Millenials living at home epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Won't be long before this thread gets the boot.

A friend of ours has a daughter who was going to a state college for child psychology. In her senior year she quits all of a sudden, says it's not what she wants to do. Now she is at home doing nothing. No job hunting, nothing.

She won't talk about it either. Everyone is scratching their heads.

Your friend needs to give her precious snowflake the boot.

Yep. Some tough love is in order here.

Interesting because that fits the behavioral pattern of victims of sexually assault AND our college campuses have a fair amount of that. I would hope that her parents hold off on the "tough love" bravado and require her to seek mental health counseling until some reasons for her behavior become more evident.

Bottom line is she is not the relation of any of you so what business is it of yours to pass judgement?

That was rhetorical...the answer is it is none of your business by any stretch of the imagination.

This forum is the modern day knitting circle full of ninnies gossiping about other peoples' personal business.

grin.gif

A friend of ours has a daughter who was going to a state college for child psychology. In her senior year she quits all of a sudden, says it's not what she wants to do. Now she is at home doing nothing. No job hunting, nothing.

Tough love will do nothing for her.

I won't get into my situation, I didn't quit college like her, but I think I can relate to how she feels. I'd imagine she is under a tremendous amount of self imposed stress, guilt, and many other emotions right now. There is no need to push her, this manly, tough love stuff is incredibly overrated in my opinion, and can do a lot more harm than good sometimes.

The real epidemic is the proportion of people over 65 who are still in the workforce, occupying management positions, and constipating the upward mobility of career progression. Most of them can retire and not work a day again, they just choose to keep working for selfish reasons.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Then you are not reading very close because my post is full of facts.

The only assumption I made was that you must not know many young people but it appears I was wrong. Its just that the young people in your family are very different from the young people in mine.

Are you saying that the young people in your family are slackers? Because either you are, or you're once again incorrectly and insultingly assuming that the young people in my family are.

For the record: The Millenials that are closest to me were taught the value of hard work. They were taught that there are no Participation Trophies in real life. They are not slackers that make excuses and think the World owes them a living.

All I repeated is what you said here:

You seem to think I don't know any Millenials, maybe even Millenials in my own family. Suffice it to say I do. The ones that are constantly making excuses for why they don't do this or that, are.... simply making excuses.

It sounded like you said you know Millenials in your own family that are constantly making excuses.

The part in bold was talking about family. The new sentence of mine that I un-bolded in your quote, is talking about slacker Millenials in general. It seems pretty obvious to me, but whatever.

Your friend needs to give her precious snowflake the boot.

Yep. Some tough love is in order here.

Interesting because that fits the behavioral pattern of victims of sexually assault AND our college campuses have a fair amount of that. I would hope that her parents hold off on the "tough love" bravado and require her to seek mental health counseling until some reasons for her behavior become more evident.

Bottom line is she is not the relation of any of you so what business is it of yours to pass judgement?

That was rhetorical...the answer is it is none of your business by any stretch of the imagination.

This forum is the modern day knitting circle full of ninnies gossiping about other peoples' personal business.

grin.gif

You're right, it's none of my business what the mother or daughter do. Except for the very real possibility that the daughter will become every taxpayers problem, if the coddled little snowflake stays on the course she is on.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The real epidemic is the proportion of people over 65 who are still in the workforce, occupying management positions, and constipating the upward mobility of career progression. Most of them can retire and not work a day again, they just choose to keep working for selfish reasons.

Why are their reasons for working any more selfish than those of anyone else?

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
In my area we call it multi-generational living.

Over here we call it Whanau, a Maori word meaning extended family. The extended family is very important - brothers and sisters, uncles and aunties, parents and grandparents, grandchildren. It's how I was brought up, and it's how I want my children to live - that they are welcome to come here anytime, and that at some time in the future, I may need to live with them.

When my wife was younger, she lived in the garage at her grandparents place, while her parents put together money for a house, and then built it. For a couple of years we lived in a caravan with 2 young boys in the backyard of the mother in laws place, using a corner of the garage for kitchen and office. Later my 2 daughters arrived with a caravan each. One daughter was back there a few years later, with daughter living in a single room sleepout. Now the sister in law is living in the backyard in a similar sleepout, while the bro in law sleeps in a van. When building our new garage, we put a sleepout on the end for my daughter and granddaughter.

I have no problem with helping out, or being helped...it's what you do for family.

Most of them can retire and not work a day again, they just choose to keep working for selfish reasons.

Isn't my point self-explanatory? I don't know how to make it any more concise. Respectfully yours,

Most of them can retire and not work a day again, they just choose to keep working for selfish reasons.

Isn't my point self-explanatory? I don't know how to make it any more concise. Respectfully yours,

You seem to think you know why people over 65 are still working. I submit that you may not know their situation as well as you think you do.

