Millenials living at home epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success can be had in blue collar jobs. It takes work and drive.
That is College propaganda there.
You work hard and you excell at what you do, you will go places. I don't care if it's cleaning toilets, you have the cleanest toilets and someone will notice. My wife does not have a college degree and is in a management position of 67 people which are professionals with degrees. The company chose her for the position over people with college degrees because she is able to get people to work together and get the jobs done.
Don't believe you need a college education to succeed band if you have one you automatically do.
That's the propaganda they sell to kids and parents and that's thier issue. My generation had 18% interest on houses, houses weren't any cheaper because min.wage was $3.35. Chevy cavalier was $9899.
When I meet a college kid with caulous hands, I ll listen to what he says till then you expect a pipe dream.

Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveodland/2012/03/24/college-costs-are-soaring/#60c5edb81f86

College is expensive. Ask any family with post-secondary students and they will tell you just how outrageous are the costs of college education today. And yes, gas, food, and life in general are expensive. But college costs have risen much faster than average inflation for decades so this isn’t a short-term phenomenon. College costs are soaring, seemingly all on their own.

CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/16/why-college-costs-are-so-high-and-rising.html

At public, four-year schools, tuition and fees cost about $9,139 this year. In the 1971 school year, they added up to less than $500 in current dollars, according to the College Board.

There is ample proof that college costs have far exceeded the inflation rate over the past 40-50 years but old guys heads are like concrete...facts don't make any difference.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Have you actually spoken to any young college graduates recently?

And I am not talking about the ones whose parents paid all their school expenses and gave them a credit card to boot OR allow them to mooch like you describe in your second post.

Time to step out of the 1950's, grandpa, because it is a completely different America for a young person today.

School costs have skyrocketed compared to inflation over the past 40 years. Universities are no longer a place of higher learning...they are businesses and trying to make a profit.

I agree that young people today sometimes lack drive but try to imagine how your own life would have been if employers told you that you don't even get an interview without a degree and getting one has now saddled you with a $40K student loan at 6% or more APR and even following all the rules and getting that piece of paper does not give you great odds you will even find a job in todays professional job market.

These college kids really have something to be grumpy about...guys who grew up when you & I did when college degrees were optional and good careers and the American Dream were within reach of everyone don't have a reason to be grumpy...we should be thanking our lucky stars we grew up back then.

You can get a 2-year degree for under 10k. Moving onto a 4-year state school will probably cost 12k before any scholarships or discounts. These are cash flowable amounts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You must live a really unhappy life to make a post about something like this, and rant and rave. You must be the stereotypical old man yelling "get off my lawn!"

Loans are nonsense? The older generations had it all handed to them. Pentions, retirement plans, high wages, cheap housing, cheap cars, cheap medical costs. All of that doesn't really exist too much these days.

You must live at home in your parents' basement.

The pension went away and was replaced with a matching 401k. If you take that and invest the remainder into a Roth 401k when you start working, you'll likely be better off than a pension could ever treat you. The government is broke and there's no way I'd trust them to manage my golden year funding.

Looking at the minimum wage, we actually get paid a little more today than in the late 80's. Adjusted for inflation, the average car is about the same today, and is way better. Housing was cheap but borrowing the money was not. Healthcare is a disaster, I agree with that.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Loans are nonsense? The older generations had it all handed to them. Pentions, retirement plans, high wages, cheap housing, cheap cars, cheap medical costs. All of that doesn't really exist too much these days.

If you really believe that, you are very naive.

Come on guys.

You are going to accuse the kid of being naive because he says we had cheap medical costs in our day?

Seriously?

You are honestly the only person I have ever met who can suggest medical costs have not skyrocketed.
Heck, many employers don't even offer health insurance these days.

Notice to young millenials on this forum.

Be warned: when you reach your 50's you too will have lost any concept of reality but that fact won't stop you from complaining nonsense.
grin.gif

This topic always pops up on here in various forms. I think it's safe to say that there might be more than one type of Millenial living at home. That can depend on the person as well as the demographics among many other things.

