Midas put a generic synthetic 5W30 on 16 VW Jetta 1.4

Hello everyone,

I used to change the engine oil by myself using VW-approved 5W40 or 0W40. However, I don't have a garage in a new apartment. So I brought my car to Midas to get the service. But there are some concerning factors.

1. Midas used NAPA 5W30 Full Synthetic (75520) which is not VW-approved engine oil. A guy from Midas told me 5W30 is an alternative option for 5W40; however, he didn't mention that it wasn't a VW 502.00 engine oil.
2. They installed NAPA ProFormer 21348 which has a 5,000-mile lifespan. What's more interesting is that the NAPA website says that this filter does not fit with the 2016 Volkswagen Jetta. But I guess the size fits well, except the material and bypass valve specifications are inferior.

Should I complain about this issue to Midas? My gut feeling says that it may be okay for a 5000-mile oil change. But please let me know what you guys think about it.

I would not get your oil changed at Midas again after the experience you just had!
I wouldn't go back, because I wouldn't trust that place to repeat the work and hope they do it right. Just take your loss and go to the dealership/better oil change place. My 0.02
Thanks. Honestly, I am quite shocked. This shop has one of the highest ratings in town.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

If the best shop in town is Midas, there's a problem :poop:

Next time, go to a dedicated Euro shop, if there is one around. You may want to go on VW Vortex and ask about shops in your area. Walmart and VIOC are better places to get your oil changed at than Midas. If you don't have either of those, Jiffy Lube isn't the greatest, but even they'd be better than Midas. At least Jiffy is owned by Shell/Pennzoil, so they should be able to get any Pennzoil oil such as the popular PP Euro

Napa does have a Euro 5w40 available :unsure:

1661731888531.jpg

Actually NAPA does catalog the 21348 for a 2016 Jetta 1.4 so the filter is fine but I would be concerned about the incorrect oil being used

My advice is to never go thinner than spec.

Here's your new plan:
Wait till nighttime and change your own oil. That's what I always did when I lived in apartments. I'd change it to proper spec immediately.
Yeah or drive to your office sunday morning at 0630 with ramps and do it guerilla-style. Or on the street in the industrial part of town, you know, where they leave tractor trailers on the street.

WHILE THE NAPA OIL DOESNT MEET 504 SPECS, 5w30 CAN BE USED IN YOUR ENGINE. IF THEY WONT CHANGE IT OUT USE IT FOR 3000 OR SO WITH NO WORRIES...ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T RACE THE CAR OR HAVE EXTREME WEATHER. YOU WILL BE FINE. MY DAUGHTERS 07 BEETLE 2.5 HAS RUN MOSTLY ON 0W30 GC (MEETS VW SPECS) 5W40 ALSO RECOMMENDED..WITH OVER 140,000+ MILES

Thank you all for your comments! At least, they put a synthetic engine oil. 😅
Unfortunately, I just got relocated to a town with only one independent European shop. That place has mixed reviews with limited availability, so I gave this Midas a try. Now I learned the lesson.

Last edited:
It's a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil, so it's probably good for 5k miles without drama.
As others have mentioned, as long as you are not planning to run your car on a track or other extreme operation, it's probably fine.
You know not to go to this Midas and you have 5k miles to find a good indy European shop or plan your guerilla oil changes in the future.

With all the work I've seen done at auto parts stores, change it there and you can dispose of the oil when you are done.

So, too low of HTHS (~3.0 vs ~3.5cP) and no extended drain Euro approvals combined with a filter that isn't spec'd for the vehicle?
My advice is to never go thinner than spec.

Exactly. Keep running VW 502 00. After warranty you could also use VW 504 00
or VW 511 00, but they may be even harder to obtain. Both all three approvals
demand a HTHS of 3.5cP (3.6/3.7cP). Very most generic 5W-30 are thinner and
inferior.

Using an oil with the correct approval makes it so you don't have to worry about any of this. I'm actually surprised the shop didn't use the correct oil. Even a quick-change shop is generally a stickler for that. You'll pay for it however.

WHILE THE NAPA OIL DOESNT MEET 504 SPECS, 5w30 CAN BE USED IN YOUR ENGINE. IF THEY WONT CHANGE IT OUT USE IT FOR 3000 OR SO WITH NO WORRIES...ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T RACE THE CAR OR HAVE EXTREME WEATHER. YOU WILL BE FINE. MY DAUGHTERS 07 BEETLE 2.5 HAS RUN MOSTLY ON 0W30 GC (MEETS VW SPECS) 5W40 ALSO RECOMMENDED..WITH OVER 140,000+ MILES
Why are you yelling?
Thank you all for your comments! At least, they put a synthetic engine oil. 😅
Unfortunately, I just got relocated to a town with only one independent European shop. That place has mixed reviews with limited availability, so I gave this Midas a try. Now I learned the lesson.
You can also just bring the the oil of your choice and have them use it. Filter is fine. Again, basic 5W30 syn isn't going to hurt a thing and I believe even your manual will say the same (that you can use it as a top-up oil).

Exactly. Keep running VW 502 00. After warranty you could also use VW 504 00
or VW 511 00, but they may be even harder to obtain. Both all three approvals
demand a HTHS of 3.5cP (3.6/3.7cP). Very most generic 5W-30 are thinner and
inferior.
504 is 100% reverse compatible with 502 so no need for warranty concern.

Back