Millenials living at home epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Hating millennials without acknowledging the biggest contributor of how they got to be that way is utter ignorance.

The "ME" generation has shown itself to be misanthropic.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
What you are basically saying is that jobs should be given to those most in need (a difficult thing to measure) rather than those most qualified for the job.

Perhaps you should look for work in the public sector where madatory age for retirement sometimes exists.

I, I, I, me me me, my, my, my! That's all I see in your post.

Fascinating.
Do you suffer from some type of reading disorder where all words appear to be first person singular pronouns?
confused.gif

Seriously though, are you a millenial? Is your position unique or shared by your peers? By any chance are you from the Pacific NW?

It really is interesting to me that you think I should curtail my right to Life, Liberty & Pursuit of Happiness for your personal benefit and even more interesting that your view of the workplace is not based on the job going to the most qualified but rather the applicant with the greatest perceived need of employment.

I fear such a business model would not prove beneficial or competitive in the marketplace.

AHHHHH, nothing but the blame game and deflection, RESPONSIBILITY, is the name of the game ! You are responsible for you and where you are, not a person, place, event or circumstance, own it, make and be you and your future !

I have seen jobs opening up at a massive employer I contract at to qualified millennials. They resource action(let go) folks around age 50-55 who cost the company dearly and while experience is great bring little to the table. The company does offer many chances for them to reskill but old dogs cannot always learn. The new blood is typically not bad and learns and obviously considerably cheaper. Lastly I am guessing costs the company far less in health insurance premiums and other ancillary benefits.

I notice posts above mentioning hanging onto experienced talent but that is not the case in my line of work. Bye bye is more like it. If you are inexperienced they off many internships which a millennial would be an idiot to not seek out. That is what saved myself during a cruddy economy in 1995.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I have seen jobs opening up at a massive employer I contract at to qualified millennials. They resource action(let go) folks around age 50-55 who cost the company dearly and while experience is great bring little to the table. The company does offer many chances for them to reskill but old dogs cannot always learn. The new blood is typically not bad and learns and obviously considerably cheaper.

I notice posts above mentioning hanging onto experienced talent but that is not the case in my line of work. Bye bye is more like it.

Its true that in the automated and highly regulated workplaces of today, the need for employees with critical thinking skills is no longer valued as much as it once was.

"Resource Action"....wonderful word play.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I did not call landlords "greedy". I simply pointed out that rent prices have increased rapidly and this presents one more obstacle to a young man or woman just starting out.

I would add that it is quite common today for rental apartments to require a first, last and a security deposit today so basically 3 times one month rent must be paid in cash prior to being approved for a lease. It didn't use to be this way...it was often first and last. In fact, it was often first and a few hundred dollars.
Again, I am not saying this makes a landlord "greedy", and I can appreciate why a property owner wishes to protect themselves in a rental situation; however, this does make it more difficult for a young person to move into an apartment.

Another example is that apartment managers require a high credit score today from prospective tenants and many young people have no credit history so cannot pass the rental applicant background check. A background check which typically costs the applicant atleast a $50 application/processing fee. Non-refundable. That was not the norm even 20 years ago.

Many retirees that I know have pulled their money out of the stock market and bought rental properties in fast growing areas like the Front Range of Colorado. They now find themselves owning rental properties. Nothing against them but when investors are buying 2 and 3 homes for cash then they are removing those homes from the market and those homes are no longer available to young couples or families just getting started in life and hoping to buy their first home.

These are not excuses. They are simple facts. They are all contributing factors as to why a young person today might be living at their parents' home with the goal of saving money or knocking down their student loan debt.

Sorry, the original poster was just blaming greedy landlords. Not really sure that's a legit point. I also do apartment rentals and own rental property so I'm well aware of the business. All those factors you mentioned are just legitimate methods to end up with good tenants. Landlords are free to set whatever terms the law will allow. If they're too restrictive, then it doesn't get rent. It's just supply and demand. If someone feels that an apartment is priced too high, then it's really because they can't afford it, not that the landlord is greedy.

I'm the original poster of 'greedy' and I stand by what I said.
While I understand the 'business' part...I've seen people whose mortgage was paid off long ago illegally renting their basements for exorbitant prices...because they can...I've seen people take Section 8 tenants because the 'government'
check is never late (so they bring druggies, welfare recipients etc...into a neighborhood of people who WORKED to buy their homes....that's going to cause resentment....PS Why isn't there any of this 'low income housing' in Chappaqua NY or Hyannisport, Ma???)
There are very few working class ethnic neighborhoods left in NYC....the desireable areas are too expensive for a family to rent so they rent to 4 or 5 (unrelated) millenials who can't afford the rent on their own...The undesireable areas are basically ghettos and even they are expensive (although usually 'subsidized')...

The United States of America has become the Divided States of America ....Instead of encouraging people to be 'American' we are being balkanized by identity politics which encourage division...I'm not very optimistic..

Wolf is in business to make a profit, not to break even on his investments. If a person can't afford his rental they need to look for something more affordable in their budget.

I have seen jobs opening up at a massive employer I contract at to qualified millennials. They resource action(let go) folks around age 50-55 who cost the company dearly and while experience is great bring little to the table. The company does offer many chances for them to reskill but old dogs cannot always learn. The new blood is typically not bad and learns and obviously considerably cheaper.

I notice posts above mentioning hanging onto experienced talent but that is not the case in my line of work. Bye bye is more like it.

Its true that in the automated and highly regulated workplaces of today, the need for employees with critical thinking skills is no longer valued as much as it once was.

No offense to old folks but workplaces that innovate are not full of experience except select few running the show if that. Most startups are full of millennials who can learn fast without training or direction.

