Mini bikes, I have some questions.

Looking to (hesitantly and eagerly) source a decent 150-200cc big tire mini bike for the kids. I've also debated a kart, like a Yerf Dog but I think the mini bike might have less limitations on a 1.5 acre wooded lot.

It's been a number of years since I rode one as well as 3-wheelers, so a wider tire bike might work better for a 14YO.

I've been eyeballing this kit, wish it had rear suspension but not a huge deal.

Would like to make the engine as quiet as possible.

All thoughts and input appreciated. Budget....trying to stay under $1K or slightly above.

I can't help with current minibike best bets, although you're likely on the best track with a fat tire type bike.

There's a whole lot of cheap import off road bikes. The SSR line is sold by a lot of motorcycle dealers. Many displacements available. The smaller end has a 70cc pit bike with 4.7 hp and suspension at both ends. Fairly chunky knobby tires. I have no knowledge of the quality. About $1k new. Whopping 30 day parts only warranty.

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/pitbike/sr70auto.php

I loved mini bikes as a kid on hard-pack, established trails.

As an adult I bought one for the family to try and instantly realized the major limiting factor: the clearance from the bottom of the rear sprocket to the ground determines how large of an object you can go over. In the case of the cheap bike I had purchased, that was about one inch. Any stick, tree root, or other obstruction over an inch tall, and the sprocket got hung up. This often resulted in the chain jumping or breaking.

After about two weeks, a bag of new master links, and two chains, we got rid of the bike and never looked back.

For general use anywhere but hard-packed trails, I’d go with a smaller “real” dirt bike.

As an adult I bought one for the family to try and instantly realized the major limiting factor: the clearance from the bottom of the rear sprocket to the ground
I had that same concern since I know they will be putting it into some light mud.

I have been searching and this one looks hard to beat for the price, likely torquey enough for hills.

My best friend growing up (late 1970s) had a mini bike with a Tecumseh engine. I remember it had a governor on the throttle (a metal tab that prevented full throttle operation). We hammered it down flat so we could run it full open throttle, and that thing would freakin fly!!:D

Get a real mini bike from honda, yamaha, etc. Having low gears will allow your kids (and you) to crawl thru obstacles, which makes riding much more fun.

A friend of mine has a Honda Grom. It is big enough for adults and small enough for his kids. I think it has a 125 cc engine though. That may be smaller than you are looking for

I grew up with small real dirt bikes. The mini bikes always vibrated too much, and were a handful when things got bumpy. I'm not at all sure they are safer either. We grew up on bikes like the Honda XR75 and similar.

csteel_116_1.jpg

I grew up with small real dirt bikes. The mini bikes always vibrated too much, and were a handful when things got bumpy. I'm not at all sure they are safer either. We grew up on bikes like the Honda XR75 and similar.

csteel_116_1.jpg

Same.

Had both - the XR75 was giant step forward compared to my doodle bug mini bike.

Spend the money for a real small motorcycle.

Since you mentioned making it as quiet as possible, have you looked into electric mini bikes? I bought one on a whim about 4-5 years ago for my son. It is powerful enough to haul my 220# around the yard, and he has had a ton of fun on it. It's 24V, and works great. I think I paid $400-$500 if memory serves. He is almost 11 now, and still has fun ripping around the neighborhood on it.

Back