Miracles can happen!

I don't know how many times I've seen these GM heater hose fittings just snap off when being removed. Somehow I got LUCKY today and managed to remove one in one piece from my old 1993 Chevy Pickup. Put some liquid wrench on it the night before, maybe that made the difference.
GM FITTING1.jpg
GM FITTING2.jpg
GM FITTING3.jpg

I recently had the same thing happen on my kids 1997. Mine came right out. I couldn't believe it.
I replaced it with a flared fitting.

A 93 and a 97; 28 years old and 24 years old. I started taking a can of Krown rust inhibitor and spraying any fitting with threads on my 13 year old truck. ( use any inhibiter you want). The manufacturers never intended for the vehicles to be around this long.

The famous quick connect used at GM cars/trucks.
We have it in a 6.5L diesel engine.

In my case, I replaced it with NPT to Barb and a piece of heater hose.
IIRC, it is a 1/4" NPT but can be different with different vehicle.
That will make the fix last longer and you don't ever have to break that fitting anymore.
I learned the trick in a diesel forum.

I had two at the firewall on a 2010 GMC … took them off and clamped the hoses to the aluminum nipples. Drove that way for years …

FYI: a good trick for smaller tubing like putting in a transmission cooler:
Get a compression fitting that size and tighten up to energize the sleeve.
Now slide the hose and clamp past the compression sleeve & tighten for a more secure connection …

How do those white plastic (nylon?) parts in the third picture work? Do you pull 'em or squeeze them in?
They don’t work period! You’re supposed to pull the tangs apart. I think. Basically, once the hose is installed it is installed and not coming back out unless you destroy the “plastic” clip!

Back