I did not call landlords "greedy". I simply pointed out that rent prices have increased rapidly and this presents one more obstacle to a young man or woman just starting out.

I would add that it is quite common today for rental apartments to require a first, last and a security deposit today so basically 3 times one month rent must be paid in cash prior to being approved for a lease. It didn't use to be this way...it was often first and last. In fact, it was often first and a few hundred dollars.
Again, I am not saying this makes a landlord "greedy", and I can appreciate why a property owner wishes to protect themselves in a rental situation; however, this does make it more difficult for a young person to move into an apartment.

Another example is that apartment managers require a high credit score today from prospective tenants and many young people have no credit history so cannot pass the rental applicant background check. A background check which typically costs the applicant atleast a $50 application/processing fee. Non-refundable. That was not the norm even 20 years ago.

Many retirees that I know have pulled their money out of the stock market and bought rental properties in fast growing areas like the Front Range of Colorado. They now find themselves owning rental properties. Nothing against them but when investors are buying 2 and 3 homes for cash then they are removing those homes from the market and those homes are no longer available to young couples or families just getting started in life and hoping to buy their first home.

These are not excuses. They are simple facts. They are all contributing factors as to why a young person today might be living at their parents' home with the goal of saving money or knocking down their student loan debt.

Sorry, the original poster was just blaming greedy landlords. Not really sure that's a legit point. I also do apartment rentals and own rental property so I'm well aware of the business. All those factors you mentioned are just legitimate methods to end up with good tenants. Landlords are free to set whatever terms the law will allow. If they're too restrictive, then it doesn't get rent. It's just supply and demand. If someone feels that an apartment is priced too high, then it's really because they can't afford it, not that the landlord is greedy.

"Bottom line is she is not the relation of any of you so what business is it of yours to pass judgement? "

"That was rhetorical...the answer is it is none of your business by any stretch of the imagination."

And yet you pass judgement on us saying that tough love is somehow part of a family behavioral issue? Wow. Today's kids do have high expectations but they also need to learn to be realistic. Getting a masters in women's studies or in wildlife psychology has little hope for a real job. I've worked with plenty of them over the years. Fresh out of school, the real world job atmosphere is a shock to most. Many want a job but they don't want to work. College for them was a social experience. They then expect that same experience in their jobs. Places like Google and Apple promote work just like that, a social experience. However, the majority of jobs means getting up every day and showing up on time and presentable. Working overtime, double shifts, rotating shifts, these are the reality of the real world job atmosphere.

Nothing was handed to the boomers either. This is the response of younger people today who have been brainwashed by the govt public school system. Participation trophies are a sick example of a feeble society. It used to be that if you didn't win you congratulated the winner. Sportsmanship is what they call it. Being afraid to make mistakes is another symptom. How can you learn if you don't make them?

Today's youngsters do need to be nimble. Automation, robots and hiring foreign visa workers or outsourcing threaten even the more stable jobs today. Not everyone can make $100k or more.

Finally, as a boomer I feel I had a advantage as both of my parents lived through the Depression and WW2. Learning to adapt and overcome was standard then and they passed along some good knowledge. I'm grateful to them for that.

I apologize for the rant.

Last edited:

You seem to think you know why people over 65 are still working. I submit that you may not know their situation as well as you think you do.

I'm talking about the people who meet two conditions. They must meet both conditions. And I have seen it A LOT.

These people

1. Are baby boomers, currently working in a management or high-level position,
AND
2. They have sufficient resources to retire, but deliberately choose not to do so,
THEREFORE
Career opportunities for others are being limited by their selfishness.

EXAMPLE: A 60-65 year old airline captain who could have retired and drawn a pension and military retirement benefits, but chose to remain glued to his seat. Meanwhile, at the bottom of the food chain, an overworked regional jet pilot - let's call him a good for nothing Millennial, can't make his flight school payments on $16.50 or less an hour. He dreams of flying for the majors some day but probably won't be able to make it long enough in the business to remain financially solvent. His path to the left seat at the regional airline, and then eventually to the bottom of the seniority list at a major airline, is blocked by a lack of, let's say, career motility, created by the selfish man at the top.

I know that there are boomers out there who are financially in bad shape. I'm not talking about them in this example.

Are we all right now?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I have 2 pensions (company and voluntary)
My wife has 3 pensions (company, voluntary and AF Reserve - retired Major)

Nothing wrong about working long term and collecting very good benefits instead of being a grasshopper, bouncing around from job to job and nothing to show for.

Young folks say the 'American Dream' is dead.... they are very foolish to think that way.

Ok I am not American...so my participation in that topic will be/is limited....

But I would like to know what was your reason (if that is not too personal!) to start/build military career (I mean military only)

I am assuming that you joined your military as a "millenial"
smile.gif

Last edited:

Are we all right now?

I guess that's up to you.

