Mistakes were made...

Not a huge one but... Well as most you know I have spent my entire adult life in and around submarines. We take pride in first time quality maintenance. Kind of important.
So when I bought my 2017 3500HD I changed out all the stock exhaust manifold fasteners to ARP Chromoly fasteners. That way they don't break. Last 6 months I could hear a slight exhaust tick coming from the truck. I figured it was the donut at the manifold to Y-pipe. It would clear up in a couple minutes and I was going to wait until warmer weather to deal with it as I rarely drive the truck.

Well yesterday I decided to take a look and saw the rear hole on the drives side manifold had no fastener head. I thought "How did I break an ARP fastener?" Upon further inspection I noticed there was no fastener at all.

I don't know how I missed it. I never installed it. I found it my spare manifold fastener bin. 5 minutes later and the leak was fixed. I must be getting old.

You almost had me questioning what I've been recommending for years & have yet to see one shear off. On a positive note.....Once you make a mistake, It rarely happens again ;)

You almost had me questioning what I've been recommending for years & have yet to see one shear off. On a positive note.....Once you make a mistake, It rarely happens again ;)
I bet you can imagine the colorful words that came out of my mouth when I saw no head back there. I don't think there is enough room to get a drill in there and I could see it was not broken flush with the manifold. I was thinking pull the head or just use a repair bracket. I figured I could run one of the Caprices old manifolds bolts down into it. Went all the way in, then I found the ARP fastener in with the the Caprices and Trucks old manifold bolts. I was relieved. I have used the ARP stuff for years on all types cars, they make good stuff.

Back