Mistake !-Inadverdently put GC in old 81 MBZ 240D-

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help.... my mechanic inadverdently put 6 quarts of new GC that i had just purchases for my 300E (gas) in my 240D (diesel)....

Will/Can GC work in a W123 MBZ diesel, or should I take the GC out and put my regular Delo or MC sb 15W-40?

need some sane answers quickly please, as my car is on the lift now

I would just keep the GC in there. Drive it around. See if you notice any issues, but most likely it'll be fine for one interval.

note: my 240D has about 220K on the engine....it has amazing compression, starts right up, is extremely queit for a 2.4L diesel, and has no leak/burn issues whatsoever.

However, a few years back before I started using quality HDEO's, I was using 10W-40 Castrol GTX and it was burning about 1.5 quarts every 3 to 5K (Prob due to not high enough visc).

Ever since I switched to mostly Delo (sometimes MC) 15W-40 the engines uses almost zero oil over it's regular 5000-6000 intervals between oil changes

I wouldn't worry about it - in diesel OUA forum, there is a person who used GC in a diesel Smart Car....worked fine.

10W-30 HDEO's are the same visc. as GC - about 12 cst, and the HTHS is 3.5, like HDEO's. GC has a very strong add-pack that will keep the engine well protected.

GC is rated API CF for diesel engines.

Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
GC is rated API CF for diesel engines.

Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.

I just looked on the GC bottle and i don't see where it say that it exceeds all warranty requirements for gas, and diesel engines. where are you getting that from?

thanks,

GC will work great in your engine, however I would be worried about consumption if you were going through so much GTX 10w40. 15w40 HDEO's are considerably thicker oils than GC.

Lots of people for long periods of time have run API CF oils instead of the more up to date specs. I have never been an advocate, given that the latest oils, designed for EGR diesels should be better, given that the 617.952, for example, has an EGR.

That said, lots of folks got lots of miles. Given that the GC is a heavy 30wt, I would be OK with using it. I wouldnt always use it, but for an OCI, I wouldnt sweat it.

That said, a 240D takes more than 6 quarts of oil... what else was used to top-up?

Hi,
with diesels it is always best to use at least the API (or ACEA) Specification at the level set by the engine's manufacturer

CF is still a current requirement for many light diesel engines

I have seen more diesel engine problems caused by using an under-specified lubricant (or coolant) than any other single issue!

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
GC will work great in your engine, however I would be worried about consumption if you were going through so much GTX 10w40. 15w40 HDEO's are considerably thicker oils than GC.

That's mostly what i was worried about too.... even though GC is almost a 40W, I pretty sure my consumption would've been through the roof, and I don't have the patience to deal with that kind of thing anymore. Nowadays I just want to put in my oil, check it once or twice, and not really think about it for another 6 months.

I took the GC out (although it was considerably darker than what it looked like before it went in) and put in a 5L jug of MC 15W-40 which was on sale both at my local WW for $10.95 and at AZ for $15.95 plus free MC, or Bosch oil filter.

I figured i will keep the GC for now , and instead do a little mixing during the colder winter months with perhaps 3/4th Delo, and 1/4th GC and do a UOA to see how well that combination comes out (since GC and Delo seem to be two of the most beloved oils on this board). In my estimation that combination might be something close to a 12w-43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back