Microgard MGL51356

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends.. the newer ones are made by wix, and will be excellent filters, the older ones are made by fram, and are e-cores, I don't have an issue with fram, but I do with the e-cores.

My local stock still has the e-core fram filters, and have not moved them.. So I'd recommend opening it up and looking, if its a normal metal core filter, i'd say go for it 100%, if its an e-core RUN.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
It depends.. the newer ones are made by wix, and will be excellent filters, the older ones are made by fram, and are e-cores, I don't have an issue with fram, but I do with the e-cores.

My local stock still has the e-core fram filters, and have not moved them.. So I'd recommend opening it up and looking, if its a normal metal core filter, i'd say go for it 100%, if its an e-core RUN.
How would I identify an e-core? If the inside thru the center hole looks anything besides metallic?

Originally Posted By: sir1900
What is the vehicle and planned OCI?
2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ... I'm planning to use the filter only for 500 miles before changing it and the oil out (break in).

I'm willing to bet that at their price point its probably a rebadged Napa ProSelect, which has a different media than the standard Six/Napa Gold.

Last edited:

Mr. Action,
What about the E-core filter are you uncomfortable with? It is 93% efficiency@20 microns, it is used extensively as a OE filter by General Motors and has passed all GM durability testing, GM and AC Delco have been selling it for years. Its construction is different and has proven to be exceptionally durable. The MicroGuard filter sold now is not "the same as WIX", it is the cheap low 80% efficiency filter that WIX has been selling to quick lubes forever. the MicroGuard filter changes suppliers like underwear as ORY is always looking for the lowest possible price and whipsaws the filter companies against each other.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Originally Posted By: sir1900
What is the vehicle and planned OCI?
2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ... I'm planning to use the filter only for 500 miles before changing it and the oil out (break in).

Then the answer is yes - go ahead and use it. It will do its job.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Mr. Action,
What about the E-core filter are you uncomfortable with? It is 93% efficiency@20 microns, it is used extensively as a OE filter by General Motors and has passed all GM durability testing, GM and AC Delco have been selling it for years. Its construction is different and has proven to be exceptionally durable. The MicroGuard filter sold now is not "the same as WIX", it is the cheap low 80% efficiency filter that WIX has been selling to quick lubes forever. the MicroGuard filter changes suppliers like underwear as ORY is always looking for the lowest possible price and whipsaws the filter companies against each other.

Appreciate you saying this, it confirms what I suspected in that many cheap-oil-filter makers use cellulose paper media that is adequate but not very good. In a for profit business, it makes a lot of sense to do what ORY does. The enthusiast loses. ... About your comments on the e-cores, people were objecting to the minimalist plastic cage inside if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: stickybuns
About your comments on the e-cores, people were objecting to the minimalist plastic cage inside if I recall correctly.

The problems seen in the "early days" with ecore designed filters was not the open center tube/cage, but the lack of tight and even pleat spacing. If pleats folded over flat due to oil flow, then they could easily blow-out due to the lack of support given by the big open windows in the center tube.

Once the designers/manufactures got the pleats nice and tight, then pretty much no media blow-outs were seen again on ecore type oil filters. Basically all cartridge type filters are "ecore" design.

Reading this thread, it's intriguing to me on several levels.

Starting with ecore question(s). The link below with pics will illustrate why the ecore design doesn't have a stellar reputation with some here. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202&page=all

The pics in the link speak for themselves and come from a long time member. What they mean and if those issues are representative or in the past can be decided by the individual member. But the result is posted here for reference and illustration purposes.

The other factor in many ecores but ignored/avoided in the discussion for whatever reason, is it's use of a nitrile 'combo valve' to function as both a bypass and an adbv. In fact it would be used in all ecores but the GM applications with block bypass. And while not exactly the same design as Wix 'made fors' like some MGL's, it's basic functional idea is the same. It has been described as a "dumbed down" design by a recognizable poster in the link below. Though not really sure the point of mentioning it as the GM S10 application in the link doesn't use a combo valve, it has block bypass. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/414839/index3.html

Also interesting is that when Fram got the O'R MicroGard contract it was because of better filtration. But now that Wix now has the contract, it's low bidder? Hard to know what to believe but seems like just business to me. I do know that Wix has not shifted most all their oil filter production to India, nor have Wix branded automotive applications filters switched to using a combo valve. With few exceptions, still majority metal thread end bypass, and silicone adbv.

But to the original question, see no reason why said MGL shouldn't work fine for a ~5k oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back