milage vs. tailgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever figured out their gas milage with their pickup's tailgate up vs. milage with the tailgate down?

patriot.gif

I put a soft top on my bed. I noted a slight (0.5) mpg improvement, but I cant say that its statistically significant over my entire usage since the truck is new. Ive had the top on for three years now, and sometimes I get good tanks, sometimes not as good.

I think there was an aerodynamical study done that showed that tailgate up actually improves efficiency, because of the dead air zone behind the cab.

JMH

someone with a scan-tool that gives instant and trip MPG did a test on the same stretch of road, same speed, etc and it netted at most a 0.4-0.5 MPG difference. 1psi difference in your tires would give the same results.

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
someone with a scan-tool that gives instant and trip MPG did a test on the same stretch of road, same speed, etc and it netted at most a 0.4-0.5 MPG difference. 1psi difference in your tires would give the same results.

If we saw the same test, tailgate up gave the better mileage.

GM did a study on this. Driving with your tailgate down hurts your mileage. In my experience I have learned this, people will do dumb things such as this .... .. and they will instantly change their driving habits to get better mileage and wrongly attribute it to what they did to the vehicle. I think its kinda dumb when I see it myself.

There is an existing thread on this topic somewhere and it is less than 1 year old. Perhaps someone will post the link and redirect everyone.

Contrary to the Michigan test, my mileage went up from 22mpg to 24mpg to and from work with the tailgate removed.

Thanks for the link. I had previously heard about the air bubble contained by the tailgate helping airflow. Now I have documentation.
The study begs the question: how does a full topper affect drag and lift? My intuition says this would be the best combo. Odd that they didn't throw this in. Must've run out of styrofoam....

Wuli: Maybe your tailgate is made from concrete rather than the required styrofoam.

Would it be wrong to say that two out of three women engineers at UofM are handsome? Yes, I reckon it would....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back