Minivans for DIY repair folk? Or stick with Subs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
transverse V6 engines are a nightmare! And sometimes the minivans, SUV's, and crossovers can be even worse! My recommendation would be the Kia Rondo, which was available with a 4-cylinder engine and 7-passenger seating.

The Sienns was also available with a 4-cylinder engine, but only for a few years, and they're relatively new, so out of your budget.

The Transit Connect is also too new to have depreciated to 5k, but you might be able to find one. You might possibly be able to get a Sprinter passenger van within budget.

4s are definitely easier to work on but I wouldn't consider them quite this bad. The chryslers were no harder than working on a V8 shoved into a tight bay, or a midsize v6 RWD SUV such as a nissan pathfinder, or a myriad of other vehicles. It really depends on the exact vehicle itself. Granted, some of the worst arrangements are indeed transverse 6s, especially some of the 90's GM variants, but I think once we reached the 2000s alot of the packaging improved.

Originally Posted By: redfishsc
Someone mentioned full size passenger vans, like the Express or Savannah. Anyone have any opinions there? They are a lot harder to find in my area but with time and patience, may be worth it.

They are full size trucks underneath, they ride rougher than a minivan and get the gas mileage of a truck. Different driving dynamics than a minivan for sure, pretty much like driving a Suburban really.

Because they are more of a truck platform, they are easier to work on and pretty tough, they can tow more if that is a need for you.

I guess it depends on what you want. Better gas mileage, sliding doors, lower ingress/egress and a more car like ride or a more truck like experience. I drove a full size Dodge van for a few years while in the Navy around the base etc. It was OK but I'd never take one over a minivan for family duty. They are too truck like for my liking.

Last edited:
Like others, I have owned two Dodge minivans. I bought the first one from a neighbor as a temporary kid hauler. As I owned it and worked on it (I do virtually everything to my cars), it completely changed my perception of Chrysler products... so much that I replaced it with a new one. We recently handed that "new" one down to our adult son who now has two kids of his own and needed a bigger kid hauler. It has 230K miles and going strong. VERY few issues with these vans. We did toast a trans at just over 100K, but we had been towing a 2500 lb. popup camper.... in the mountains, no less. That problem was my own fault.

I'm mostly a BMW guy, but if I was getting another minivan, it would very likely be another Dodge.

AM.

I had a 2002 3.3 caravan I got got free from a family member that I used as a winter crasher for a few years. Never left me stuck. Gave it to my brother to use as a work truck its still running with 200K on it.

I knew the van since new and the only thing outside of normal wear was
Window regulators.
Rear AC line
Leaking transaxle valve body (repair is DYIable and part is about 130. common problem i am told).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Trav
Toyota Sienna without a doubt. Very reliable mechanically where it counts, the engine and transmission, PS, cooling and heating/AC systems. Repairs are usually minor and simple enough.
I cant say much about Dodge but I wouldn't go near an older Kia or pre 05 Honda with a 10ft pole, ditto Ford unibody SUV's and minivans. In this price range your not looking at newer vehicles so serious rot of the unibody structure might be an issue with the Fords, the Honda and Toyota seem very good as far as rot goes.

The Excursion is great but wow what a horrible gas hog, what you pay in fuel you could add a fair amount to your purchase budget. I drove one of these things a 100 miles with a lot of downtown Boston traffic and it cost almost $40 in gas, no thanks I'll pass. I thought my Expedition was bad but holy cow compared to this is was an economy car.

Agreed. Any Sienna with the 3.0/3.3 is an excellent buy. Some items are a pain to deal with, but are not beyond the scope of any driveway mechanic. I cannot say the same about their newer 3.5.

I agree with these guys.

Siennas with the 3.0/3.3 are a great value. Some may need some work, but not a big deal.

As far as minivans go, the Dodge/Chryslers work well too. They aren't on par mechanically with the Sienna, but they are simpler than the Toyotas and to me, they make the most sense with their layout. Of the 3.3 and 3.8, the 3.3 is a little better engine. They're messy and don't have the best wiring harnesses in the engine bay, but are easy to fix in general. Watch out for the rear heat tubing on them. Older ones had steel that would rust and puke coolant everywhere and cause an overheat. New replacements are aluminum, but can be a real mofo to install (not like 10 hours hard, but it's REALLY tight on some models)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ And dodge vans are the new crown vic for cab companies. Their owners/ mechanics are a pragmatic bunch.

They certainly are. I'm guessing every 9/10 minivans I see in cab service are Dodge Grand Caravans or variants of. Is is because they're cheap and plentiful or is it because they're durable? I'm thinking it's the cheap and plentiful route.

As far as chassis and drive-train durability go, Toyota has got to be the winner there. Gotta pick your battles.

I have an 04 Sienna XLE with a 3.3L V6. The car has 110k miles. Overall we have found it to be very reliable mechanically. We have only encountered small minor repairs that most people can DIY (timing belt, trunk lift spring failure, window regulator). No issues with the engine and tranny. Ran dino its whole life and just switched to synthetic very recently.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ And dodge vans are the new crown vic for cab companies. Their owners/ mechanics are a pragmatic bunch.

They certainly are. I'm guessing every 9/10 minivans I see in cab service are Dodge Grand Caravans or variants of. Is is because they're cheap and plentiful or is it because they're durable? I'm thinking it's the cheap and plentiful route.

As far as chassis and drive-train durability go, Toyota has got to be the winner there. Gotta pick your battles.

Except its not always the winner. There was a span of years in the early/mid 2000s where the Sienna puked transmissions as fast as the Chryco vans did back in the 90s, and some of them were affected by the PCV-induced sludge problems that affected many Toyotas. The Odyssey also had a spate of bad transmission years long after Chryco had solved their transaxle problems. "Picking your battles" comes down to picking the right YEAR in minivans. The current Dodge/Chryslers are both extremely reliable AND serviceable- that's why the cab companies love them. I wouldn't say that about a 90s or early 2000s Chryco van, though. Anything after 2003... depends more on the care its received than the fact that its a Chrysler. If its in good shape, it should provide good service.

Originally Posted By: redfishsc
I have to have AT LEAST 7 passenger seating. Not going to pay more than $4k-5k for anything.

I read mixed reviews of the Dodge and Kia minivans. I've always avoided anything made by Chrysler or Korea, but I could be talked into it, I think Dodge has really come a long way since the 80's and 90's.

I'd suggest the Dodge Grand Caravan. However, limit the search to the 2000 model year, by then most of the bugs were worked that plagued the previous years.

They run 200,000+ miles no problem, so don't be put off if you find a nice one with 100,000 or so miles. Easy to work on, parts are inexpensive, swallows 4X8 sheets of plywood, washer/dryers sets, side by side refrigerators etc and they ride smooth and quiet. MPG isn't bad either with the 3.3L .Biggest repair I had was a leaking A/C evaporator (common problem) that was 4 years ago. A/C has been ice cold since.

Stay away from the 2001-2007 models, total rust buckets (at least in the northeast) and they don't ride as well and seem have more road nose.

Here is nice one, price is on the high side but mileage is relatively low and looks very well maintained: Needs a new headliner (another common issue) but easy to replace for an auto upholstery shop, about $300, (good negotiating point.)

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/27122606#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back