Might purchase a 1991 Buick Reatta

I promise everyone a full photo dump ASAP. You're absolutely right: the 1991 model is hands down the most desirable of the series, which was a huge factor when considering the purchase.

Had it been anything earlier, I probably would have passed for one reason: TEVES brakes. The '91 models, with their conventional vacuum brakes and Bosch ABS module are far more reliable, save the one year only ABS sensor's up front.

The tricky thing about owning a vehicle such as this comes down to the multitude of unique (AKA irreplaceable) components. For example: the windshield for the Reatta has long been discontinued. From what I've read, assuming you can find a donor car and a glass guy capable/willing to R&R a used windshield, it's a $2k+ repair.

Same goes for the rear struts. Monroe, the sole remaining supplier, discontinued the part a couple 2-3 years ago. So far, there is no viable alternative.
I checked my TSB & PROM ID manual, all I've found is one TSB for plugs, the rest are nonsense
There's one for a shorted IAC motor, but if your car idles, I doubt that's a problem
This book goes up to '92, I've got up till '96 somewhere around here
If you want to see if there's a PROM/MemCal update, send me your ECM info and I'll check it against the book
PXL_20230315_003332046.jpg

All good, bro. Teslas are amazing, warts and all.

I take it none of yours had the steering wheel fall off in flight? Again, I kid.
I checked my TSB & PROM ID manual, all I've found is one TSB for plugs, the rest are nonsense
There's one for a shorted IAC motor, but if your car idles, I doubt that's a problem
This book goes up to '92, I've got up till '96 somewhere around here
If you want to see if there's a PROM/MemCal update, send me your ECM info and I'll check it against the book
View attachment 145009

Awesome information! Given it's age, and the amount of time it's been sitting, my plan is to give the mechanicals a full refresh. Fluids, plugs, filters, belt, etc. Much time has passed since that TSB was published... I'll be installing ACD Iridium plugs ASAP, with the mentality that they'll never have to be serviced again.

The IAC is a known issue with just about every 3800 of similar vintage. It's on the list as well.

Same goes for the rear struts. Monroe, the sole remaining supplier, discontinued the part a couple 2-3 years ago. So far, there is no viable alternative.
RockAuto has two ACDelco non air ride rear struts left
ACDelco 503358RS (aka 19166882 for the (non air rear suspension)
RPO:FE1 with the rear air struts 22064170 is proving difficult to find
Unfortunate 😔
Someone tried (and kinda succeeded) to fit rear struts from a similar Buick

SunCore makes a passive air shocks retrofit
A front kit is also available

Last edited:
RockAuto has two ACDelco non air ride rear struts left
ACDelco 503358RS (aka 19166882 for the (non air rear suspension)
RPO:FE1 with the rear air struts 22064170 is proving difficult to find
Unfortunate 😔
Someone tried (and kinda succeeded) to fit rear struts from a similar Buick

SunCore makes a passive air shocks retrofit
A front kit is also available

As far as I know, the Reatta never came with rear leveling struts. Yes, I have read that the Riviera/Eldorado rear struts will work... however they're also borderline impossible to find. Many vendors show them as available, until the order is placed and is subsequently cancelled due to lack of availability.

H A N D C R A F T E D 👨‍🏭👌
You should get the matching jacket 😅
At nearly 20% of the vehicles purchase price, it's value is quite dubious 😲

Last edited:
I remembering looking at one of these used while in high school at 1980. Not sure why the deal didn't happen. Ended up with a 1972 El Camino (with the swivel front bucket seats).

That Buick was a HUGE boat. View attachment 143630
Had one. 430 was an engineering disaster.

Also had an X-frame and multi piece drive shaft; remote pneumatic trunk release.

Back