Minimum Oil Level - Sprinter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I while I'm furloughed, I got a job delivering Amazon packages and we drive the Sprinters with the turbo diesel V6. This morning while doing my walk around, I noticed that it's indicating minimum oil level. My question is, does anyone know at what oil level the minimum indication shows?

Just curious.

Van has 11,140 miles.

Originally Posted by Danno
Had a fleet of 400 3.0 V6 turbo diesel Sprinters. I'd be curious on what you use for top up oil.
Newer Sprinters should be on 20k miles or 1 year oci

Do they have better/bigger filtration? I'd be interested other your experience with them. What oil did you use? OCI?

The old GM oil level sensor (1999 Silverado) had to have the coolant cool down to below 100 degrees before the "Low Oil" light would go out. Hopefully this one works immediately.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Had a fleet of 400 3.0 V6 turbo diesel Sprinters. I'd be curious on what you use for top up oil.

Do they have better/bigger filtration? I'd be interested other your experience with them. What oil did you use? OCI?

We used Mobil 1 M, 5W-40 229.51 spec,superceded by 229.52, with stock MB oil filters. I asked my MB HQ contact what the difference in earlier spec engines were, he couldn't point to any differences.
Maybe is was the 229.51 to 229.52 oil spec change.
Sprinters were generally not liked by the drivers. Unreliable being the big issue. They preferred driving a 2007 Ford E350 5.4L to a 2013 Sprinter. The Ford showed up to work every day. The Sprinter, not so much. And when the Sprinter went down, it could be 3 weeks before it was repaired.
The fleet stopped buying the Sprinter and moved to Ford Transit 3.2L Diesel DRW chassis cabs.

Originally Posted by loneryder

We used Mobil 1 M, 5W-40 229.51 spec,superceded by 229.52, with stock MB oil filters. I asked my MB HQ contact what the difference in earlier spec engines were, he couldn't point to any differences.
Maybe is was the 229.51 to 229.52 oil spec change.
Sprinters were generally not liked by the drivers. Unreliable being the big issue. They preferred driving a 2007 Ford E350 5.4L to a 2013 Sprinter. The Ford showed up to work every day. The Sprinter, not so much. And when the Sprinter went down, it could be 3 weeks before it was repaired.
The fleet stopped buying the Sprinter and moved to Ford Transit 3.2L Diesel DRW chassis cabs.

The (Dodge) Sprinters we had were boats, er, B.O.A.T.s, every time they broke down, it was bust out another thousand. Or multiple thousands, like the serpentine belt failure that ate the $3000 engine wiring harness, or the $11,000 transmission replacement. If one was "lucky", they started rusting from the inside out in impossible to repair places, like under the windshield. I thought Fords were bad until we got the Sprinters!

Originally Posted by Audios
Its usually 2 quarts down when it throws the light, but add one and recheck to be sure.

Light never came on.

The way I read this, it would take 1 quart to bring it back to full.

E0C80584-6ED4-4341-B54D-76053849C412.jpeg

The guy who takes care of maintenance for our fleet was there this morning. I asked if he had any oil. He did not. I also offered to stop and buy oil to top it off, but he (and the manager) told me not to worry about it.

I told them I didn't agree with the decision to go on and drive it, but that it wasn't my decision to make.

I ended up doing 188 miles of stop-and-go deliveries in hilly terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back