might put 10-30 ultra in VW 1.8 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is for my sisters passat, she had burned a qt of synpower 5-40 in 7, 000 miles and i noticed she was due for a OC...car has 84k on it...i know 5-40 syn is reccomended but i just want her to change it soon instead of waiting to go to stealership, her and my bil are notorious for engine abuse and i dont want engine to crud up totally

Happy with the MC 5w20 now but was thinking of trying a 10w30 MC or Ultra just for curiosity.

Originally Posted By: chet2
this is for my sisters passat, she had burned a qt of synpower 5-40 in 7, 000 miles and i noticed she was due for a OC...car has 84k on it...i know 5-40 syn is reccomended but i just want her to change it soon instead of waiting to go to stealership, her and my bil are notorious for engine abuse and i dont want engine to crud up totally

If your in a hurry get some 5W40 Syntec from AZ. I wouldnt run Ultra 10W30 in that engine.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
What is the normal oil change interval for this car?

5K miles IIRC

This is the sludge-monster VW 1.8T and is even harder to keep clean than the transverse 1.8T engine used in my GTI. 3K mile OCIs or less with excellent synthetics is good practice IMO. Pennzoil Ultra 10W-30 should be a great choice for cleanliness and a fair choice in terms of viscosity. Overall, I say give it a shot.

If you would be found at fault in the minds of your sister or brother-in-law if an engine problem occurred, I say don't get involved in the car's maintenance.

Try 10w30 HM M1, cheap and has done wonders in my last 2 Passat 30Vs. 1.8Ts are hard on oil, but the 10w30 HM is A3 rated for long drains and you should be ok with 3k-5k changes with a large filter.

i am going to tell her to use M1 0-40...the normal maint practices are they dont have any unless i scream at her to change oil or sludge up the turbo...my bil has 297k on his camry and usually is 2 qts low with a OC every 25k if lucky... 2 weeks ago i told him he was 2 qts low so he bought the oil and 600 miles later ( 1 week) i put it in, classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back