Mid-Air Refueling a F-22

I almost became a Boom Jockey in the Air Force long ago. They say it is absolutely NO fun to fuel an SR71 in flight. It has to go so slow it's ready to drop out of the sky!

I almost became a Boom Jockey in the Air Force long ago. They say it is absolutely NO fun to fuel an SR71 in flight. It has to go so slow it's ready to drop out of the sky!
The interesting thing about refueling the SR71 was that it had to go so slow (for the SR71) angle of attack was high to maintain altitude at that speed and one engine had to be in afterburner to find the happy medium. Then, I'm sure it was a constant balancing act during refueling due to the immense fuel load the SR71 would usually need. Full capacity was 80,000 lbs and Im sure during each refueling it would take 60,000+ lbs.

That is just beyond amazing!!
Yes the amazing extends to the commercial aviation industry as well. I feel best with ex military pilots in the drivers seat . They have done severe stuff!

Last edited:
On the SR71. The boomer also had to be going as fast as possible!
My co-worker used to work around the SR71's in the USAF as fuel handler (like me) he said that when that plane was sitting on the runway, fuel would leak out of the seams in the wings. Once the plane got up to speed the heat from friction would seal all the seams back up!
Just incredible for it's time.

From what I’ve read the problem with the SR-71 is refueling airspeed required engine throttle input somwhere between mil and afterburner. IIRC they would set one at mil, other at AB and fight the yaw.

B-52 drivers used to refuel in a steep bank angle just because they could.

74B3EB48-979A-433F-8ED0-AA112C61DD20.jpeg

Refueling tracks are usually a racetrack pattern. No need to refuel in a straight line. If you get on the boom just before the end of a straight leg, you will be refueling in a turn. No big deal. That picture makes the bank angle look steeper than it actually is.

Back