Microgard Select - No Love?

I don't like Orielly but it looks like the Autozone STP XL's which I do like. Maybe they are the same just different label?
I compared the Microgard Select to the STP XL for my vehicle. They looked very similar in construction, but the MGS was made in Vietnam and the STP XL was made in China for that specific filter model. I'd probably run either one. The STP was $1.00 less.

I compared the Microgard Select to the STP XL for my vehicle. They looked very similar in construction, but the MGS was made in Vietnam and the STP XL was made in China for that specific filter model. I'd probably run either one. The STP was $1.00 less.
Thank you!

I just picked up a couple of the STP XP’s during some oil promotion Autozone has. Yes indeed very similar looking quality and materials the MG Select has. I like em both!
The STP is for my Cougar or Mustang and the MGS is for the Buick
IMG_2357.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg

Last edited:
It's good to see the Microgard Select price has dropped a $1.00 to $9.99.

With that said I'm curious as to the appeal of this brand?

The MicroGard Select____10K mile rated at 99% efficiency @25 microns and is made in Vietnam.
The Fram Tough Guard__15K mile rated at 99% @20 microns for $7.17, 28% less.
The Fram Ultra Synthetic_20K mile rated at 99% @20 microns for $8.97, 11% less. Both Fram filters are made in the USA.

With that said I'm curious as to the appeal of this brand?
I think it mostly boils down to build quality (hey, no wavy pleats !! 😄 ), and one big factor for me is no louvers in the center tube, but instead lots of nice big holes. Looks like lots of media area too. The full silicone base gasket is also a nice touch, as well as the stout coil spring in the dome end to hold the guts tight. The can also seems stiffer too. IMO, it's a nice filter with just a hair less efficiency which won't matter for most OCIs lengths.

I think it mostly boils down to build quality (hey, no wavy pleats !! 😄 ), and one big factor for me is no louvers in the center tube, but instead lots of nice big holes. Looks like lots of media area too. The full silicone base gasket is also a nice touch, as well as the stout coil spring in the dome end to hold the guts tight. The can also seems stiffer too. IMO, it's a nice filter with just a hair less efficiency which won't matter for most OCIs lengths.
I would agree with your thoughts on this. While I am not a Fram fan, I can see why someone would just decide on price etc.

The MGS filter just checks all the boxes for me. Great filter.

I agree 100%. Fram’s build quality is so bad right now, I just don’t trust the filters anymore. This is from a long time OG Ultra user. But as I said I will use the OG Titanium as long as I can find them. After that I’m very impressed with the Microgard Select quality.

I actually think the Microgard Select is a better filter than the Wix/NAPA Platinum line. I know everyone focuses on efficiency ratings and micron counts, but I also look at the construction and filtration materials, center tube (holes vs. slats). Since when did 'slats" become a good idea? I think slats are a less expensive manufacturing technique vs. punching holes. But what do I know...LOL. And yeah, FRAM has dropped in quality recently. Same for WIX. These companies get bought and sold and then the bean counter guys start having lunch with the engineers...

I appreciate all your comments on the MicroGard brand. . . thank you. I haven't experienced issues with the Fram brand upon cutting them open during oil changes. My only criticism is the louvers (too difficult to check) and wish they would put the nylon center core in the Tough Guard and Ultra Synthetic. They put them in the Extra Guard currently. I find it impressive that Fram can deliver a better performing product at a significantly lower price made in the USA.

Louvers is the better known term instead of "slats". ;)
Probably. But when I think of louvers, I think of them being movable. "Slats" seem stationary to me. I suppose it's more of an aviation term than anything.

Ultimately, "holes" work better in my mind. :)

Probably. But when I think of louvers, I think of them being movable. "Slats" seem stationary to me. I suppose it's more of an aviation term than anything.

Ultimately, "holes" work better in my mind. :)
Lots of places in industry call them "louvers". The louvers term is what's used here most of the time is all I'm saying. If you Google search the term louvers or chevron louvers you'll see all the hits.

1709773944307.jpg

Lots of places in industry call them "louvers". The louvers term is what's used here most of the time is all I'm saying. If you Google search the term louvers or chevron louvers you'll see all the hits.

View attachment 207005
I stand corrected Sir! Thank you for the link. Yes, louvers is the better term for what we are seeing in these filter tubes. Thank you.(y)

Back