Mid to late 90's GMC Jimmy. Bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girlfriend has been on the hunt for a cheap but reliable little car. I found a really nice Saturn, but the deal fell through.

Anyway a co-worker of hers said how she has a Jimmy upstate that they don't use and would sell to her for really cheap. She didn't set a price but I am guessing she wouldn't ask for more than $700 or so. I know very little details besides it has a lot of miles and at one point gave her some problems but her husband fixed the car up and it runs fine now.

I've met this woman -- problems could be nothing, a warped rotor.. a window that sticks. Anyway I am just looking at general feedback on these cars. I'll take the car if I don't get bogged down with serious problems.

If it isnt leaking coolant through the intake, the 4.3L engine is a good one, and Ive seen a LOT of great-running, high mileage examples of them/blazers and S10s.

They rust pretty badly if not looked after - fenders, bottoms of doors, always seem to have rust on them.

Great engine, fun to drive, but those Blazers/Jimmys will nickel and dime you for stuff...

Granted, I say this with a friend with an 02 with 120k with just a few issues...been a great truck for him....

Watch for lowering intake manifold gasket failure.

I had the vortec 5.7L which is the same architecture as the 4.3 and when the LIM failed, you could smell coolant when the engine was running. It was dribbling to the exterior of the engine somehow.

If it runs, drives, isn't rotted to pieces, and doesn't have any issues that need immediate attention, I'd probably go for it for $700. They are solid trucks overall.

Change the coolant and trans fluid ASAP if you get it though.

Thanks for the info. Being from upstate PA it could have a decent amount of rust, but I will check it out.

And I'll change the fluids if I get it. Go with the G05 and dump the dexcool based on some horror stories I read on here.

Ok some info:

220k on the engine.

Hey, if it runs fine I am not worried for what we'd pay. I always sorta wanted a high mileage car to see how long it can go. :)

EDIT: She was wrong, 150k not 220k.

Last edited:
Be ready to replace all ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, oil cooler lines, belt idler pulley and tensioner, evap solenoids, 4wd switch, encoder motor, t-case switch, fuel pump. Sorry, I,ve had two of these complete turds that were nice on the outside and had people tell me it was a great deal.

ALL high mileage 4x4's will need these things. With those miles some of these things have already been replaced.

On sub 1K vehicles you can't be too picky. If it starts, runs, drives and stops fairly strait you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
ALL high mileage 4x4's will need these things. With those miles some of these things have already been replaced.

On sub 1K vehicles you can't be too picky. If it starts, runs, drives and stops fairly strait you are good to go.

+1

Sometimes you get lucky with simple FWD vehicles for less than 1k, but rarely a 4wd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back