MIG 21 spotted at small airport.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Took my son to ride his bike at this small airport near our house...

Screenshot_20210314-124144_Gallery.jpg
20210314_122619.jpg

You can get one for about $50,000. Give or take. Less than a clean used Cessna.

But it burns about $2,000 worth of jet fuel on each flight, which lasts under an hour.

Engine inspection is a six figure proposition.

No one will insure it unless you’ve got at least 1,000 of jet fighter time...which isn’t easy to come by...

Anyone can buy one, but you’ve gotta be loaded to fly it.

Real high landing speed, it goes from an airplane to a lawn dart in a real tight window.

Real high landing speed, it goes from an airplane to a lawn dart in a real tight window.
Like most delta wing fighters. The handling is unforgiving. That’s why it’s so hard to insure. You need extensive experience in a fighter to be insurable...

America is still the place where you can own and operate your own
military jet... so if you are looking for the perfect barometer to which
to gauge any mounting assault by government to ban transportation
look no further than privately owned military jets...

PrivateOwnJetMig21.JPG

Like most delta wing fighters. The handling is unforgiving. That’s why it’s so hard to insure. You need extensive experience in a fighter to be insurable...

Any worse than an F-104? There are supposedly a few that can still fly as well as others for sale but will need work to get them airworthy.

America is still the place where you can own and operate your own
military jet... so if you are looking for the perfect barometer to which
to gauge any mounting assault by government to ban transportation
look no further than privately owned military jets...

View attachment 49371

In the 80s I was reading about someone who managed to buy a T-38 as a civilian. Not quite sure what the deal was, but I vaguely recall he bought it damaged and that was part of the reason he could obtain it. Back then I don't think it was easy - even to obtain retired trainer.

You can get one for about $50,000. Give or take. Less than a clean used Cessna.

But it burns about $2,000 worth of jet fuel on each flight, which lasts under an hour.

Engine inspection is a six figure proposition.

No one will insure it unless you’ve got at least 1,000 of jet fighter time...which isn’t easy to come by...

Anyone can buy one, but you’ve gotta be loaded to fly it.
The joke about MIG21 was always that the most expensive item are tires, considering landing speeds.

Much better choice for enthusiasts. I think John Travolta has one, and it is very popular with enthusiasts around the world. Very forgiving airplane, RR Viper engine which means you do not have to deal with Russians or Ukrainians when it comes to maintenance:
J21.jpeg

The Russians have been quite good at making acrobatic planes. I was at the 1997 California International Airshow at Salinas Airport when one of the acts was flying a Sukhoi. Might have been an Su-31?

That show included the Blue Angels. We had the announcer on site, but they had to take off and land at Monterey because the runways back then weren't long enough to meet the 6000 ft minimum runway distance for safety reasons.

If a MiG-21 is a thirsty option, imagine what Jared Isaacman has to spend each time he takes his large MiG-29UB (formerly part of Paul Allen's collection) out for spin around the neighborhood.

Back