Millenials living at home epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...t-work-or-study

What is wrong with this generation? Ever since I can remember I've always dreamed of living on my own, in my own place, and taking care of my own affairs.

The whole "but my loans!" excuse is such nonsense. The "I'm just doing it for a few years to save money" is also nonsense.

Too many of these lazy slobs don't even shop for their own groceries, do their own laundry, or even do anything other than sleep and work. How are these people ever going to learn how to take care of themselves and think on their own? What we're going to be left with is a bunch of 30+ year old entitled idiots who have the mental development of an 18 year old.

I hate everyone today.

The thing that angers me the most, are the ones I know who live at home, suck money away from their parents and relatives, yet drive new cars and buy things like boats, motorcycles, etc. but they live rent-free in the same bedroom since childhood.

Slightly off topic, but I have a 56 year old cousin in Connecticut that has always lived at home. He worked up until 3 years ago, lost his job working as a clerk in a liquor store. He's got High School and 6 months of college. No disability, no ambition either.

Due to an inheritance, he is not so concerned about employment - fine as long as his spending habits are modest.

My 84 year old aunt has always described this one: "As long as it doesn't rain in bed, he's happy"
mad.gif

For my 2 Millennial category boys, this family doofus is the Poster Child of what you don't want to have happen!

If you are allowed to do adult "things" in your parents house, it becomes a trap. I wanted my own schedule and decisions(normal) so off I went!

Have you actually spoken to any young college graduates recently?

And I am not talking about the ones whose parents paid all their school expenses and gave them a credit card to boot OR allow them to mooch like you describe in your second post.

Time to step out of the 1950's, grandpa, because it is a completely different America for a young person today.

School costs have skyrocketed compared to inflation over the past 40 years. Universities are no longer a place of higher learning...they are businesses and trying to make a profit.

I agree that young people today sometimes lack drive but try to imagine how your own life would have been if employers told you that you don't even get an interview without a degree and getting one has now saddled you with a $40K student loan at 6% or more APR and even following all the rules and getting that piece of paper does not give you great odds you will even find a job in todays professional job market.

These college kids really have something to be grumpy about...guys who grew up when you & I did when college degrees were optional and good careers and the American Dream were within reach of everyone don't have a reason to be grumpy...we should be thanking our lucky stars we grew up back then.

You must live a really unhappy life to make a post about something like this, and rant and rave. You must be the stereotypical old man yelling "get off my lawn!"

Loans are nonsense? The older generations had it all handed to them. Pentions, retirement plans, high wages, cheap housing, cheap cars, cheap medical costs. All of that doesn't really exist too much these days.

Zero reason(s) for them to be a momma' s boy and still live at home when they are 25 years old.

Unless they are in school to be a doctor, they need to leave the nest and be an adult.

If you get a loan for college.... you must pay it back. No excuses or crying for not wanting to take responsibility for your loan debt.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You must live a really unhappy life to make a post about something like this, and rant and rave. You must be the stereotypical old man yelling "get off my lawn!"

Loans are nonsense? The older generations had it all handed to them. Pentions, retirement plans, high wages, cheap housing, cheap cars, cheap medical costs. All of that doesn't really exist too much these days.

BIngo.

Even though we had all those benefits there are a good number of my peers who are still waking up grumpy everyday living on their pensions.

Young people today don't even have the opportunity for pensions. They are lucky if their employers will match a share of their 401K contribution.

Nobody is forcing these kids to go to $100k/yr schools or to take out $80k in loans.

Education can be had for very reasonable prices but everyone scoffs at the idea of attending a community college for Gen Ed or going to a state ag school.

I have no sympathy for the student loan whiners. Those people couldn't do the simple math to realize that they'd be paying back loans for 20 years after finishing a 4 year degree.

I have lived on my own since I was kicked out at 18 right after a bad car crash that I am still dealing with to this day. Was homeless for a little while but I made it on my own. Finishing up my degree in statistics, married and have a little princess due in a little over a month. I am almost 22 now....some would say I have ruined my life and some say I have done a lot with the circumstances I had been given. Either way I am very happy and NOT living at home.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Nobody is forcing these kids to go to $100k/yr schools or to take out $80k in loans.

Education can be had for very reasonable prices but everyone scoffs at the idea of attending a community college for Gen Ed or going to a state ag school.

I have no sympathy for the student loan whiners. Those people couldn't do the simple math to realize that they'd be paying back loans for 20 years after finishing a 4 year degree.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful but you really don't have a clue what the reality is for these young adults today.

Here is a good mental exercise for you...try to put yourself in someone else's shoes before you form such strong opinions.

There are not many 18-year-olds who understand the value of a dollar and the burden of a student loan. They are looking at their future and seeing that blue-collar work no longer puts them in reach of the American Dream.

And before you say that our generation knew what they were doing at 18...look at the number of divorces that our generation has had because they got married at 18 and were clueless as to what life was really about.

Bad Parenting.
I've said it before, Your not raising kids. Your raising adults.
You can be friends with your kids up to about 12. After that you have to act like thier employer and keeper.
Don't worry, you ll be friends again when they hit about 20 and figure out what that was all about.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I have lived on my own since I was kicked out at 18 right after a bad car crash that I am still dealing with to this day. Was homeless for a little while but I made it on my own. Finishing up my degree in statistics, married and have a little princess due in a little over a month. I am almost 22 now....some would say I have ruined my life and some say I have done a lot with the circumstances I had been given. Either way I am very happy and NOT living at home.

You have alot to be proud of.

It sounds like you were dealt some bad cards right off the bat and played your hand well.

I don't know why anyone would say you have ruined your life?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

If you really believe that, you are very naive. All of that so-called cheap stuff was comparable in cost to the average income of the time, as it is to today's average income.

Here's a reality check: Life is hard. It has always been hard.

You either have things handed to you, (I know some extended family members that fall into this category) or you will have to work for it. My Grandparents worked hard and struggled their whole lives. My Parents both worked hard during their working years. They didn't have new cars every couple of years, they didn't have cable TV, they didn't have cellphones, they didn't go out to eat several times a month, they worked HARD. Period. That was most people's lives.

My folks taught me to work hard. I worked hard, took some risks, and after working harder for myself than any employer could have ever legally demanded, I had some success.

In my area we call it multi-generational living. I live in an area with the highest cost of living and most kids would rather live in the same place where they grew up. It's what kept smaller construction businesses busy with the rise of building home additions and renovations to raise an extra family.

Here a regular 3 bedroom house on a zero-lot property costs about $700,000.

Last edited:
Seriously, what's with all these negative threads about millennials? If they're so bad, then that falls in to the lap of the generation that raised them and the generation that raised the generation that raised the millennials and so on and so forth.
At the end, it all comes down to the baby boomers, everything went south with that generation
lol.gif

I guess I'm a millenial - I'm just glad things worked out the way they did and I played my cards right. Guess that's all I have to contribute!

Have 4 paid off cars, a small house with a good sized garage, good job, and a camper!

Sure ... one of the vehicles came from my parents, 2 of them are worn out junk jeeps ... house is falling down (but we'll make it better!) , garage needs a slab and the camper is a 30 year old popup!

Maybe it's all perspective?

I came from a family without much money. Worked hard and maybe had a bit of luck. I try to not put down people in my age group who are in a different situation. I have a ton of student loans, but I make it a point to spend less than 1/2 of my take home pay on ALL of my bills! I do cohabitate to help pay for house renovation.

I'd probably be better off in the money department if I went for some sort of trade rather than college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back