MicroGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are clever. Its a parallel-flow design as seen in some truck engine oil filters. If you read the fleet stories on their website you'll see a lot of experience using these and not changing oil for 30,000 miles, only changing the filter which scrubs it down to 2 microns. Not bad. A Fram Ultra will scrub down to about 5 microns max.

Looks pretty intriguing. I wonder how it would hold up with turbo gas engines. Those have fairly small sumps at 4-5 quarts for a 1.4-2.0 liter engine, and sometimes load the oil with fuel.

I see they have taken down the claims that better filtering leads to higher mpg. That's where they lost credibility with me. Perhaps you can save some by extending oil change intervals, but you still have to change very expensive filters every 6 thousand miles, so tell me again how you save money?

I used one a year ago on my Impreza and didn't notice any cleaner oil. I had planned on getting a UOA but completely forgot about it when I drained the oil. I took before and after pics but can't find the after. If I do, I'll edit the post...

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

Originally Posted By: Burt
I see they have taken down the claims that better filtering leads to higher mpg. That's where they lost credibility with me. Perhaps you can save some by extending oil change intervals, but you still have to change very expensive filters every 6 thousand miles........

Thanks for posting this information. Also lends credence 'imo' to the idea I've implied before that they may be paying or giving the municipalities/companies a large break on costs to use/test/advertise their product.

I also noticed on their testing and validation page that they don't quote the now industry standard efficiency test ISO 4548-12 lube oil efficiency testing. They use some another ISO test (16889) so it's not possible to compare the efficiency claim with the industry standard.

As far as using UOA as validation, Blackstone has said (linked below) they see no difference in insolubles with any filter. If you ascribe to the validity of particle counts perhaps that might give a greater indication. But between the added cost of the filters themselves, and the cost of a UOA with particle count, I'll pass. Got an 01 Civic with ~210k mi. now that has seen off the shelf filters of all different brands so no need for me to chase this expensive product.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2272934

So, is the consensus no one knows for sure how well it works and only one person posted that they use it and it's expensive so it must be "no good".

I am on the second MG filter of the three filter, 30K OCI process. I have about 13,000 miles on the current oil thus far. It took 1/2 quart to refill the engine after changing the filter.

After I have gone the full 30,000 miles I will get a UOA and post it. That will take another nine months, or so.

I am running M1 AFE 0W-20 and my top off oil has been Mazda's 0W-20 w/moly. And, my engine is the Skyactiv (DI). I'm going out on a limb for you guys since I have been anti-excessive oil changes for decades. I was doing 10,000 mile OCI's long before they were in fashion.

The filter is not expensive at all if you follow the 30K OCI. At $16 each (with shipping) I save $6-10 per 10K miles. The money is not the issue at all for me, though. It's cutting down on waste.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

After I have gone the full 30,000 miles I will get a UOA and post it. That will take another nine months, or so.

Are you doing UOAs between 0 and 30K miles?

Nope. I have put multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on each vehicle I have owned. Never did a UOA and don't plan to start. I'm only doing this one for the forum.

It doesn't sound too good to be true. Amsoil dealers in the 80's were telling people they could put 100K miles on their oil using one of their bypass filters.

I'll get the UOA at 30K and we'll see. After that, I'll either call it done, or do it for the rest of the time I own the car.

One consideration I left out of my previous post but has now been brought to my attention by another post. If you own a vehicle and it is still under vehicle manufacturers warranty, and run this filter for 30k mi. as recommended, with no oil changes, then the owner is assuming the risk should anything happen to the engine.

It's often mentioned here that one the major considerations of running an over size filter while under warranty, is the owner assumes some risk should anything happen to the engine. Imo, in that case with vehicle recommended oci/fci I believe that risk to be rather small, but there nonetheless.

Otoh, using a filter for 30k AND not changing the oil, simply adding oil at the filter change, greatly increases that risk, imo. Something to consider

All that said, everyone should use what they want as it's their pocketbook and their car. For me though, said filter doesn't work, either for recommended oci/fci with no oil change, and thus for not for roi either.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
If you own a vehicle and it is still under vehicle manufactures warranty, and run this filter for 30k mi. as recommended, with no oil changes, then the owner is assuming the risk should anything happen to the engine.

It sounds like he is changing the filter every 10K and planning on using the same oil for 30K with top-offs as required.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I am on the second MG filter of the three filter, 30K OCI process. I have about 13,000 miles on the current oil thus far. It took 1/2 quart to refill the engine after changing the filter.

Without specifically knowing Mazda recommended oci/fci if still under warranty, I'm confident that simply adding make up oil when the filter is changed and going 30k mile oci, doesn't follow oem vehicle recommended procedures no matter the driving profile, normal/severe. So assuming the warranty risk still applies even if the filter is changed at 10k.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Without specifically knowing Mazda recommended oci/fci if still under warranty, I'm confident that simply adding make up oil when the filter is changed and going 30k mile oci, doesn't follow oem vehicle recommended procedures no matter the driving profile, normal/severe. So assuming the warranty risk still applies even if the filter is changed at 10k.

+1 ... obviously.

Ok so you change the filter every 10k but don't change the oil for 30k mi. Still puts the vehicle manufacturers warranty at risk, a big one imo, which was and is the main and most important point. And depending on vehicle manufacturers recommended fci, a 10k fci may also still put vehicle warranty at risk.

Also where is are the specs that show said filter is any better than doing the same thing (no oil change) with a filter like FU just as an example. It cost's less than half of MG using an AAP code buying three? I don't see anything that makes said filter worth more than twice the price.

But bottom line, if vehicle warranty is not a concern or one is willing to assume the risk(s) and roi not too important compared to using a less expensive but still highly rated filter to do the same thing, I suppose it could be for some.

It is the built-in bypass (microfilter) that drives the cost. FU won't capture 2 micron particles. No more arguing from me. I am throwing caution to the wind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back