Microsoft Office

Another vote for Libre Office. I've used it for many years now and have no complaints at all. I had Office 2010, and ditched it for Libre Office and haven't looked back.

Libre all the way. I am still dependent on one MS module to integrate a data stream from CQG though. But otherwise, Libre Office makes me money: all my invoicing that was done in MS Office is fully compatible with the old Excel and Word templates I used in past.

If you have access to academic or big business channels, look at MS Office LTSC.

Thanks. Maybe I'm confusing the Sun/Oracle link with Open Office. It's been over 15 years, I think. I was big on Open Office.
OpenOffice was a Sun property and eventually ended up in the hands of Oracle. The open source community and Oracle do not tend to play nicely with each other; so like the MySQL database, OpenOffice was forked into the nearly-identical but much more actively-maintained LibreOffice. OpenOffice still exists and is now under the stewardship of Apache (see https://www.openoffice.org/ : It's now even called "Apache OpenOffice") but LibreOffice for the last several years has received all of the attention and development. You're going to find LibreOffice - not OpenOffice - as the default office suite in all major mainstream Linux distributions, for example.

Since we're on the subject of MS Office compatibility I would guess strongly that LibreOffice is more advanced in that regard. But far from perfect.

Libre falls down on the spreadsheet compatibility front. For word docs - sure.

From what I can tell the ability to buy and use an MS office license forever is long gone.

software is a subscription deal now with no ownership and continual pay.

Last edited:
MS Office Family is a good option if one has family members to share it with and one of them runs a business where they can write expense off.
This edition allows up to 6 people to have individual setups on up to 5 devices per person.
This is what my wife uses.

I've seen a couple of ads in the last few days offering to sell Microsoft Office 2021 just like in the old days but the selling agent isn't Microsoft. Has anyone done this and has it worked out?
I made a thread last month asking about this. I ended up buying a perpetual license directly from Microsoft as it was on sale for $99 last month.

Back