Microsoft Defender and AVG antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who uses these two and in what combination?
hornets_nest.gif

Defender..........USELESS. AVG antivirus free edition....MUCH better alternatives available. AVG antimalware (paid) is a good product, as is the free version of AVG antispyware.

You'd be much better off getting Avast or Avira Antivir along with Spywareterminator free and Superantispyware.

I dissagree on AVG. It seems to rate pretty well, definitions are regularly updated. It's not intrusive. Do you have some recent test data?

Defender does block stuff from time to time - like news sites that send probes before video - for example yesterday the Aussie ABC is kinda pesky and Defender sends up a warning....

But as I stated long ago, a hard firewall and safe clicking are your best defenses.

I do kind of like free AVG on my Windows XP. And I really like Spybot Search & Destroy. Heck, I downloaded a trial version of Counterspy (15 day trial is free but then you have to pay for the software) and Spybot found stuff that was missed by Counterspy. I am not going to buy the Counterspy.

Actually, Kaspersky has come out with a new 7.0 version of its antivirus program that is supposed to be really good against spyware also. Mighty Kaspersky plus Spybot plus Microsoft firewall plus Windows Defender plue maybe Ad-Aware might be a pretty good combination, and the Microsoft firewall comes with the operating system and Spybot, Windows Defender, and Ad-Aware are all free.

Quote:

I dissagree on AVG. It seems to rate pretty well

Ahhhhhhh, not really. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ Check out the August 06 on demand comparative.

That's what it'll do in the free version compared to other products; if you look at the latest comparative, it uses AVG antimalware which includes AVG antispyware with the antivirus (ie you gots to pay).

Look at the heuristics as well/proactive results. You really want to key in on trojan defense because most malacious keyloggers are detected under trojans in antivirus products (even free ones like Antivir that don't per se detect "spyware"). Antivir will detect 83% of trojans by heuristics alone, AVG got 6%.

Defender and Spybot are useless at the latest true malware (not some benign spyware/adware) like new trojans/keyloggers. You know, the stuff that might actually capture a password or screenshot. Yea, they may block a tracking cookie here and there or a hijacker

Last edited:
I think the newer (Sept 2007) version of AVG is more robust than 2006, scoring a 97% overall and Advanced+ rating in 2007. That said, I believe the testing and will give AntiVir a whirl. I swear if it get all German and intrusive on me......

Quote:

I think the newer (Sept 2007) version of AVG is more robust than 2006, scoring a 97% overall and Advanced+ rating in 2007. That said, I believe the testing and will give AntiVir a whirl. I swear if it get all German and intrusive on me......

Because, like I said, the 2007 version tested at Avcomparatives includes AVG Antispyware in the antivirus as one paid product, called AVG antimalware. The free version will test like the 2006 comparative.

Quote:

It's borderline dude......is the Luke Filewalker always so balky?

It's one of the lightest, fastest A/Vs out there! And probably top 2 or 3 now between Kaspersky and Nod. Many say it's the top antivirus product out there.

It has total self termination protection as well now, something most new malware will try and do: terminate antimalware products (and most are successful). You read stories on the security forums of..........oh, I came to my computer and my A/V, firewall, and antispyware were turned off.

It also detects rootkits (even in the free version) with no additional standalone product.

Quote:

So what do you think of Kaspersky, like the latest version-7.0?

Kaspersky is awesome; if I was to pay for security products, KIS would be the only product I'd buy.

It does have some issues through with fragmentation of your hard drive and chdsk errors, and people are finding very easy ways to terminate it's processes (like changing dates!), but Kaspersky seems to think they aren't issues.

Kaspersky includes a proactive module, which is essentially a HIPS. So it produces a whitelist of programs on your machine and if anything "new" appears that the A/V doesn't know about, it'll alert you. Pretty cool, but HIPS gets annoying after a while as every new piece of software you install, or any microsoft update will trigger a pop-up, kind of like a firewall.

Quote:

Quote:

So what do you think of Kaspersky, like the latest version-7.0?

Kaspersky is awesome; if I was to pay for security products, KIS would be the only product I'd buy.

It does have some issues through with fragmentation of your hard drive and chdsk errors, and people are finding very easy ways to terminate it's processes (like changing dates!), but Kaspersky seems to think they aren't issues.

I ran into that. I changed my CMOS battery and noticed the next day that Zone Alarm Pro (uses Kaspersky 7.0) wasn't running. Once I reset the clock it was OK.

Also, if you shut it off for some reason, there are no reminders that it's off.

I didn't like Norton for a few reason, but it would remind you that you had turned it off.

Quote:

Quote:

It's borderline dude......is the Luke Filewalker always so balky?

It's one of the lightest, fastest A/Vs out there! And probably top 2 or 3 now between Kaspersky and Nod. Many say it's the top antivirus product out there.

It has total self termination protection as well now, something most new malware will try and do: terminate antimalware products (and most are successful). You read stories on the security forums of..........oh, I came to my computer and my A/V, firewall, and antispyware were turned off.

It also detects rootkits (even in the free version) with no additional standalone product.

It may have been a first time scan, or my impatience. All is fine now.

rootkits - is there something I need to do to enable this? My first scan report said this was turned off as I recall.

Yea Pablo, click the configuration, it's under additional settings in the "scan" part (check all those). You should go through the configuration and check everything out because there are some settings that should be changed to make it really tight.

Under "scan", check all additional settings (that's where rootkit scan is), make sure all archives are selected, and make sure the heuristic is on high.

Under "guard", all files, reading and writing, heuristic on high.

Under "general", select all extended threat categories, make sure "protect processes" is clicked, and whamo, you're now protected by perhaps the best antivirus available! For free!

In the configuration, you have to click expert mode to change those settings.

Now, with the heuristic on high, you may get a false positive here and there................if you ever get a detection with any antimalware product, it's a good idea to quarantine it first and then scan the offender at www.virustotal.com or http://virusscan.jotti.org/ which will scan it with 20 or so antivirus/antimalware products to see if it really is a nasty. Also, antivir is now detecting exploit code in web browsers and some quote en quote "good sight" I go to regularly, whether it be BITOG, hotmail, the national weather service, I don't know, has exploit code coming though it (probably for internet explorer) and it ends up as a cache file and Antivir detects it. I sent them the file and it is a real exploit. Other's are finding the same thing, so watch for that. Antivir has AWESOME customer service even for the free version; you can send them any file/detection and they will analyze it and get back within minutes usually, especially for the heuristic.

Any other questions, fire away!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back