Might try Shell’s new Rotella for Gas Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 V8, which I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 and also a 2018 GMC Acadia with a 3.6 V6 running Mobil 1 5W-30.

I'm thinking of switching to Shell Rotella For Gas Truck 0W-20 for the Tahoe and the same in 5W-30 for the Acadia for my next oil changes.

I'm more anxious to switching the Acadia than I am the Tahoe, because of the Acadia's past history with timing chain issues. My grandfather used to be an over the road trucker, back in the 1950's and a diesel mechanic for years after that, so I grew up on Shell Rotella oil, because of the high detergents, and how clean it kept an engine. I know the synthetic isn't the same formulation as the Dino was, however, I, am assuming that the synthetic version is very high detergent also.

I only put about six thousand miles on the Acadia in the first year, and am on track to put on the same for the Tahoe, so I'm going for 5k OCI. Most of my driving is trips shorter than ten miles at a time, and rarely do I drive twenty miles or more anymore, I do, but, not more than once every couple weeks.

I figure if I start with a higher detergent oil early on in the life of the engine, and stick with it, it will give me a happy motor for a long, long, time. I've used Mobil 1 since I got away from my grandpa changing my oil in the late seventies, but, I'm switching back to all Shell products. No fault of Mobil 1, I have been plenty happy with it over the years. We are using Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability in our eight work vehicles. We have noticed in the Nissan Frontiers, and Toyota Tacoma's, is that those oils, seem to be quiet oils, at least more so than the Dino we were running before.

Last edited:
more information about these mysterious truck blends would be great. If only shell had said they were going to have answers to questions by January 28th....

I wouldn't expect the detergents to be any higher than any oil with similar specifications. However, I'd clearly have no problem using them. I'd like to see more information about the oils, which we will, but that's just me being a BITOGer. I'd use them without hesitation in any application for which they are specified.

If you're looking at something with higher detergency, elevated HTHS, or higher starting TBN, there are suitable products in the ROTELLA line. They just won't have a dexos1 logo on them.

OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® Gas Truck Full Synthetic Engine Oil

Chrysler MS-6395
Ford WSS- WSS-M2C945-B1
GM dexos1â„¢ Gen 2

You're a lucky man or maybe a little eccentric. Two brand new suv's and nowhere to go. Gas Truck specific oil seems like a gimmick. Stay with Dexos1 gen2 which should be just as good or better plus all the major brands carry it. This new Gas Truck stuff may not always be easy to find and may be a lot pricier.

The Rotella Gas Truck is dexos1. I have no idea how Shell plans to market it, but expect it to be priced competitively at a Shell distributor. I can't see it costing more than something like, say, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, at a full line Shell distributor.

I'm gonna give it a try. Maybe it's nostalgia, with the Rotella name, who knows? I do know it will be good oil at the very least. I have a lot of miles to go before either vehicle need an oil change, so I'm sure I'll read more about it before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back