Millenials living at home epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

So these kids signing away their 20s, 30s, and 40s to paying back student loans are SUCKERS. Nobody is forcing them at gunpoint to attend expensive schools. No sympathy.

While I agree with your post that nobody is holding a gun to their head, you have to realize the current educational environment. I graduated from high school in 2008. Trade schools, learning a skill, etc, were all options that were taught to kids, especially since I attended an agricultural high school. The counselors taught kids to keep your options open, but also be realistic with your life goals.

My youngest sister graduated in 2016. I couldn't believe the bull the counselors were feeding her at her school. She had thought about a trade and the counselors basically told her she needed a degree from a good college or she wouldn't be able to get a job and be successful. The same thing was preached to me during college, you won't get anywhere without a master's, PhD, etc. It is all a business.

Nobody is forcing these kids to go to $100k/yr schools or to take out $80k in loans.

Education can be had for very reasonable prices but everyone scoffs at the idea of attending a community college for Gen Ed or going to a state ag school.

I have no sympathy for the student loan whiners. Those people couldn't do the simple math to realize that they'd be paying back loans for 20 years after finishing a 4 year degree.

This.

There are plenty of large state schools where you will receive a good education at a reasonable price, and graduate in 4-5 years with a degree you can actually use. You may have some debt, but it will be far from a $300k loan for some obscure degree that makes you almost unemployable.

There are also trade schools. Not everyone is a good fit for a 4-year university, and that's not meant as a put-down.

apparently, [code:html] doesn't work
frown.gif

I was born to prents in their 40's & 50's. After a hitch in the Army I stayed at home taking care of my parents. We split all expenses, groceries, property taxes, insurance, electricy, water bil and ll others.

I worked full time in management at the largest RV manufacturer, I was not a burden to my parents in any way, at least that I know of.

I also was exucetor of the estate and received the house and property as payment for what I did. All the rest was split 3 ways with my brothers.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...t-work-or-study

What is wrong with this generation? Ever since I can remember I've always dreamed of living on my own, in my own place, and taking care of my own affairs.

The whole "but my loans!" excuse is such nonsense. The "I'm just doing it for a few years to save money" is also nonsense.

Too many of these lazy slobs don't even shop for their own groceries, do their own laundry, or even do anything other than sleep and work. How are these people ever going to learn how to take care of themselves and think on their own? What we're going to be left with is a bunch of 30+ year old entitled idiots who have the mental development of an 18 year old.

I hate everyone today.

There are two kinds of millennials that live at home. The ones who are actually financially smart and do so to save money, while also helping their parents, and the ones who are lazy pieces of ____ . Thinking they are the same shows how far you are from the reality of today's entry level job world.

I moved home after college. I graduated with NO DEBT due to working two jobs, and was planning on buying my own house. The goal was to save for a year or two then buy the house. Well, I got laid off because of State cuts, so that didn't happen as quickly. My new job pays half what the old one did, but I managed to save money and move in with a friend for the time being. While home I paid rent to my parents, helped with their cars, yard work, paid for home repairs, etc. I've been working since I was 10. I mowed lawns and worked on a farm until 16 when I could get a real job.

My sister on the other hand moved out ASAP. She can't afford it. She has high rent, student loans, and soon a car payment. I've loaned her money numerous times for gas and other things she really shouldn't have needed loans for. She may have had more "freedom" at a younger age, but I'd say her decisions were not as financially smart. She isn't really independent at all when she needs to borrow all the time, and she has about 50 dollars to her name.

I have friends who still live at home because their 7-8 year loans on their brand new cars are more important. I'd say that is a bit different from my situation, even though I was technically one of those "millennials living at home".
21.gif

Actually paying rent to parents and helping them out isn't who I was referring to. It's the ones who live rent-free, don't do [censored] around the house, only care about themselves, and complain to mommy and daddy whenever something goes wrong.

