Misplaced 2014 Camaro SS gets a new vin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, car gurus, what's the real game here? I'm suspecting theft recovery, or maybe even a rebuilt car. From my car buying experience, a re-issued vin usually means something very bad happened to the car at one point in it's life.

The dealer here is claiming this is a "brand new" 2014 Camaro SS that a dealer "misplaced", a new vin was issued and the car was sold wholesale to where it is now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro...=US_Cars_Trucks

$tealership antics....do NOT believe them.
To be honest that sounds like you should contact your
state AG...seems like it borders on fraud.

Last edited:
If you look at the CARFAX (link after all the pics at the eBay site) the car was stolen.

Originally Posted By: Blazered
If you look at the CARFAX (link after all the pics at the eBay site) the car was stolen.
I guess they drove it like they stole it. Rings are fully seated anyway.

I ran a carfax before I saw they had one lol saw it was stolen

01/22/2014 South Carolina
Stolen Report Vehicle reported stolen
02/28/2014 South Carolina
Stolen Report Vehicle recovered after theft

I'm thinking the seller is either completely fraudulent, or just doesn't know what they're talking about. States don't issue VIN's. Maybe a title was lost and replaced? I can understand that, but cars don't get 'fresh VIN's.'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I'm thinking the seller is either completely fraudulent, or just doesn't know what they're talking about. States don't issue VIN's. Maybe a title was lost and replaced? I can understand that, but cars don't get 'fresh VIN's.'

Actually states can issue VIN replacement. Once I bought a car at auction, it was stolen and VIN plate was missing. I guess thieves remove the number to conceal the theft. When I registered the car in PA, state gave me VIN replacement plate. Was completely different from the VIN plates from car makers.

I've seen a number of re-issued vin's, mostly on diesel trucks that were stolen a rebuilt for resale. Just never seen one on such a new car.

It's probably a screaming deal for someone who has the intestinal fortitude to hit buy.

Resale could be a problem but if you're the kind that keeps cars forever, it don't matter.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: bvance554

Actually states can issue VIN replacement. Once I bought a car at auction, it was stolen and VIN plate was missing. I guess thieves remove the number to conceal the theft. When I registered the car in PA, state gave me VIN replacement plate. Was completely different from the VIN plates from car makers.

True.. if it has been removed or altered.

If the dealer lost/ misplaced the title/Cert of Origin they can apply for another with the distributor, provided it's a current year car.

This seems like a bigger "oopsie". Probably an employee stole it and cracked it up.

Thats at least the third time an auction from this place has been posted, they get some weird stuff, at least they have some weird stories.

There could be any number of reasons a state would issue a new VIN, including a rebuilt title or defacement of the original VIN plate.

Car Fax only catches what is reported to them so I don't depend too much on them...

The only thing that this dealer offers is entertainment value. Try to see how many lies that you can spot.

Ebay feedback pretty solid. Looks like a dealer who sells recovered vehicles and some with salvage titles. Could be a good deal for the right buyer.

Guess I should've spotted this sooner, but the vehicle's location tells it all - Florida. FL has developed a bad reputation as a black market for washing vehicle titles and titling vehicles that no other state or even federal agency will touch. Remember all those stories about illegally imported vehicles, such as Nissan Skylines, Range Rovers, etc., being impounded and crushed? Nearly all were brought in through Florida and titled there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back