Micro scratches/ paint remediation in 13 y.o. BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi

I am in need of some detailing advice. I have a 91 BMW that I purchased used. Most everywhere it looks great, with a straight body, no dents, and pretty clean paint. It has what I'd call microscratches in the paint finish though on a few different panels. The best description is that it looks almost like brushed aluminum that is used for trim in some high end cars and stuff.

The paint is original, and its what Id call a five or ten foot paint job. From that far away, you dont see the micro-lines, and it looks pretty good. From closer though, you can see these fine lines.

I don't know if the car has a clearcoat, and if it does, if the lines are due to the clearcoat or the paint. Id like to try to make them go away, so the paint looks smoother close up. I dont have the money right now to get a proper repainting of the car, so I hope to help it out a bit.

The only thing that Ive tried is 3m light cut compound. All my other cars have been purchased new and i keep good car eof the paint, so Ive never had to worry about this sort of thing. I may not have the audacity to try and fix it myself, besides on a small inconspicuous area. But I want to be as informaed as possible, and if I am confident, then I want to try and get the car to look really great.

Another issue is the presence of some 'blotches' on the paint. They are small spots, smaller than a dime, where the paint looks a little bit cloudy. There are very few of them, and it doesnt take away from the overall look of the car (probably because the car is silver), but I see them. I believe that they are the remnants of soem tree sap or similar substance being on the paint surface. I have tried using a clay bar to remove them, wth no luck. Light cut compound didnt do anything either. Old fashioned bug and tar remover doesnt help either. I am considering trying striaght rubbing alcohol to see if it can dissolve whatever is on the surface. However, it may have effected the paint. Any ideas?

Any comments or suggestions for fixing my paint wouldbe most appreciated. I dont have the tools to work on the car other than by hand. If it is reccomended that a mechanical item be used, Ill probably take it somewhere, but as I said, I want to be informed one way or another.

Many thanks,

JMH

Here is what I would do if the car was mine. 1st I would wash the car with a very stringent dish soap, Dawn works fine. Next I would use mothers clay bar and clay the whole car. This get air born contaminants out of the paint. After that I would get some 3m micro fine buffing compound for fine scratches and buff the whole car. I would re-wash the car and apply my favorite wax, zaino. Thats just me, maybe someone else would have a better idea or format of doing it. I do know that the process previously explained will net great results. Good Luck
cheers.gif

if you don't have the stones for a rotary buffer, just get some high end polish and cover it with a good wax. meguiars has a couple of products that should fit the bill.

i've been watching the sox win, and the beer has made me forget the specific numbers, but i'm sure you can find them at autopia.

eh, 20 some hours has cleared my addled head.

plus, i just went to the autoparts store.

the megiuars is #7 and #26.

you could also try meguiars nxt, although the reviews are mixed on longevity. i've used the eagle one nanowax, and it's ok but no great shake. it will somewhat mask microscratches, but it needs frequent support from a spray wax or detail spray.

I would begin by using Mother's scratch remover on the whole car and then follow it with the Mother's 3-step.

A clay bar may be also a good idea before the above steps and/or a power buffer/orbital wheel if you can be careful enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back