Mini refrigerator needs door gasket. Unavailable? Worth it?

I was given a decent size mini refrigerator last week. It needs a good cleaning, but seems to be in fantastic shape. It works great, but the door gasket is warped on one corner. It is a gap almost 6" long in a "(" shape that peaks at about a 1/2" gap. Fairly substantial IMO, and seems inefficient to run as-is. I've looked online and can't find a gasket for it anywhere. I'm stumped.

All I know about it is that it is a GE, and it's model number is WMR04BAPBBB.
20200820_231319.jpg

I also have a perfectly working second mini fridge that is about 1/3-1/2 of the size of the GE. If I can't find a replacement for the larger one, am I correct in assuming that it's cost to run will outweigh any benefit of the extra space versus the smaller one? I'm just hoping I wasn't given an oversized paperweight.

I think you found out why it was a cast off.
If you can't do some sort of alternative repair, it probably isn't worth messing with.
Even if you needed to replace it, a new one can be picked up rather cheap (especially this time of year.)

The lack of replacement gaskets for various fridges and freezers puzzles me, and if one is available, it is usually half the price of a brand new appliance.

I paid $200 for a new Frigidaire chest freezer earlier this year. The door gasket had a crease, although I don't think it impacts functionality much. I asked Frigidaire to replace the gasket under warranty. They declined and just refunded me the full purchase price and washed their hands from any further liability.

These fridges are basically just farmed out.
I have a GE that I used to have at work. I paid $129. for it at the time at Sams.
It looked exactly like the Frigidaire model at the time. The only thing different between the two was the nameplate.
Only the company that contracted them knows who made them. I doubt it ever got close to a GE production line. There may not even be any infrastructure for part acquisition.
Basically made to use up and throw away.

Can it take bulk gasket material cut to size, then seal the corners with silicone caulking. If so...

Though, i was thinking of the real deal magnetic accordian style fridge gasket material, not just weatherstripping which won't the door shut if there is no latch, just the magnetic pull of the gasket.

my son got a "beer fridge" used on FB market place for $35. It ain't worth messing around with...

Just my $0.02

Exactly.
Short of a very inexpensive repair using materials on hand, it doesn't make sense to spend $25 or more in materials to repair an old dorm fridge. That's probably like 25% the cost of a new fridge to pull off what will be at best a compromise repair. Besides, with questionable luck, he would repair the gasket and the compressor would die.
This time of year, they are on sale cheap with college kids going back to school.
They aren't made to repair, they are made to use up.

I bought a mini-fridge from a girl I had been seeing once. Still have it 2+ years later. Works great. $40.

Moral? Buy a new used one and motor on as suggested.

GE huh? They will probably sell you a gasket for 1/2 the price of the fridge new, like they wanted to charge me $190 for the microwave touch panel that broke.... Glue something from auto parts store back on and be done with it.

Well I called around to several parts places in my area. It is a truly discontinued and no longer in stock anywhere part. I was told by a few of them to remove the gasket, put it in nearly boiling water and let it re-expand to what it once was. Then replace it and see if it makes a difference. If no results, then try placing something on the door side of the gasket in the gap section to try shimming the space toward the fridge side. I normally don't tinker with things I'm not familiar with, but I have nothing to lose, so I'll do some experimenting and report back. Thanks to everyone for the input. If all else fails, I'll use my tiny one in perfect condition until I can find an unwanted one for cheap as suggested.

Back