Microsoft Money Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have used Microsoft Money for almost 2 decades, it has served our household very well. It is no longer supported and while the version I am using (2005) works fine on my current PC platform and OS... one day I will have to upgrade these things and Money won't function anymore. I want to port over and get things stabilized before that day.

I have seen the Microsoft Sunset option but I think that is a dead end like, sadly, Money. I am shopping for a completely new product i.e. Quicken, YNAB, Ace, etc. and am looking for advice from users of these (or others I am not aware of) products.

My priorities in order of importance are:

1) Must port existing Money database with reasonable success... I just don't want to lose the history if I can help it.
2) Cost of the software / maintenance costs etc.
3) Viability of the vendor... who would have thought Microsoft would discontinue Money but they did. I am looking for a stable long term relationship preferably.

I am leaning to Quicken currently due to the porting but YNAB looks good too and may port well.

Thanks,

Marc

For a basic general ledger, GnuCash works extremely well - it's free, open source software, and works well on both Windows and Linux.

If you want something commercial, I'd go with Quicken. Intuit builds rock solid software.

I'm in the same boat. Love MS-Money. No love for Quicken after several attempts over the years. BubbaFL's recommendation for GnuCash isn't bad. I've used it, but it's not Money. I'm running Sunset edition (free download) with no specific expectation of ending. If so, I plan to do so on January 1, 20??. Will be driven by OS rather than anything else.

But if you want to try something else, the best I have found is Moneydance. Stiff adjustment after decade+ using MS-Money, but definitely the closest tool out there IMO.

I've been using Moneydance. It's pretty good and is cross platform - Mac, PC, Linux.

I like it - downloads automatically from banks, has good reporting, and works well.

One thing I would do is wait until Jan. 1 to switch. Lots easier to make a clean switch at the beginning of a new year. Close out the old year in the old app and start fresh in the new one.

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby

Free, everything in the cloud, minimal and unobtrusive ads, better interface than Quicken.

I work in IT and don't trust my financial data in the cloud.

What happens if that company goes bankrupt or out of business? That happened to a cloud storage provider not too long ago and companies were scrambling to get their data back as the window was 30 days.

What happens to a data breach? Instead of getting, say 1 bank's worth of data they have all your banking and other personal info.

What happens to your data in the event something happens to you? How can others get at it for financial decisions. Went through this with my Mom when she passed. Didn't have a password and my Dad had to fight tooth and nail to get into her accounts (even as the executor of the will).

About the only cloud service I trust is Crashplan for my backups. Because they use 256-bit encryption with a long key that I made up so I know it's relatively secure.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Free, everything in the cloud, minimal and unobtrusive ads, better interface than Quicken.

I work in IT and don't trust my financial data in the cloud.

+1 for all the same reasons. Keep your data on your systems. Make backups, etc.

If you choose the Quickbooks route, don't use the online version, it's feature lacking and pokey. None of my clients like the online QB option.

I use an old version of Quicken for my personal stuff. 2004 Basic on a Win 7 pro 64 bit desktop.

For my business I use Quickbooks. QB is way to complicated for personal needs.

Originally Posted By: SHOPete
I'm in the same boat. Love MS-Money. No love for Quicken after several attempts over the years. BubbaFL's recommendation for GnuCash isn't bad. I've used it, but it's not Money. I'm running Sunset edition (free download) with no specific expectation of ending. If so, I plan to do so on January 1, 20??. Will be driven by OS rather than anything else.

But if you want to try something else, the best I have found is Moneydance. Stiff adjustment after decade+ using MS-Money, but definitely the closest tool out there IMO.

Moneydance - Hmm... ok I will definitely look into that one. I appreciate the recommendation. I have seen it but it didn't make my short list but it does now.

Quicken - Yeah... my story is exactly like this... I started out using Money and Quicken in parallel (both were on my PC as a demo, this is in the late 90's)... Money was the clear winner and that is why we ended up on the Money path for all these years. I am reluctant to return to Quicken because I didn't like it... but many years have passed and it might be better.

I fear your words will ring true though regardless on the "stiff adjustment" part.

Wave Accounting

Invoicing, accounting, payroll...all in your browser!

Thanks, good idea in principle but I am not prepared to put personal data up in the Cloud just yet... IT coworkers call me a Luddite but I am just not ready. I sometimes regret not being able to access data while on the road / travel etc. but it is a mindset thing I cannot overcome just yet.

You can create your own personal 'cloud' with software that allows you to access your computer's data from anywhere on the internet, just leave your PC/Mac on. Nifty really.

I recommend Moneydance, very happy user, doesn't mean it's always easy though. It takes some time to get on top of things. I had to work myself loose from my spreadsheet days.

I have short listed to:

1) Moneydance
2) Ace

Any Ace users out there who can chime in?

Thanks to all for your comments so far.

We used MS Money '98 until early this year. Our main goal was to find a program that was accessible through our phones, was relatively well polished and fruitful enough for our home and home-based business budgets.

We ended up with YNAB and over-all are very happy with the decision.

I know I recommended Moneydance before, but after getting to know YNAB I think you'd be better off asking yourself this question; do you want retrospective record keeping or do you want something that will help you manage you rmoney better?

If the former, Moneydance is fine, and it allows you to handle your investments also.

If the latter, YNAB wins hands down.

I am actually ditching Moneydance due to the poor Budget manager and the lacklustre efforts of the developers to make it even remotely an issue. I take responsibility for my own actions but our budget sufferred under Moneydance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back