Mini Cooper or ?

Thanks a ton!

To you and the other folks who have suggested a GTI, I will definitely consider one. I also like the Abarth idea. Finally, I have been kicking around a VW TDI as an option, seems interesting, tunable and has a lot of overlap with gas models for suspension modifications.
I’ve had a TDI and driven a family member’s newer one a lot. While the torque is nice, I wouldn’t consider it for something fun. You want something you can play with with high RPMs.

I have a Crosstrek and its pretty fun to drive. But I am over 65 so my idea of fun may be different than yours. But I would rather have a new car with slightly less fun than a used car with slightly more fun.
If I followed that philosophy I wouldn't have bought my E28 535is, my E24 M6 or my M235i- and I would not want to have missed out on owning any of them. The older I get the more performance I crave; I'm 63 and two of the cars currently on my radar are a CPO F-Type S and a CPO M2 Competition.

Last edited:
If I followed that philosophy I wouldn't have bought my E28 535is, my E24 M6 or my M235i- and I would not want to have missed out on owning any of them. The older I get the more performance I crave; I'm 63 and two of the cars currently on my radar are a CPO F-Type S and a CPO M2 Competition.
I just bought a Chaparral 27' powerboat. That's my fun.

I had considered a Mini years ago, likely one of the JCW versions. Decided to go with a Nismo Juke (Nissan) instead. Yes it does have a CVT and a nice AWD system/suspension that performs quite well, but is also available as a 6-speed manual, but in FWD only unless that's changed over the years. Great cars based on all I've put mine through and has a nice/affordable fun factor.

I bought and sold a 2007 Mini Cooper S to my brother and his wife last year (British Racing Green with all options). I have all Hemi 5.7 V8s (the Crown Vic is the exception but I don’t use that much), but the turbo 4 in the Mini is a fun little car. I have to fix it now though, as it’s reporting a leaky evap system and runs terribly.

A newer Mini would be a good choice (ignore the haters; maintain it and it will behave). My mom got a 2015 Mini (non-S) with a turbo 3 cylinder, and that will fly if you want it to. Her car is a 4 door model, and I know she’ll own it for the rest of her time (I hope that’s a long while). 😁

I bought and sold a 2007 Mini Cooper S to my brother and his wife last year (British Racing Green with all options). I have all Hemi 5.7 V8s (the Crown Vic is the exception but I don’t use that much), but the turbo 4 in the Mini is a fun little car. I have to fix it now though, as it’s reporting a leaky evap system and runs terribly.

A newer Mini would be a good choice (ignore the haters; maintain it and it will behave). My mom got a 2015 Mini (non-S) with a turbo 3 cylinder, and that will fly if you want it to. Her car is a 4 door model, and I know she’ll own it for the rest of her time (I hope that’s a long while). 😁
Your comments and insights are dubious because you have actually owned a Mini; here at BITOG the true experts are the ones who parrot third-hand hearsay and have yet to even sit in the car they are disparaging.

Back