Minnesota Gander Outlet stores=.22 subsonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW-This is the 'remake' of the old Gander Mountain in this area. I stopped in and was surprised to see several of the Aquila .22 subsonic products as well as the CCI. I use them for quiet pest control and such not always to be found.

Interesting. The speed of sound is 1126 feet per second. What speed do those bullets travel at? I guess it makes sense that they wouldn’t make the “crack” noise from going supersonic. Are they pretty effective in suppressing the noise?

Being chronically broke as a kid , I sometimes shot .22 Shorts . I had a friend that had a .22 bolt action rifle . When it shot , it would make a " twang " noise . Which was louder than the report of the .22 Short .

HaVE NOT NOTICED .22 sHORTS ON SALE FOR years . I suppose they are almost obsolete , now ?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
HaVE NOT NOTICED .22 sHORTS ON SALE FOR years . I suppose they are almost obsolete , now ?

.22 shorts are still available. CCI along with Aguila still offer them. Browning still chambers their SA-22 auto rifle in a .22 short only model. CDNN Sports has them for sale quite often. Some stocked in high gloss Maple, as well as Walnut. Scroll down about 2".

http://enews.cdnnsports.com/q/QosqzoJxOAGgcHD5adwR4VYzMCtiXSupBGWNHZAz7K05m54Q0SVUNFbrF

.22 shorts are still around, but not all are subsonic. The ones the OP bought are great and not much louder than an air rifle.

I heard that Browning is discontinuing the SA-22 .22s model. I read that was why CDNN has them on closeout.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I heard that Browning is discontinuing the SA-22 .22s model. I read that was why CDNN has them on closeout.

They are still being produced in limited runs by Miroku in Japan. The .22 short models made by FN are long out of production, and they command very high collector prices. The short models were very popular as "Gallery Guns" back in the days when shooting galleries were very popular at carnivals and amusement parks across the country.

I was lucky enough to find a couple of cans of these. It's surprisingly powerful, but subsonic and very quiet. These make less noise than some of my son's toy cap guns.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Interesting. The speed of sound is 1126 feet per second. What speed do those bullets travel at? I guess it makes sense that they wouldn’t make the “crack” noise from going supersonic. Are they pretty effective in suppressing the noise?

If you've ever been in the Butts at a target range, you can hear the sharp crack of the bullet passing overhead before the bang of the rifle firing if things are supersonic, and still supersonic over the top of you. If they drop below sonic in flight, you'll either get the report after or before seeing the hole depending on how fast they started.

Target .22 Ammo is intended to be as fast as it can be and still be under the trans-sonic region, so as to maximise accuracy. Once you hit the trans-sonic range, drag increases greatly, and as a result, wind drift increases markedly, and stays higher until serious supersonic speeds are attained.

There's a weird phenomenon in that range, where the "delay" time (true time of flight - time of flight in a vacuum) is greater for the supersonic than the subsonic...it gets there faster, but is delayed longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back