Between the "pulled up by my bootstraps" and the generational pontificating, you might eventually get a discussion about millenials living at home. I'm a Boomer so I don't really care..that's the stereotype at least, so I have to play it up and give them what they want.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I have lived on my own since I was kicked out at 18 right after a bad car crash that I am still dealing with to this day. Was homeless for a little while but I made it on my own. Finishing up my degree in statistics, married and have a little princess due in a little over a month. I am almost 22 now....some would say I have ruined my life and some say I have done a lot with the circumstances I had been given. Either way I am very happy and NOT living at home.

You have alot to be proud of.

It sounds like you were dealt some bad cards right off the bat and played your hand well.

I don't know why anyone would say you have ruined your life?

The general opinion of people my age and younger is that having kids at 20 is a big mistake. At least in liberal seattle and california where we are from. There is no way we planned this (in their minds...we did actually). People wait much longer to have kids in this day of age

Originally Posted By: 02SE

If you really believe that, you are very naive.

Come on guys.

You are going to accuse the kid of being naive because he says we had cheap medical costs in our day?

Seriously?

You are honestly the only person I have ever met who can suggest medical costs have not skyrocketed.
Heck, many employers don't even offer health insurance these days.

Notice to young millenials on this forum.

Be warned: when you reach your 50's you too will have lost any concept of reality but that fact won't stop you from complaining nonsense.
grin.gif

Actually, my medical costs have skyrocketed only since Obamacare was forced upon us. Despite being lied to that "If you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance" I was forced to buy an inferior policy with LESS coverage, with much higher costs. I'm apparently in the group subsidizing all those who get OPM from .Gov to pay for their insurance.

That's the one exception in the examples he mentioned. And in my experience is directly related to the Obamacare mandate.

All the other examples listed by the person I quoted, are red herrings.

I was on my own at 16 me and the girl at that time moved out of state and we got hit with reality real quick. Her father wasn't to happy and we heard thru others he told them he had the Texas Rangers looking for us (we told everyone we where going to Texas but went to Virginia).

He had some stupid ultimatum "either have her back in 2 weeks or I'm going to get you" I thought finally a out... I got her a bus ticket and she sat by the window crying with make up on. I nearly busted my lip biting on it trying not to laugh.

Not the nicest thing in the world but we where young and she was the type who didn't want you to leave their sight and I didn't know about it till then.

I think our generation (I'm 59) where the do it your self generation. Most of us got kicked out mid highschool and we never really had the option for help all though many us needed the help at some point or another along the way.

I think it's mainly just them folks remembering the troubles they had and don't want the same for their children. I would like to think it's just them looking out but I think it does effect their independence.

Also in many places around the world families are a lot closer. It's not uncommon in many places for 3 generations to be living together. Once you get all 3 generations the elderly tend to retire about the time the youngest generation has their children. They tend to look after the children while the mid generation looks after their parents if needed and works with the youngest generation.

It's not all that uncommon and I do think it's part of human nature to care for your children and your parents.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Why do you care if kids are living with their parents? Does it affect you?

Yes, it does. It makes my neighborhood more crowded and noisy. There are extra cars and extra traffic, they stay up to late hours, have parties, constantly have friends over. Some have their girlfriend/boyfriends move in. Its just a mess. I hate these loser's.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Nobody is forcing these kids to go to $100k/yr schools or to take out $80k in loans.

Education can be had for very reasonable prices but everyone scoffs at the idea of attending a community college for Gen Ed or going to a state ag school.

I have no sympathy for the student loan whiners. Those people couldn't do the simple math to realize that they'd be paying back loans for 20 years after finishing a 4 year degree.

