Mitsubishi best selling brand in NZ

I find it strange the bad rep Mitsubishi gets on this site....they obviously don't sell well in the USA. But last month Mitsubishi had the highest vehicle sales in New Zealand.

20220504_120131.jpg

4 of the top 15 sellers were Mitsubishi. Where are Honda ?

20220504_120146.jpg

Where are Honda?
4 of the top 5 sellers are pickups, Honda does not manufacture pickups. Honda is not a big player outside of North America and Japan.

A fan myself.
The Sport went back to Japan recently with some improvements but at the same time many interior bits were cheapened. I have owned many.

I will say they are super reliable and believe it or not I have gotten great resale value as well. On here most that complain watch YouTube and never owned one.

Mitsu in NZ are bought for their utility and there are plenty of alternatives in the US especially with regards to the domestics.

When I was a kid we would joke about Mitsu by saying "Mitsubishi...we brought you Pearl Harbor"

Mechanically speaking, they're great and the AWD with the SAWC is probably the best AWD systems available to normal consumers. +1 on the horrible rust; I don't think I've ever seen a car rust so bad or so fast.

I have a 2014 Outlander with the V6 and AWD. It has been very reliable and overall a great vehicle. Never understood why Mitsubishi gets no love in the US.

View attachment 98643
In northern Ontario I seem to see way more Outlanders than anywhere else, and I liked the size and concept of a 5+2 SUV. What I didn't like was the V6 that needs a timing belt and premium fuel to make 220hp? It seems you can run regular and still get decent mileage, unless you are towing, then running premium might actually save money. Premium gas here also costs 20-30% more here often, so for me that's a deal killer for a commuter car.
Also I think a lot of folks in north America's first encounter with Mitsubishi was some not great engines in the Chrysler products... The mitsu V6's in several million caravans and cloud cars blew a few too many head gaskets and/or burnt oil...

Mechanically speaking, they're great and the AWD with the SAWC is probably the best AWD systems available to normal consumers. +1 on the horrible rust; I don't think I've ever seen a car rust so bad or so fast.
Weird I haven't seen that on the 2014 on up models
Owned several for 7 years in MD- no rust. But I'm sure it happened.
I have seen rust that was aggressive on new 2021 Mazda's.
The 2L is a bit weak but very easy to work on and at idle you don't need stop and start as you just can't hear it... :)
Port injected I like.............

But tooling around in one today makes me realize how upscale my VW is... really..

In Manila, the Mitsu are really LOVE by folks but the vast majority that I saw where diesels.

They are really stuck on diesel there but there are more and more gasoline vehicles being bought. They do love blowing the black smoke when they don’t get caught.

Where are Honda?
4 of the top 5 sellers are pickups, Honda does not manufacture pickups. Honda is not a big player outside of North America and Japan.
Uh, where have you been hiding since Honda introduced the Ridgeline in 2006?

Where are Honda?

They do quite well in most parts of Asia. A lot of taxi cabs are Honda City.

The pickup part was already answered.

Uh, where have you been hiding since Honda introduced the Ridgeline in 2006?
Uh, the Ridgeline is only sold in North and Latin America, not in NZ.
The topic of this thread is "Mitsubishi best selling brand in NZ" and the question I was responding to was "Where are Honda?" Honda's vehicles are sold by order over the Internet in NZ, like Tesla does here, so they are a very small player there.
Furthermore, the Ridgeline is NOT a real truck IMO. It is a SUV (Pilot) based transverse-engine unibody FWD/AWD chassis with a cargo bed. The Maverick isn't a real truck either. I didn't say that they don't have their place, they do, but they are NOT real trucks IMO. All 4 of the top selling pickups sold in NZ are smaller traditional body-on-frame longitudinal engine RWD/4WD chassis real trucks.
I never said that Hondas were not sold in other parts of the world, I said... "Honda is not a big player outside of North America and Japan", but I should have said Asia instead of Japan.

Last edited:
Heh... sales can't be used as a consistently legitimate representation of quality. I do like the Outlander (the long one). I'd been looking for a used one until prices became indicative of a failed society, now I guess I'll have to wait.

Back