Minimum use of parking brake to keep it working

I use the parking brake every time I park.

Set it first with car in neutral, make sure it holds the car, then put it in Park.

I replaced the parking brakes and hardware this summer. First time since new - 27 years old.

I remember a incident many years ago when a couple of us had to go help a friend. She had parked her car on a steep downtown hill, set the wheels to the curb as she was on the downhill and set the parking brake. Unfortunately the transmission pawl got jammed with the weight of the car on it.

It took the two of us plus a couple of passers by to push that car uphill just enough to get that pawl to release. The lesson was, set the parking brake first and then place the transmission in Park.

I never use it in an automatic unless it’s on a hillside. In a manual I use it every time I park especially in my truck as it’s really bad about rolling away.

I use the parking brake every time I park.

Set it first with car in neutral, make sure it holds the car, then put it in Park.

I replaced the parking brakes and hardware this summer. First time since new - 27 years old.

Are the rear brakes drums or discs? I'm just doing the parking brake replacement today. Was a pain to get the cable out of the drum, Had to work a 12 mm box end wrench up and down for a good 30 mins to get it released. I need to get it all back together tonight or tomorrow. Then onto the passenger side ;-)

The lesson was, set the parking brake first and then place the transmission in Park.

^This - although there seems to be no general consensus on hierarchy of what needs to happen.

IMO nothing matters more than release regular foot brake very last. I personally shift into park with foot firmly on brake, activate parking brake then release foot brake. Even doing this method I have never had a car bump against the pawl unless I forgot to put the parking brake on.

Are the rear brakes drums or discs? I'm just doing the parking brake replacement today. Was a pain to get the cable out of the drum, Had to work a 12 mm box end wrench up and down for a good 30 mins to get it released. I need to get it all back together tonight or tomorrow. Then onto the passenger side ;-)
rear brakes are discs

The right answer probably depends on if the car has a traditional (and IMO vastly superior) cable that goes to the brakes, or if it has one of those electronic parking brakes.

Back