I have to agree, at least mostly. Some jobs require very expensive and lengthy schooling. Overall, however, most jobs/careers can be obtained with much less expensive schooling. College costs have sky rocketed simply because anyone and their dog can get student loans......and do. There are plenty of lower costs schools to be had such as trade schools and even non-profit colleges/universities. In my case, I MADE money by getting my Bachelors (grants+employer reimbursement). Otherwise, it would have cost me a whopping $6,000. My MBA? I paid a staggering $7,000 with no grants or scholarships or employer reimbursement (Western Governors University). Where they Harvard degrees? Nope. But they are accredited and worked just fine for me. Did both degrees while working full time and raising 4 kids. Just trying to illustrate that it can be done and there ARE other choices than taking on stupid amounts of debt to go to school. Also, I had NOTHING handed to me (probably because parents were poor and had nothing to hand to me!). I was out at 18 and on my own since. My situation is not and was not everyone's, I understand that. But, there ARE alternatives.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Yes, it does. It makes my neighborhood more crowded and noisy. There are extra cars and extra traffic, they stay up to late hours, have parties, constantly have friends over. Some have their girlfriend/boyfriends move in. Its just a mess. I hate these loser's.

Wow, if I was in that situation I'd pull myself up by some mystical bootstraps and work hard to move to a better neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Wow, if I was in that situation I'd pull myself up by some mystical bootstraps and work hard to move to a better neighborhood.

I'd like someone to do research to find where these neighborhoods are. It seems the more well off they are, the lazier they are. They are sitting on their behinds waiting for inheritance. I see a lot of parents busting their tails pinching pennies to leave their kids the maximum amount of wealth possible.

Look at the snooty snotty responses from the 20 something's here. I rest my case.

Last edited:
I'd like someone to do research to find where these neighborhoods are. It seems the more well off they are, the lazier they are. They are sitting on their behinds waiting for inheritance. I see a lot of parents busting their tails pinching pennies to leave their kids the maximum amount of wealth possible.

Isn't this a big part of the problem? Do parents have no responsibility here? Was there extra radiation from the sun at the start of the 1980s that made the "millennial" generation mutated and weak?

and to the snooty snooty comment, I was trying to show some irony in your comment that instead of bettering yourself you are blaming "losers" for your situation.

Last edited:
That is a bunch of nonsense and you know it.
Out of the five in my family only one got a pension and he was a lazy loser that shopped for it.
Now he is home on life support. Sick no- so dang lazy he is shopping for a respirator. He's one of these poor me losers looking to suck the life blood out of others. " Freeloader"

Every person has a story and since 9-11-2001 everybody is hurting. And those old folks didn't have parents they could sponge off of. Also they went to war and got screwed and screwed again when they got home. If you think anybody before you had it easy- you don't know history.

You must live a really unhappy life to make a post about something like this, and rant and rave. You must be the stereotypical old man yelling "get off my lawn!"

Nobody is forcing these kids to go to $100k/yr schools or to take out $80k in loans.

Education can be had for very reasonable prices but everyone scoffs at the idea of attending a community college for Gen Ed or going to a state ag school.

I have no sympathy for the student loan whiners. Those people couldn't do the simple math to realize that they'd be paying back loans for 20 years after finishing a 4 year degree.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful but you really don't have a clue what the reality is for these young adults today.

Here is a good mental exercise for you...try to put yourself in someone else's shoes before you form such strong opinions.

There are not many 18-year-olds who understand the value of a dollar and the burden of a student loan. They are looking at their future and seeing that blue-collar work no longer puts them in reach of the American Dream.

And before you say that our generation knew what they were doing at 18...look at the number of divorces that our generation has had because they got married at 18 and were clueless as to what life was really about.

LOL I knew someone would assume I was older than I really am. Based on the current definition of the term, I AM a millennial.

So I DO know what reality is for young adults today because I am one.
lol.gif

And I defend my point. By the time you are 18, you'll understand the value of money because that time in life is VERY materialistic and you quickly learn that your allowance or PT job doesn't bring in enough to stay up with the trends.

So these kids signing away their 20s, 30s, and 40s to paying back student loans are SUCKERS. Nobody is forcing them at gunpoint to attend expensive schools. No sympathy.

One last irony for the millenials reading this.

I have coffee a few times a week with the very same demographic as the grumpy old guys flipping you [censored] on this thread AND you know what each one of them have complained about non-stop for the past 8 years?

