 choice for maint. Regular, or intensive.... well I cant see anyone in canada using the regular maintenance ! But there is also a uge gap between reg. and Intens. in regards of cvt oil change , like I said intensive is 2 years 48k and regular schedule ..... never, no interval specified for the cvt :)

So , what would you do ? Intensive or reg, schedule , cvt every 2 years or ..... Mitsu CVT oil or aftermarket brand ?

How much do you care about your warranty? Or to put it another way, how likely do you think it is that CVT will need warranty work done on it?

Pretty easy warranty denial if you haven't followed the specced interval. At that point it wont matter what a bunch of people on a forum think.

I bought this car in Oct 2020 with 42000 km, I got the maint. warning for the oil change, thats fine however while looking at the maintenance schedule I realised that Mitsu want me to change the CVT oil every 2 years or 48000 km !!! Dont you think its excessive ?

Also I have 2 choice for maint. Regular, or intensive.... well I cant see anyone in canada using the regular maintenance ! But there is also a uge gap between reg. and Intens. in regards of cvt oil change , like I said intensive is 2 years 48k and regular schedule ..... never, no interval specified for the cvt :)

So , what would you do ? Intensive or reg, schedule , cvt every 2 years or ..... Mitsu CVT oil or aftermarket brand ?
That is a JAT Co. transmission.

Use aftermarket Valvoline or Castrol CVT fluid. The Factory oil is not special and it is COSTLY.

And do it yourself, Just change at ambient temps and measure and replace the quantity you took out. That will save you 300 bucks a shot.

I would do a pan drop to get the "pusher belt and sheave" wear-in sludge out - if its convenient.

I had that same trans in my rogue - drove it like a madman slamming downshifts and had no issues.
I think I did my first change at about 17K miles and that was a little late.

at 42KM that fluid change is WAY over due. I hope it was done once already - at least a pan drop.

I would change the cvt oil now. it has all the break in wear in it.

then maybe a reasonable interval going forth such as 72k-100k km

That is a JAT Co. transmission.

Use aftermarket Valvoline or Castrol CVT fluid. The Factory oil is not special and it is COSTLY.

And do it yourself, Just change at ambient temps and measure and replace the quantity you took out. That will save you 300 bucks a shot.

I would do a pan drop to get the "pusher belt and sheave" wear-in sludge out - if its convenient.

I had that same trans in my rogue - drove it like a madman slamming downshifts and had no issues.
I think I did my first change at about 17K miles and that was a little late.

at 42KM that fluid change is WAY over due. I hope it was done once already - at least a pan drop.
42000 kilometer on the oil :) not 420000 KM lol but hey thanks for your reply , Ill have to see how much they are asking here in canada for Castrol or Valvoline ... I called the dealership today and they want 21.99 CDN per liter and I need 6.5 IIRC or 329.00 + taxes for doing it .... no need to say that I will do it. Also their dealership recommend the cvt oil change at 96000 km , that make more sense to me and thats what I will do. thnaks for your post

42000 kilometer on the oil :) not 420000 KM lol but hey thanks for your reply , Ill have to see how much they are asking here in canada for Castrol or Valvoline ... I called the dealership today and they want 21.99 CDN per liter and I need 6.5 IIRC or 329.00 + taxes for doing it .... no need to say that I will do it. Also their dealership recommend the cvt oil change at 96000 km , that make more sense to me and thats what I will do. thnaks for your post
Valvoline CVT Fluid is between 7 to 8 U.S. dollars a qt.

Forget NISSAN fluid. And do it yourself or have a friend if you want to save $$$. But it should have been changed well BEFORE 30KM.
So if all that gunk and particulate is in the system, IDK if a change now will help. Hopefully JAT Co. upgraded the trans filter capacity and efficiency.
The Newer JAT Co. CVT trans have no Dipstick tube and no traditional Fill Port - which is a pain for a "driveway" job.

Look for Youtube for how-to videos - there are dozens of them. Watch more than one, as most of these guys are
non-professional "Shade-Tree" mechanics.
-Whatever Shade tree means; must be some Down South or Desert terminology where it HOT in the Summer :)

That's a Jatco CVT. It seems that the key to keeping a Jatco CVT going is to change the fluid frequently. I believe that is similar to the one in our 2019 Sentra in that it has an externally serviceable cartridge filter. I'd do a fluid change and filter change --- though the dealer may not recommend the filter.

Valvoline CVT Fluid is between 7 to 8 U.S. dollars a qt.

Forget NISSAN fluid. And do it yourself or have a friend if you want to save $$$. But it should have been changed well BEFORE 30KM.
So if all that gunk and particulate is in the system, IDK if a change now will help. Hopefully JAT Co. upgraded the trans filter capacity and efficiency.
The Newer JAT Co. CVT trans have no Dipstick tube and no traditional Fill Port - which is a pain for a "driveway" job.

Look for Youtube for how-to videos - there are dozens of them. Watch more than one, as most of these guys are
non-professional "Shade-Tree" mechanics.
-Whatever Shade tree means; must be some Down South or Desert terminology where it HOT in the Summer :)
You're clearly being over-dramatic. How many of these vehicles are out there vs how many have had any fluid changes at all? It's good to do proper maintenance but lets keep this on planet earth.

Friends sold their 2011 2.4 to a friend. At somewhere around 110K miles I did a sump drain and filter replacement.
I bought a case of Amalie (Wolf's Head) online and sourced a filter which was stainless steel screening....and a pan gasket.
Completely straightforward job.
The old fluid was the color of dark maple syrup.
The filter was impeccably clean except for one dot of metal WAY smaller than the head of a pin. Changing was totally not needed.
The trans was shifting OK and continued to do so.

FYI: My friends are on their 3rd Outlander (2011, 2013 and 2015). I've driven all of them as hard as I ever would any car and never felt a slip, shimmy or anything else bad. Believe me, I wanted to.

Not excessive at all. CVT fluid needs to be changed regularly, and many of those transmissions do have problems.

There are lots of good CVT fluids out there at a fair price, including Castrol and Valvoline

Can't speak for the nissan, but have experience with the previous outlanders. The worse the roads got, the more their suspension shone, this was very evident when compared to the other brand we sold, Hyundai.. The santa fe and tucson like smooth roads only.

You're clearly being over-dramatic. How many of these vehicles are out there vs how many have had any fluid changes at all? It's good to do proper maintenance but lets keep this on planet earth.
Nope. Mine had many oz. of sludge in the pan. Caught it just in time. Pusher belts generate lots of deritus at wear in.

The manufacturing boss at my old job went through 3 transmissions on his 2 lease altimas - luckily under warranty.

Ok guys , thanks to all for your input , Il wait for some decent weather to do it, Im afraid to mess up my garage floor , you know all the route an oil stream can take under a car .... :-(

Back