Microwave ovens never last more than 6 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the deal?

My folks have gone through three overhead microwaves 17 years!

They are very good about not using it empty, putting metal
or metal plated objects into it. They also tried using a
line protector on the previous one, it appeared to have no positive effect.

However considering that all of them were "Made In China" that probably explains more than anything. All were supposed
major brands from Whirlpool, to GE, Samsung.

Last edited:
New stuff is throwaway these days. I'd try to find older stuff on Craigslist or estate auctions personally.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
New stuff is throwaway these days. I'd try to find older stuff on Craigslist or estate auctions personally.

Appears so, I know that some brands have home sized items that are commercial quality, anyone have any comment on those, are any of them made in the USA?

One of their biggest concerns is that there won't be enough mounting points left on the studs to properly secure the next unit....LOL

Last edited:
We still use daily at our Speed Shop a Amanda RadarRange Microwave oven that my Grandparents bought in 1975 and in fact it still works perfect!!

I'd worry about the seals going on such an old microwave. How long do you really want them to last 5-6 years sounds about right for about how long they're designed to last. What do you want for $100-$200?

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
We still use daily at our Speed Shop a Amanda RadarRange Mirowave oven that my Grandparents bought in 1975 and in still works perfect!!

My Grandpa had that very unit. Worked for 40 years without fault.

I have an old GE counter top mini unit from 1991 that is used
almost daily and it still works fine too.

It seems like the last built to last appliances were built around the late 90s or so.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'd worry about the seals going on such an old microwave. How long do you really want them to last 5-6 years sounds about right for about how long they're designed to last. What do you want for $100-$200?

Above the range models are at least 450$ for even the cheapest models of any major brand.

I'd expect at least 9 years possibly 10. The fact that older models work perfectly for decades and were not priced outrageously it should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
What is the deal?

My folks have gone through three overhead microwaves 17 years!

They are very good about not using it empty, putting metal
or metal plated objects into it. They also tried using a
line protector on the previous one, it appeared to have no positive effect.

However considering that all of them were "Made In China" that probably explains more than anything. All were supposed
major brands from Whirlpool, to GE, Samsung.

What breaks?

I am not surprised, quality of product have declined rapidly in past few decades.

The sooner it breaks, the more money they make right?

As engineer I can tell you that alot of R&D money go into controlled, predictable failures. The QC lab can basically give you pretty accurate percentiles of life of a product.

Originally Posted By: Donald

What breaks?

First until was the magnetron, second unit was the transformer, and I am not sure about the latest one, I do know that I replaced the thermal line fuse in it and it blew immediately after the magnetron activated. Tried two new fuses to be sure. Both blew.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Appears so, I know that some brands have home sized items that are commercial quality, anyone have any comment on those, are any of them made in the USA?

One of their biggest concerns is that there won't be enough mounting points left on the studs to properly secure the next unit....LOL

One reason why I never want an overhead microwave: I dont mind the look one bit and they are space savers, but you are really confined to the type of microwave you must get. A lot like the dreaded entertainment center and a TV.. Lol.

I prefer a hole in the cabinet for the unit to sit in. Usually you can find one that works even if it just fits or is a tad too small. (I prefer it being a bit too small for ventilation purposes though.)

The heart of a microwave is a component called the magnetron that produces the microwave radiation. The chinese made mags last about 5 yrs tops. Our Whirlpool Estate (contractor grade) is on its 2nd mag, which was installed 3 yrs ago on parts only warranty-- we had to pay labor which came to $90.

I spent a little extra on an LG over the range in 2011 thinking that if I bought a "good one" it might last being as it was a P.I.T.A to install. Nope!! Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Samsung I bought to replace it last November.
I don't think ANY appliances are built to last anymore. I bought a Bosch dishwasher thinking it was quality. Nope

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The heart of a microwave is a component called the magnetron that produces the microwave radiation. The chinese made mags last about 5 yrs tops. Our Whirlpool Estate (contractor grade) is on its 2nd mag, which was installed 3 yrs ago on parts only warranty-- we had to pay labor which came to $90.

Any major brands using US made units for home appliances?

I bought and installed two Sharp OTR's 16 years ago. mine cooked the power supply around 3; my friend's is still working. I replaced mine with a cheap LG that is still working 12 years later....

3 in 17 years is not great. but probably very common...

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I just looked at my overhead unit. It's a Whirlpool made in Korea on May 1995. Am I just lucky??

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Out of curiosity, I just looked at my overhead unit. It's a Whirlpool made in Korea on May 1995. Am I just lucky??

My guess that Whirlpool is a Samsung unit rebranded and at that time they were using Korean made magnetrons. Yes, lucky.

People haven't quite related made in China to the lowest of quality products yet.

KIMG0127.jpg

My Tappan OTR microwave is Korean from 1987.

It doesn't cook as fast or as evenly as the our newer 1100 watt countertop unit.

I doubt my countertop unit will last 28 years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back