That the American Dream has been destroyed and how they only wish the old days were still here...before our good jobs went overseas or were taken by illegals. Back when America was Great and there was Opportunity for young people starting out. Back when there was a Middle Class. Etc. Etc.

Its the very complaints that Trump tapped into and its why all of these same guys voted for him.

So please enjoy the irony of how they have all changed their tune 180* so that they can complain about you freeloaders.

For any young men and women reading this thread...please remember this...getting old is no [censored] fun. Our best years are long past and our bodies ache and we wake up grouchy for no good reason at all. We are angry that we are no longer productive and making a positive difference.
Make the most of your youth and your middle age because after that, even with our retirement accounts and pensions--life is not nearly the fun it was when we didn't require a little blue pill...or two.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...t-work-or-study

What is wrong with this generation? Ever since I can remember I've always dreamed of living on my own, in my own place, and taking care of my own affairs.

The whole "but my loans!" excuse is such nonsense. The "I'm just doing it for a few years to save money" is also nonsense.

Too many of these lazy slobs don't even shop for their own groceries, do their own laundry, or even do anything other than sleep and work. How are these people ever going to learn how to take care of themselves and think on their own? What we're going to be left with is a bunch of 30+ year old entitled idiots who have the mental development of an 18 year old.

I hate everyone today.

There are two kinds of millennials that live at home. The ones who are actually financially smart and do so to save money, while also helping their parents, and the ones who are lazy pieces of ____ . Thinking they are the same shows how far you are from the reality of today's entry level job world.

I moved home after college. I graduated with NO DEBT due to working two jobs, and was planning on buying my own house. The goal was to save for a year or two then buy the house. Well, I got laid off because of State cuts, so that didn't happen as quickly. My new job pays half what the old one did, but I managed to save money and move in with a friend for the time being. While home I paid rent to my parents, helped with their cars, yard work, paid for home repairs, etc. I've been working since I was 10. I mowed lawns and worked on a farm until 16 when I could get a real job.

My sister on the other hand moved out ASAP. She can't afford it. She has high rent, student loans, and soon a car payment. I've loaned her money numerous times for gas and other things she really shouldn't have needed loans for. She may have had more "freedom" at a younger age, but I'd say her decisions were not as financially smart. She isn't really independent at all when she needs to borrow all the time, and she has about 50 dollars to her name.

I have friends who still live at home because their 7-8 year loans on their brand new cars are more important. I'd say that is a bit different from my situation, even though I was technically one of those "millennials living at home".
21.gif

LOL I knew someone would assume I was older than I really am. Based on the current definition of the term, I AM a millennial.

So I DO know what reality is for young adults today because I am one.
lol.gif

And I defend my point. By the time you are 18, you'll understand the value of money because that time in life is VERY materialistic and you quickly learn that your allowance or PT job doesn't bring in enough to stay up with the trends.

So these kids signing away their 20s, 30s, and 40s to paying back student loans are SUCKERS. Nobody is forcing them at gunpoint to attend expensive schools. No sympathy.

Well you should have said so in the first place...I wouldn't have even paid you any mind because you are too young to know anything about anything
grin.gif

The older generation is so shocked at the generations they've raised because they've been sleeping. While they were busy reveling in their 24 grand house/property that's now worth 650 grand, and their sweet job they snagged and worked for maybe 40 years that they failed to notice how the WORLD has been changed. They ignore inflation, taxation, usury (by both financial and education institution), financial predation, and did I mention insane inflation? Yep, slept right though it all because the changes were steady and incremental. They missed all the crony corruption behind basic services too--ie we pay orders of magnitude more for basic services than was ever imaginable in the 70s. They were too busy patting themselves on the back and deriding subsequent generations that they simply didn't notice how anything and everything has changed for the worse until one day, in 2017, when they finally notice something is amiss. They can't understand any of it because their parenting was so perfect and beyond reproach! Such confusion now, where did they go wrong? "Why are so many kids living at home? I know! They must be lazy and entitled, not like hard-working, disciplined meeeeeee. Boy howdy, they sure don't make em like they used to"

Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back