I've had a few careers. One of which was starting my own business, working harder than any employer could legally force me to, and ultimately having some success and selling that business in my 30's. Essentially retired for all intents and purposes.

Then I started a new gig as a hobby, learned all I could, and now contract my services to make sure the machines I know inside and out are running as good as possible.

Could others do my job? There's probably less than 100 people that have the unique knowledge and experience that I do.

Should I step aside so that somebody else can have a chance?

I'm in my 40's, is it okay if I keep doing a job that owners of these machines willingly to pay me well to do? I don't need to do the job, but I enjoy it.

So, am I being selfish?

02SE, respectfully, your situation, as you described it, does not fit the framework of what I characterized as selfish behavior.

Then I started a new gig as a hobby, learned all I could, and now contract my services to make sure the machines I know inside and out are running as good as possible.

Could others do my job? There's probably less than 100 people that have the unique knowledge and experience that I do.

Should I step aside so that somebody else can have a chance?

Cruel reality....

P.S.: at the end Mr. Smith is looking at his notes that the new CEO discarded
smile.gif

I'm talking about the people who meet two conditions. They must meet both conditions. And I have seen it A LOT.

These people

1. Are baby boomers, currently working in a management or high-level position,
AND
2. They have sufficient resources to retire, but deliberately choose not to do so,
THEREFORE
Career opportunities for others are being limited by their selfishness.

EXAMPLE: A 60-65 year old airline captain who could have retired and drawn a pension and military retirement benefits, but chose to remain glued to his seat. Meanwhile, at the bottom of the food chain, an overworked regional jet pilot - let's call him a good for nothing Millennial, can't make his flight school payments on $16.50 or less an hour. He dreams of flying for the majors some day but probably won't be able to make it long enough in the business to remain financially solvent. His path to the left seat at the regional airline, and then eventually to the bottom of the seniority list at a major airline, is blocked by a lack of, let's say, career motility, created by the selfish man at the top.

I know that there are boomers out there who are financially in bad shape. I'm not talking about them in this example.

Are we all right now?

I have no responsibility to stop contributing to the workplace or society for your benefit. My responsibility is to my family and to myself and even to my employer.
You are not on the list any more than I should be on your list of daily concerns.

What you are basically saying is that jobs should be given to those most in need (a difficult thing to measure) rather than those most qualified for the job.

Perhaps you should look for work in the public sector where madatory age for retirement sometimes exists.

"Bottom line is she is not the relation of any of you so what business is it of yours to pass judgement? "

"That was rhetorical...the answer is it is none of your business by any stretch of the imagination."

And yet you pass judgement on us saying that tough love is somehow part of a family behavioral issue? Wow. Today's kids do have high expectations but they also need to learn to be realistic. Getting a masters in women's studies or in wildlife psychology has little hope for a real job. I've worked with plenty of them over the years. Fresh out of school, the real world job atmosphere is a shock to most. Many want a job but they don't want to work. College for them was a social experience. They then expect that same experience in their jobs. Places like Google and Apple promote work just like that, a social experience. However, the majority of jobs means getting up every day and showing up on time and presentable. Working overtime, double shifts, rotating shifts, these are the reality of the real world job atmosphere.

Nothing was handed to the boomers either. This is the response of younger people today who have been brainwashed by the govt public school system. Participation trophies are a sick example of a feeble society. It used to be that if you didn't win you congratulated the winner. Sportsmanship is what they call it. Being afraid to make mistakes is another symptom. How can you learn if you don't make them?

Today's youngsters do need to be nimble. Automation, robots and hiring foreign visa workers or outsourcing threaten even the more stable jobs today. Not everyone can make $100k or more.

Finally, as a boomer I feel I had a advantage as both of my parents lived through the Depression and WW2. Learning to adapt and overcome was standard then and they passed along some good knowledge. I'm grateful to them for that.

I apologize for the rant.

I have read through my posts and I don't see where I indicated "tough love is somehow part of a family behavioral issue".

To be honest, I am not even sure what you are trying to say.

I have no responsibility to stop contributing to the workplace or society for your benefit. My responsibility is to my family and to myself and even to my employer.
You are not on the list any more than I should be on your list of daily concerns.

What you are basically saying is that jobs should be given to those most in need (a difficult thing to measure) rather than those most qualified for the job.

Perhaps you should look for work in the public sector where madatory age for retirement sometimes exists.

I, I, I, me me me, my, my, my! That's all I see in your post.
The "ME!" mentality of baby boomers has resulted in Millennial misfortune.

Hmmm, wonder how ALL these millennials are so garsh darn awful?

I'm a millennial so I can tell you:
Biggest contributor is parenting. A lot of spoiled brats when I grew up and always they had the cool parents (weren't disciplined). These kids have grown up their entire lives getting almost everything they've wanted and almost never getting disciplined.

Hating millennials without acknowledging the biggest contributor of how they got to be that way is utter ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back