Michelin's North America Winter Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. is budgeting $16 million in investments at its Granton plant to support the 2020 launch of a winter tire designed specifically for the North American market.

The launch of the new, as-yet unnamed winter tire line will create 150 jobs at the Granton plant and make permanent 200 temporary positions that previously were slated to end in 2020, Michelin said.

http://www.rubbernews.com/article/2...scotia-plant-ahead-of-winter-tire-launch

I assume this new tire will be a replacement for the aged Xi3 and/or Latitude Xi2.

Hmmm,
The X-ice Xi3 & Xi2 don't seem that old and are still among the top rated winter tires on the market. However, I'll take better anytime though I am not a typical Michelin tire buyer.

The Xi3 has been on the market for a full 6 years now, introduced Fall 2012.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

I am afraid what specific NA tire is. Specific NA usually means lower tier.

it will probably be called the Xi4
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw

I share your worries.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Probably going to drop its quality to compete with the Chinese junk.

It's probably the CrossClimate+, which has very limited availability and is their new all-weather tire.

Originally Posted by user52165
Is North American snow different from other snow?

Snow? Not. Drivers and regulations? yes.
NA drivers usually want one type of the tire for year around usage and cheapest as possible. In Europe, largest winter tire market in the world, many countries require snow tires in winter, while demands of HWY's (speed) make them poor choice in summer. We here do not have fraction of winter tires that are available for consumers in Europe.
So God knows what Michelin is doing. Continental for example has NA specific winter tire SI which is OK tire. In Europe, their winter tires are absolute champions for many years and no, we do not get them here.

Exactly.

If it's anything like their other winter tires have been for our market, they won't be anything special. Just overpriced, with mediocre winter performance.

Originally Posted by weebl
If it's anything like their other winter tires have been for our market, they won't be anything special. Just overpriced, with mediocre winter performance.

Actually, Latitude Xi2 proved on my BMW better then Blizzak DM-V2. While bit less aggressive than DM-V2 in deep snow and slush, they were much better in ice and packed snow and light years ahead on dry and wet.

Originally Posted by user52165
Is North American snow different from other snow?

Snow? Not. Drivers and regulations? yes.
NA drivers usually want one type of the tire for year around usage and cheapest as possible. In Europe, largest winter tire market in the world, many countries require snow tires in winter, while demands of HWY's (speed) make them poor choice in summer. We here do not have fraction of winter tires that are available for consumers in Europe.
So God knows what Michelin is doing. Continental for example has NA specific winter tire SI which is OK tire. In Europe, their winter tires are absolute champions for many years and no, we do not get them here.

Sounds about right. Drivers here want tires that last forever and get good fuel economy, while also having good traction in all weather. What we end up with are "all seasons" which suck in all weather and are hard as a rock.
lol.gif

I put General Altimax Arctic 12's on the BMW last week, and my sister has the Michelin Xice3's on her Acura TL. The TL is pretty useless in the snow without them.

Actually, Latitude Xi2 proved on my BMW better then Blizzak DM-V2. While bit less aggressive than DM-V2 in deep snow and slush, they were much better in ice and packed snow and light years ahead on dry and wet.

Different from my Michelin winter tire experience. Had the X-Ice Xi3 on both a FWD 2006 Toyota Sienna and a 2014 VW Passat TDI manual. They were okay in snow, but horrendous at any sign of ice, and would spin helplessly if I was starting off, or ABS chattering constantly if stopping. No other winter tires I've used have performed that poorly, save for a set of Motomaster WinterTrac (rebranded BF Goodrich Winter Slalom).

From my experience (including models now obsolete), I'd say the tires overall are:

Good
- Motomaster WinterEdge (Cooper)
- Continental ExtremeWinterContact
- General Altimax Arctic
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
- Motomaster IceTrac (NA produced clone of a Kleber tire from the Michelin group)

Average
- Kumho I'Zen KW-11

Mediocre
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3
- Motomaster WinterTrac (rebranded BF Goodrich Winter Slalom)

Open to considering Michelin in the future, as the best all season I had were from them on my van, but there are so many excellent choices from other manufacturers for far less coin, so the likelihood I would buy them again for winter tires is low.

I was actually very skeptical of Xi2 before buying them, but Xi2 compare to Xi3 is more aggressive tire. Now I traded in X5 for Sienna due to family needs, and I did not want FWD Sienna bcs of torque steer that is believe it or not present in AWD configuration. It could be that Xi2 was doing good bcs of BMW suspension and drivetrain, but we will see, I ordered set of Xi2 for Sienna so will let you know.

I was actually very skeptical of Xi2 before buying them, but Xi2 compare to Xi3 is more aggressive tire. Now I traded in X5 for Sienna due to family needs, and I did not want FWD Sienna bcs of torque steer that is believe it or not present in AWD configuration. It could be that Xi2 was doing good bcs of BMW suspension and drivetrain, but we will see, I ordered set of Xi2 for Sienna so will let you know.

I have a set of them going on the RAM at the end of next week due to how well they worked on the Durango.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I have a set of them going on the RAM at the end of next week due to how well they worked on the Durango.

I am putting mine tomorrow. Skiing next Friday, so will see.

So, 6 inches of snow that covered ice. No issues what so ever. I tried to put SIenna in a slide last night in part of a new development in my neighborhood that has 6 lanes now that are not divided, and one can see that Toyota is dumb proof vehicle. Whatever I turned off, turned itself on after I passed 20mph. I was rapidly changing lanes to see if I can slide vehicle, nothing, but I could feel tires hold onto snow.
This morning we had that nasty slat/slush, and they went through like razor.
This is such a funky tire. I put them on on Friday and I was again skeptical since they are not at all aggressive as other tires, yet they AGAIN proved me wrong.

Last edited:
I only hate my Xi2 or Xi3 on warm days and in the wet ;-)
And that only if I drive a little fast for conditions.
I prefer Dunlop Wintersport 4D for such weather.

But snow and ice they are very good.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back