I work with millennials and they have lots of critical thinking skills and are cheap enough that we
Can filter and train them by billing with profit 2 or 3 for price of one in our costing models. We shake out the stars this way.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I hate everyone today.

Yeah, that's about what I get out of rants like this.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
The thing that angers me the most, are the ones I know who live at home, suck money away from their parents and relatives, yet drive new cars and buy things like boats, motorcycles, etc. but they live rent-free in the same bedroom since childhood.

Sounds like jealousy.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They really push college education hard and to people who don't have the world experience to take a logical look at it. A lot of parents want what is best for their children and they encourage their children to go to college. Most of the people in my generation have parents who didn't go to college and very likely regret it. They felt it was a better option and try to push their kids into it

Yep, that is what it was like twenty years ago. Just go! You have to go.

I don't recall any real thought given to "how ya gonna pay it back" as I think most of the people doing the pushing never went to college and lived lives revolving around credit anyhow (when you have to buy something, you buy it, one way or another).

Personally, I think part of the problem is the manipulation of interest rates. Once they dropped rates (and the 20% downpayment) then real estate soared unnaturally.

Then again, families used to be multigenerational. Moved out when you could, accepted family members when needed. In some ways I wonder if we are reverting back to an older standard of living, where kids don't necessarily move out right after high school--and where properties might start being kept in the family for generations, instead of flipped every decade.

No offense to old folks but workplaces that innovate are not full of experience except select few running the show if that. Most startups are full of millennials who can learn fast without training or direction.

I work with millennials and they have lots of critical thinking skills and are cheap enough that we
Can filter and train them by billing with profit 2 or 3 for price of one in our costing models. We shake out the stars this way.

What you are saying fits very well into the theme of this entire thread...its a very different USA than it was when most of these old judgemental curmudgeons were cutting their teeth.

The problem I have encountered with workplaces that are heavily staffed with young, enthusiastic and naive employees is that these employers have a tendency to exploit these young employees and the kids don't have the experience to know they are getting short-changed. Its nothing new...but its why Unions were founded and why many of my peers were able to enjoy good benefits for their sacrifice of lifeblood. The benefits of union membership seldom exist for young people today.

But it is a very different work culture today. Heck, these days expectant fathers actually take the day off work to see their wife give birth.
smile.gif

Many people like to talk about others and their shortcomings. That's been going on for a long time, probably since the beginning of man. Unfortunately, it's not something that will ever change on this Earth.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Many people like to talk about others and their shortcomings. That's been going on for a long time, probably since the beginning of man. Unfortunately, it's not something that will ever change on this Earth.

Pretty much.

Older people are working longer because they did a poor job saving for retirement and have no choice to keep on working.

Obviously this causes no job openings at company and college grads have trouble finding entry level job.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Older people are working longer because they did a poor job saving for retirement and have no choice to keep on working.

Obviously this causes no job openings at company and college grads have trouble finding entry level job.

Or they still need to pay for the Millennials living at home, or those who made them grandparents without yet being married...

Or they haven't recovered from the market correction 9-10 years ago...

There are any number of reasons someone may need to work. Some are in their control. Others are out of their control.

Just like there are a number of reasons a young person is still living at home....

Many retirees lost their pensions and lost their employer promised post-retirement healthcare benefits (the nice term that describes them in accounting is "legacy" debt) and find themselves taking any type of work after having retired from their original career in order to offset their medical costs. You know all of those jobs that were outsourced overseas ? Well when a company goes belly up, guess what happens to their healthcare plans and their pension funds?

Additionally, there are some who found retirement over-rated and felt they still have something to contribute. Alot of the older generations were raised with an incredibly strong work ethic and don't feel complete if they aren't working and being productive. But it might take one to know one of this type so no blame to Mr Nice for not seeing this.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Or they still need to pay for the Millennials living at home, or those who made them grandparents without yet being married...

Or they haven't recovered from the market correction 9-10 years ago...

There are any number of reasons someone may need to work. Some are in their control. Others are out of their control.

Just like there are a number of reasons a young person is still living at home....

Exactly...I was about to type something similar...but not so eloquent.
grin.gif

I have no responsibility to stop contributing to the workplace or society for your benefit. My responsibility is to my family and to myself and even to my employer.
You are not on the list any more than I should be on your list of daily concerns.

What you are basically saying is that jobs should be given to those most in need (a difficult thing to measure) rather than those most qualified for the job.

Perhaps you should look for work in the public sector where madatory age for retirement sometimes exists.

This x100,000. You have no idea why that person stays working. Maybe they need the medical insurance for a spouse. Maybe they have no spouse and the only thing keeping them going is work? Maybe they have a sick kid that has some condition and they want to provide for their care? Maybe their retirement savings darn near vanished in the crash of 2008? Maybe they just enjoy working!

The thought that someone should stop doing something for your benefit is an extremely selfish thing. You don't like it? Find a new career or employer.

It's like the people complaining about the rich and want their $$ for doing, essentially nothing. Don't hate them! Figure out how to be like them. Figure out what it takes to become wealthy and do it. Start a business, work an internship, figure out how to legally make the dough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Loans are nonsense? The older generations had it all handed to them. Pentions, retirement plans, high wages, cheap housing, cheap cars, cheap medical costs. All of that doesn't really exist too much these days.

Dream on as you are typing this on your parents computer."My Generation and earlier" worked their aS$es off doing hard many times unsafe jobe (no OSHA here)..died in the South Pacific Islands, Normandy, Italy, South Korea, Jungles of 'Nam.

For us College if we went there entailed hard work, no Spring Breaks (or other breaks) you didn't make the grade you were flunked out..you didn't just "buy your degree"..

You are totally clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back