Microsoft Home Server 2011 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else running this.
I realize its gimped compared to the full server 2008 R2 but its just for home NAS use and I like to be legal.

I'm really impressed so far.. Price was 47$ I installed it a few days ago but today was the first chance I had to fool with it.

Its slightly slow on my atom 330 but what isnt? lol.

No but I want to. I've run Windows 2008 R2 (x64) ad nausuem. It saturates gigabit ethernet links even with 6yo P4 single CPU servers. It's sooo much better than XP/2003 as the network statck was rewritten for Vista/Win2008 server. Good stuff.

Too bad they got rid of the drive extender technology.

well Its on gigabit so that would be ~~100MB/sec? its not even close to that.. but 50MB/s or so that I've seen so far. When I had freenas on it.. it topped out at 60MB/s or so average 40-55MB 95% of the time. I'll do some more benchmarking/testing tomorrow and report back. Its an atom 330 box.. but at least its dual core..

Last edited:
The Atom and lesser CPUs will generally see 35-50MB/sec throughput. A better CPU is needed to see the 100MB/sec speeds.

The obvious drawback is power consumption when a more capable CPU is used.

I have been running it since the trial days. I don't have much to say about it, since I'm not an enthusiast, and all it takes for me to be happy is for it to do it's job, which it does.

I did hate to see MS drop Drive Extender, although DrivePool seems to be not that far from readiness. I'm not that anxious to take the time to figure out how to install and configure it when it really "should" have come with the package, but I'm sure I will eventually take that leap.

I have the install media and I have an HP Microserver to put it on, but I'm still disappointed in the lack of a quality antivirus solution for WHS, paid OR free. I'm kinda leery about running a Windows OS without it.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I have the install media and I have an HP Microserver to put it on, but I'm still disappointed in the lack of a quality antivirus solution for WHS, paid OR free. I'm kinda leery about running a Windows OS without it.

Microsoft's freebie Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware product isn't available for WHS 2011?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Microsoft's freebie Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware product isn't available for WHS 2011?

Negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back