Mini Syntchetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Father just came back from dealer after first Oil change (1 year or 15k miles, his only 8k miles). He liked service a lot, they did everything in about an hour. Inspected car, topped up fluids, changed oil and filter, washed and vacuumed car
smile.gif

I asked: Is there was oil cans there for sale? He said there was 5w-40 synthetic Mini labeled oil for his turbo cooper. Priced $6.50 for qt. cartridge filter $10 or $12. I've searched filters couple month ago and cheapest I could find was FRAM for $12 something.
Prices are great. Is Mini oil same as BMW oil or who makes it?

I thought they use the BMW 5w-30 oil for the Mini, which is rebadged Castrol. Are you sure it was 5w-40?

As for oil filters, you can get the OEM ones online for about $6.

I'm sure. Manual states to use 5w-40. It is 2010 Cooper S with turbo not supercharger. I can't find anything about Mini labeled oil. Maybe it had BMW logo on the bottle. His vision is not the best...

Last edited:
The dealership I work at uses BMW 5w-30 full synthetic in all the Minis because it is supposed to be the same as the Mini oil (or at least meet spec). I have never seen a tech use a Mini labeled oil.

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
The dealership I work at uses BMW 5w-30 full synthetic in all the Minis because it is supposed to be the same as the Mini oil (or at least meet spec). I have never seen a tech use a Mini labeled oil.
Hmm if they will use it in turbo Mini they are violating manufacture manual. It only allows to top off with 5w-30 up to 1 qt. Or use 5w-30 only if there is no other choice, and change it immediately when 5w-40 is available. I guess they don't really care is car is out of warranty, but during warranty period it should be followed. Also they started making Turbo coopers since what? 09 ? So maybe you seen older models. They all look same to me
smile.gif

Last edited:
This is straight from the 2010 Mini owner's manual:

2010_mini_oil_grades.png

AFAIK, the main requirement is that the oil meet BMW LL01 spec. The BMW 5w-30 does meet the spec.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
Hmm if they will use it in turbo Mini they are violating manufacture manual. It only allows to top off with 5w-30 up to 1 qt. Or use 5w-30 only if there is no other choice, and change it immediately when 5w-40 is available. I guess they don't really care is car is out of warranty, but during warranty period it should be followed. Also they started making Turbo coopers since what? 09 ? So maybe you seen older models. They all look same to me
smile.gif

I see it used in the supercharged first generation and the second generation turbo and N/A models. I am in charge of making sure BMWs meet the very stringent Certified Pre-Owned requirements and the dealership does not take manufacturer specs lightly. I highly doubt the dealership is voiding the warranty of every Mini they service. There must be an agreement with Mini/BMW to use this oil.

The bottles look the same, just different labels.

fluids_bmw_5w-40_lg.jpg

MIN_oil_md.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
So bottles with mini label do exist
smile.gif

They do. Castrol just slaps a different label on them to make you feel special.
smile.gif

152184_x800.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also read this maintenance FAQ straight from the Mini's official page:

http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?category=10#/contactFaq/faq/maintenance-m

Scroll down about 2/3rd of the way where they start talking about oil.

Hmm, I probably was thinking about VW GTI 1.8T manual before. Opps
blush.gif

How do you think guys will it be fine(after warranty expires) with non bimmer LL oil, if it is mainly driven during mild weather, since it is convertible, as recreation car, and will get not more than 8k miles yearly? Only reason it got up to 8k is round trip from Louisville,KY to Tampa,FL

Last edited:
Yes, he has time.Year or 2, depends how they could it, from time he bought it or time when it was made. He bought 10 model when 11 model came out(end of 2010). I meant use other oil after warranty expires. Dealer might charge crazy price for oil change service. I better do it myself for him.If price for their oil will stay $6.50 for qt. and no bargains on other synthetic, yeah, sure I'll stay with their oil.

T6, RP, Redline might be OK as long as HT/HS is 3.5 cP or higher. But honestly, when you can find M1 0w-40 (which meets BMW LL01) on sale for $5/qt, then why bother with all these other oils?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They do. Castrol just slaps a different label on them to make you feel special.
smile.gif

Did Haynes Publishing sue them yet? That label looks like a parody of a Haynes manual cover.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back