Mistakes made on collector car facebook page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an admin on a French car fan page on facebook. The car company is now long gone, and the clubs name uses the car company name, as well as society at the end of the title, such as "Chevy" Society. Many photos I post do not have artist credit, so I add a caption looking for ownership, but I do post them to share these neat photographs. I got a message from someone asking who to contact for legal issues regarding to usage of the trademark. Honestly I know impersonating a company online such as "Chevrolet Cars USA" is illegal, but I didn't think there would be anything wrong using the name is a separate car club title. I've never seen this issue with any other club, such as Pierce Arrow Motoring Club, or Packard Club. Maybe I should change the name, or take the page down? It would be unfortunate, some notable collectors are fans of the page, its neat to see their comments/ feedback.

You are fine unless the owner of the trademark asks you to stop using it. The first step in maintaining a trademark is defending the use of it. I wouldn't worry at all otherwise.

Probably a former banned member trying to ruffle some feathers. Even someone that received a warning/infraction etc might do something like that.

If the trademark is still owned and enforced, then you may be forced to stop using it.
I'm also on a vintage tractor discussion forum; they sold a hat with a logo of a tractor that has been out of production for 65 years. The company that owns the brand forced them to stop selling the hat with the logo despite not having the company name on it-just the likeness of the tractor was a trademark/copyright violation.

If a company or individual own the trademark and/or copyright to the name, they can legally ask you to stop using it. The real question: is the contact legitimate or just a typical farcebook crackpot.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just ignore it unless they send you proper legal correspondence.
+1

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
As long as you're not using the logo for monetary gain aren't you aok?

No, it is not that simple. Monetary gain is a factor, but is not the only factor for copyright or trademark issues.

If you try to analyze it just on money aspect, the argument can be made many different ways:

scenario 1) even if you did make money on your business, what you did actually improve sales of original product so the original product is also benefiting.

scenario 2) You gave away the product for free and had no benefit or even a loss, but it prevents the original holder from being able to pursue that same business that you did and they still suffered a loss.

Because it's so convoluted, monetary gain doesn't speak to the root copyright or trademark issue, so you can't take that as the litmus test of if you are in violation or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back