minimum wage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you drop the legal limit below what even the most desperate will work for, it makes no difference. A few years ago minimum wage jobs were going begging.

There's always side effects to any action you take. With no more collective resources in the mass resource pool, I really don't see any more trickling down by reducing or eliminating minimum wage. It will just be distributed differently. If my human nature barometer (which has been spot on, for the most part) is still up to its usual mojo potency, eliminating minimum wage would just make the current level of employment more profitable and less sustaining. It won't require expansion of total employment. Trickle down is just a another term for "what drops through my fingers while I'm grabbing" as it's proven to shake out in reality.

Humans are always regarded as an annoying, but necessary, evil (to the point of "disdain") to commerce. It would be much easier if they weren't there when they weren't needed.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Panda,

Not bad ideas. Of course, I believe that you are tongue in cheek.

Of course I'm, just being a jass ack myself and trying to have some fun.

Anyhow, not sure about the rural pay scale, but around here the meaning for minimum wage are the pay scale for the illegal aliens in non-skill works. Fast food, janitorial, agricultural, back of the restaurants are full of illegals with fake id/ssn working for minimum wages. Teenagers usually can't find jobs in fast food because they are too "expensive" and are not a reliable work force that can do 20 hours per week per person. They tends to work for Bestbuy, Frys on the sales floor, or 24 hour fitness etc, that pays more than minimum wage to begin with.

So in a way a minimum wage increase is a pay hike for the illegal work force, boosting the artificial low wages.

Quote:
Trickle down is just a another term for "what drops through my fingers while I'm grabbing" as it's proven to shake out in reality.

That's the best and most accurate definition of 'trickle-down' I have ever heard.

Eventually robots will take over. My beef with min wage is that it's a National standard, and makes no allowance for different costs of living in different areas.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Eventually robots will take over. My beef with min wage is that it's a National standard, and makes no allowance for different costs of living in different areas.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
but they need to allow more tax-free income for the higher cost of living areas and not a higher wage amount which does nothing more than create inflation in the local economy and increase revenue for the government.

More tax-free income for the urban areas? Are people too lazy to go to areas of the country where they get more for their money if they are unhappy with what they are receiving currently? I guess it is easier to control people if they are more centralized huh?

Urban dwellers use 1/3 the energy per person of average country dwellers. It's a more efficient lifestyle, but a quirk of the money system creates higher dollar numbers for them, with resulting higher tax rates.

More tax-free income for the urban areas? Are people too lazy to go to areas of the country where they get more for their money if they are unhappy with what they are receiving currently? I guess it is easier to control people if they are more centralized huh?
We were talking about Minimum wage increases. And I'm explaining that all it does is creates inflation and keeps the cost of living the same but generates more tax revenue. See the picture?

Originally Posted By: labman
I would like to see where that figure came from. Shorter drive to work or shopping, less need for A/C?

There's no doubt that your energy foot print is bigger with a single large dwelling with more cubic' per person on your 1/2 acre lot ...let alone the other economies of scale that aren't taken into account. Providing the needs of 1 million people over a seven - ten mile radius ..vs. twenty locations over hundreds of miles? The costs differences are social in origin ..not material.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
We were talking about Minimum wage increases. And I'm explaining that all it does is creates inflation and keeps the cost of living the same but generates more tax revenue. See the picture?

Massachusetts in a moment of clarity indexed their income tax bracket(s) to inflation. This has not yet happened at the US federal level.
frown.gif

That doesn't make up for impatient drivers!
LOL.gif

I was in Cambridge to see my brother at MIT and do some sight seeing, and man are people there impatient. If you don't gun it when the light turns green someone is behind you honking and yelling obscenities.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Panda,

Not bad ideas. Of course, I believe that you are tongue in cheek.

Of course I'm, just being a jass ack myself and trying to have some fun.

Anyhow, not sure about the rural pay scale, but around here the meaning for minimum wage are the pay scale for the illegal aliens in non-skill works. Fast food, janitorial, agricultural, back of the restaurants are full of illegals with fake id/ssn working for minimum wages. Teenagers usually can't find jobs in fast food because they are too "expensive" and are not a reliable work force that can do 20 hours per week per person. They tends to work for Bestbuy, Frys on the sales floor, or 24 hour fitness etc, that pays more than minimum wage to begin with.

So in a way a minimum wage increase is a pay hike for the illegal work force, boosting the artificial low wages.
Or you can be in high school or college and work at the mall or as a server in a restaurant. Ah, the good old days at the mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back