Microfiber cloth good for checking oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i heard the whole debate how using anything with lint is bad for the car since it's an abrasive that can get inside your engine. I noticed the Microfiber towelettes are free from lint, would it be safe to use these towels to check oil?? is there maybe another abrasive stuck to these towels that can cause wear?? thanks.
grin.gif

I'm sure that paper and cloth fibers have some amount of abrasiveness when introduced into the engine, but we're talking about tiny quantities, and more importantly, they're little wussy fibers when compared to sintered/shaved metal of ANY type. Like others on this board, I've seen on many occasions steel filings and splinters on the threaded end of brand new filters (sloppy quality control). So I spin an old toothbrush around the hole before installing the filter. And there's plenty of photos of wear metals entrapped in oil filter media as well on this board. With hazards such as these steel splinters/shavings, a few paper towel fibers seem completely inconsequential. One could wipe their dipstick with a dried corn cob, but most anything introduced into the sump will be removed by the oil filter prior to engine circulation.

[ May 17, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

For crying out loud...

This has got to be the epitome of wasted threads but alas I'm not going to discourage anyone from talking about it so lets discuss.

I'd like to suggest that someone send a sample to Blackstone and Terry for an analysis of the cotton or paper levels. With this microfiber cloth we might need to talk about polyester too.

And then we can waste time and effort on discussing what is an appropriate level for each thus indicating that our oil filters aren't are doing their job. Don't forget that we also need to discuss wear levels of bleached and unbleached cotton and printed or unprinted paper towels. Oops, I forgot to add that paper towels can come in bulk where they are individually wrapped thus bringing them in closer contact with plastic (hydrocarbon) that could throw off the numbers. Yikes! I better see if there is an oversize Wix that can remove vast quantities of a Bounty wrapper.

Did I mention fabric softner? The Snuggle bear wouldn't put anything nasty in the oil 'cuz he's so or was that Morning Mountain Mist from Bounce. I'm sure unscented of either would really screw with the numbers so perhaps I'm better off with a pima cotton cloth, washed on warm, rinsed on cold and line dried in a sterile environment.

I use TP to wipe off the dipstick. Then vigorously blow the dipstick for any fibers that I can't see.
lol.gif

ok guys i guess i am getting too carried away - besides i have a bypass filter on my truck anyway! I guess i'll just continue using paper towel and then wiping the lint off with my finger.
smile.gif

Why are we obsessing over the engine dipstick? It's the TRANSMISSION dipstick that needs this treatment. Mercedes specifies in the manual to use a lint-free cloth when wiping the transmission dipstick.

When the Oil Lab tells me my sample was contaminated with lint I will switch to a different source for wiping my dipstick...

Haven't seen that yet in the Oil Analysis boards
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Geez just use your fingers and wipe them off on your shirt like everyone else does.
wink.gif

Sometimes the oil is too hot, or you don't want to mess up your shirt becuase people make fun of you at school.. they already do anyway!
blush.gif

The microfiber should have threads of 0.01 mm diameters not longer than 1 meter and the cloth matrix should not have less than 300 intersecting threads/in.^2.

The threads themselves should be made of Egyptian cotton hand gleaned by girls whose ages range from 18-21 years, and who are enrolled in US Midwestern Universities majoring in Biology and Mathematics only.

lol.gif

quote:

When the Oil Lab tells me my sample was contaminated with lint I will switch to a different source for wiping my dipstick...

Haven't seen that yet in the Oil Analysis boards.

Oh, but the insolubles may peak if the fiber count is too high.
rolleyes.gif

[ May 18, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I was holding back, but what the he!! -- just lick the darned thing clean. But then be sure to wipe the spit off the stick 'cause the enzymes in your saliva might dissolve the engine from the inside out!!!
crushedcar.gif

ALUMINUM 1
COTTON 4
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 6
COPPER 40
LEAD 40
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 53
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 3
SILICON 6
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1700
MAGNESIUM 7
PHOSPHORUS 768
ZINC 1023
BARIUM 0

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
ALUMINUM 1
COTTON 4
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 6
COPPER 40
LEAD 40
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 53
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 3
SILICON 6
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1700
MAGNESIUM 7
PHOSPHORUS 768
ZINC 1023
BARIUM 0

Was that using the old or new method for testing?

Thanks for the replies guys, Also if i take too many short trips should i change my oil?? im running a motor guard but i dont want my fuel dilution to become a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back