My son move back in for the summer he graduated with 2 majors and will soon be moving to Utah to get his PHD and my daughter will probably live at home forever because she has 2 stupid horses.

Here's how an interview with someone fresh out of college with no job experience goes:

"So it looks like you didn't work or participate in any extra curricular activities while you were in school for 4 years. What did you do in your free time?"
"Uhhhh"
*resume goes into trash*

So these kids signing away their 20s, 30s, and 40s to paying back student loans are SUCKERS. Nobody is forcing them at gunpoint to attend expensive schools. No sympathy.

While I agree with your post that nobody is holding a gun to their head, you have to realize the current educational environment. I graduated from high school in 2008. Trade schools, learning a skill, etc, were all options that were taught to kids, especially since I attended an agricultural high school. The counselors taught kids to keep your options open, but also be realistic with your life goals.

My youngest sister graduated in 2016. I couldn't believe the bull the counselors were feeding her at her school. She had thought about a trade and the counselors basically told her she needed a degree from a good college or she wouldn't be able to get a job and be successful. The same thing was preached to me during college, you won't get anywhere without a master's, PhD, etc. It is all a business.

"Just get that degree, no matter what the cost" is pretty much what was ingrained into kids' heads 10 years ago. Now people are starting to question this, or at least pay closer attention to the costs.

Where does everyone get their high horses around these parts?

It seems like the population is increasing at an alarming rate, and we might want to start treating them as an invasive species before it gets out of hand.
18.gif

"Just get that degree, no matter what the cost" is pretty much what was ingrained into kids' heads 10 years ago. Now people are starting to question this, or at least pay closer attention to the costs.

Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs has been quite vocal about this problem. There is NOTHING wrong with trade schools but higher education has demonized anything but a PhD.

How many people who spent 5 years and $400k on a bachelor's degree are now working minimum wage at a Starbucks? I wonder how many of those would rather have gone to trade school and became an electrician and would now be a business owner pulling in $75k+ a year?

Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs has been quite vocal about this problem. There is NOTHING wrong with trade schools but higher education has demonized anything but a PhD.

How many people who spent 5 years and $400k on a bachelor's degree are now working minimum wage at a Starbucks? I wonder how many of those would rather have gone to trade school and became an electrician and would now be a business owner pulling in $75k+ a year?

I don't think there's anyone out there who spent 5 years in college and 400k, and is now employed full-time by Starbucks making $ 7.25/hr. I get your point, but that's an extreme and not very factual example.

And that goes all the way to the high school level. When I wanted to go to vocational high school (I did, too), I was told that I was too smart. The look on the guidance counselor's face was quite funny when I pointed out that the vocational course I wanted to take , which was for "stupid" people, used 4 of the SAME EXACT text books that were used at a local state university ... go figure.

They really push college education hard and to people who don't have the world experience to take a logical look at it. A lot of parents want what is best for their children and they encourage their children to go to college. Most of the people in my generation have parents who didn't go to college and very likely regret it. They felt it was a better option and try to push their kids into it

I don't think there's anyone out there who spent 5 years in college and 400k, and is now employed full-time by Starbucks making $ 7.25/hr. I get your point, but that's an extreme and not very factual example.

No but I'm sure there are plenty of art, history, psychology, music, etc. degrees with huge debt that are making near minimum wage. Parents and kids were sold the bill of goods that the only way was a college degree no matter what that was. The reality is many degrees, you need more than 4 and even those that don't there are limited jobs that don't pay all too much.

In my industry (IT), it can be done by anyone anywhere. Luckily I'm out in 13 years @ 55. I feel for those getting into this business now as it's starting to go through what manufacturing did previously with shipping jobs to low wage countries.

Would be smarter to get today's kids into the trades. When your plumbing goes, your electricity needs repairs, etc. they are not going to send someone from 1/2 a world away to fix that. And there is good money to be made there. And those jobs are not going anywhere.

About as factual as those who think 50 somethings bought a house for $25k that is now worth $650k. I see that too in this thread.

