Mineral, group 3,4 or 5?

Here is an article describing Group 1 through Group 5 base oils: Base Oil Groups Explained
My $0.02: Performance of the finished lubricant (base + additives) is what matters in the real world. People get hung up on Group 3/4/5 base content, PAO vs Ester, blah blah, good grief. There are lots of "full synthetic" group 3 oils that provide amazing performance, but often they get bashed and poo-pooed by the "true synthetic" snobs. Here's the question: does the oil meet the specification required by your vehicle manufacturer?
There's a magnitude of difference with just meeting specification as compared to exceeding spec.
Granted all oils are blended, however there are oils that meet the same specs/certifications but are blended generally using more PAO/GTL which outperform Grp2/3.

There's a magnitude of difference with just meeting specification as compared to exceeding spec.
Granted all oils are blended, however there are oils that meet the same specs/certifications but are blended generally using more PAO/GTL which outperform Grp2/3.
And how do you know which oils exceed "specs" and by how much?

reading says better base oils require less viscosity improvers some better than others + looking at various viscosities even "better" base oils that are "lighter" tend to burn off faster. many on this forum know more than I BUT its interesting reading especially when a pro like Mola comments-clears the misinformation! looking at Redline oils that many specs are similar leads me to believe as noted oils are blended to as spec + a PRICE POINT!! you can see even the best thinner oils DONT have specs as "good" as the heavier oils! i DONT believe the claims by manufacturers that group III oils are THAT good but surely better than non "synthetics" + a good value for most "typical" drivers!! the more you read the more you learn USUALLY!! there WAS a site that posted specs for many oils + noted that many specs get "propped" up by additives + of course advertised specs are for new fully formulated blends + how they perform with miles on them is different + of course what engine + its mechanical condition comes into play as always!!

Yes that is true, PAO base oils generally outperform Group 2/3 base oils. But my point was, how does the finished lubricant perform? I certainly don't pour base oil into my engine. Also I ask, what service interval am I running, and why do I need to exceed the required spec for my engine? Just because one finished lubricant uses better base oils does not mean it always outperforms other lubricants using lesser base oils. Each blender has its own proprietary formula, which is why I keep mentioning the performance of the finished lubricant and not focusing so much on the base oil. The only times I can see PAO/GTL vs Group 2/3 being a real concern is if my manufacturer recommends extended service intervals, and in this case the oil spec required by the manufacturer would include greater performance & protection to last through the longer service interval. Also in severe temperatures the PAO/GTL may perform better but this would be compensated by shorter service intervals (severe service schedule) or when severe temperatures require specific viscosities, viscosities which usually contain higher quality base oils. I hope this makes sense, not so sure anymore LOL.

Back