The is some truth and a whole lot of hyperbole on both sides of the debate.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

No but I'm sure there are plenty of art, history, psychology, music, etc. degrees with huge debt that are making near minimum wage. Parents and kids were sold the bill of goods that the only way was a college degree no matter what that was. The reality is many degrees, you need more than 4 and even those that don't there are limited jobs that don't pay all too much.

In my industry (IT), it can be done by anyone anywhere. Luckily I'm out in 13 years @ 55. I feel for those getting into this business now as it's starting to go through what manufacturing did previously with shipping jobs to low wage countries.

Would be smarter to get today's kids into the trades. When your plumbing goes, your electricity needs repairs, etc. they are not going to send someone from 1/2 a world away to fix that. And there is good money to be made there. And those jobs are not going anywhere.

I tell people that if your job can be done with a keyboard, it can be done anywhere in the world.

What isn't getting automated is getting outsourced.

Unless is .GOV or .MIL where there is a citizenship requirement, many things can be sent to other places that care and pay less.

Advice for young adults.

- Stay out of trouble and choose your friends wisely
- Better to have no friends than poisonous fake friends
- Work a part-time job, this definitely makes you wiser and opens your eyes to the politics of any workplace (I learned this at 15 years old working at Publix Supermarket). Many young folks think it's below them to work retail or fast food.
- Get a relevant college degree
- First 2 years at community college, transfer credits to a 4 year school
- Community college credits are very inexpensive and best kept secret
- While in college apply for internship (example: all GE businesses have 1 year paid internship)
- At internship work your *** off and treat it like a daily job interview
- Don't show up 45 minutes late because Starbucks drive thru was busy
- Put down stupid cellphone and prove you have what it takes to get job(s) done
- Understand you are expected to do the 'grunt work' others did when they interned
- Network while at internship with employees and vendors, lots of job leads
- Your work ethic and good attitude will open doors of opportunity
- Job postings that are not open can open with the team / boss approving of you
- Be content with spending as little money as a student ($4000 car and Android Tracfone)
- No need to spend money trying to 'fake it till you make it'
- Be willing to take an entry level job, it opens doors to a better job in the future
- Realize that no job is perfect and do your best in any situation

Sorry for my long rant, have a great weekend. I forgot to mention I have an Associates degree in electronics from Community College of the Air Force and Business degree from University of Florida.

Dave

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Where does everyone get their high horses around these parts?

It seems like the population is increasing at an alarming rate, and we might want to start treating them as an invasive species before it gets out of hand.
18.gif

thumbsup2.gif

So, I got a liberal arts degree around 20 years back. Went in straight out of high school.

-- I had contempt for my parents. Still do, but did, too. Boarding school was great because I could "discover myself" and I did splendidly after removing their daily toxicity from my life.

-- My (private) college gave me a great financial aid package as a freshman but they went from issuing grants into loans the deeper I got into my years of study. SCAM! I told my dad I wasn't crazy about starting life with loans in my name but he said, eh, get 'em, we'll figure out who pays them after you graduate. SCAM! 'twas me.

-- My BA degree was pretty useless but I did college radio and got into broadcasting. I moved to a place with a low cost of living so my low wages kept the roof over my head. That started out interesting but as automation crept into my job I segued into being an underpaid, underappreciated IT guy. The environment got toxic so I got into

-- fixing submarines as an apprentice mechanic for the Navy. A job that's half physical and half mental, with all the paperwork and deciphering "engineer-ease". They made my class take all sorts of math & physics courses as well, defying the idea that if someone bombs these classes in high school they should get into the trades.

People need to be contrarian. If everyone is spending money on degrees, that field of study will be saturated with recent graduates in 4 years when it's your turn. The economy right now is hot, get into a job and get some work experience-- you can always go to school in the next recession. Work might even pay for your night school! Spend money on something there's a shortage of like land.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

- Realize that no job is perfect and do your best in any situation

This has got to be the best piece of advice in this entire thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back