michelin xc lt4

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anybody use this kind of tire? i have them in my f150(255-70-16) i went to sears where i saw them for around 145.00 per tire ,i thought that was too much!! my truck came with those tires so i had no idea about the price. or are they that good?( my experience its that the are really quiet,and are really soft)
rolleyes.gif

Overpriced. If you don't go offroad, go with Yokohama Geolander H/T-S tiresor Firestone Destination LEs. They are very good tires and not too expensive.

I don't have any experience with that particular tire. It may be good, great or terrible, I really don't know. Having said that, IMO, Michelin tires are just way overpriced compared to many other brands offering equal or superior performance.

The XC LT4 is a tire Michelin markets only to Sears and National Tire (a Sears affiliate). If you like Michelin-made tires, it's a good one. I had a set on my E150 van and was very happy with them. That tire is very similar, but not the same, as Michelin's mainline LTX M/S tire. See this link: http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/index_5.html

In my experience, Sears tends to be high dollar when it comes to tires...even on sale. I replaced my XC's with some LTX M/S that I ordered from Walmart...$13 a tire cheaper than the XC's and road hazard was included at no additional charge.

And as the other guys have noted, there are some good tires besides Michelin out there. It pays to shop around.

quote:

Originally posted by aztec12:
does anybody use this kind of tire? i have them in my f150(255-70-16) i went to sears where i saw them for around 145.00 per tire ,i thought that was too much!! my truck came with those tires so i had no idea about the price. or are they that good?( my experience its that the are really quiet,and are really soft)
rolleyes.gif

Try these for $91. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
There ranked better then the Michelin LTX M/S according to reviews found here.
Another tire to check out before buying would be the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for $73.
Either set of tires (Firestone or Yokohama) would make an ideal match for your F150.

Oren

I agree about the $80 Firestone Destination LE.

Click the Comparison to compare the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 ($73 a tire), Firestone Destination LE($80 a tire), Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051($91 a tire), and Michelin LTX M/S($128 a tire).

I would go with one of the two firestones.

Oren

The problem with the Yokohamas is that the outer tread wears fast if your vehicle is not aligned properly. My steering wheel is straight but the fron tires wear to the outside. I dunno if its the tire or my Jeep, probably the Jeep but I still like them. If price is a concern, I think the Indy 500s are a good deal. They are a little wider so you'll have a better footprint on the road. Both tires have the same tire technologies, UNI-T. The Indy 500 has Keyhold Sipes so the tires look new throughout its life and gives good traction. The Destination LE has Spiral Wrap technology so they keep their shape better over time.

If you want an A/T style tire, go for the Destination A/Ts. They look good and have an attractive price.

[ September 08, 2004, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: JeepZJ4.0 ]

National Tire and Battery is NO longer part of Sears Roebock Co!

To answer your question:

The Sears branded Michelin XC LT4 is there most popular LT and SUV tire.

Overpriced? I would disagree.

The Michelin OEM Cross-Terrain is rather steep.

The XC LT4 offeres comfortable ride, good wet braking and confident all season handling.

In my opinion for the few extra buck it is superior to the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S.

If your a good negotiator you can propably get them to lower the price 20% against Costco's LTX M&S Michelin.

Firehawk Indy 500s are very very good. The Destination LE is brand new and the few Jeep owners that have them on their Jeeps like them.

I have the Yokohamas and I think they are great.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
The XC LT4 offeres comfortable ride, good wet braking and confident all season handling.

In my opinion for the few extra buck it is superior to the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S.

The Wrangler RT/S is an overpriced piece of junk. There aren't many tires out there that could perform worse than the RT/S, especially in the rain or snow.

My experience with Michelins is they are exceptionally quiet and very long lasting. Perhaps not the best traction in dry, wet, or snow, but very competent none the less. I'm running the Michelin XCX/APT's on my Jeep Cherokee, and overall, I'm happy with them. I'm just happy I didn't pay for them! (They were on it when we got it!).

I've had the Michelin Cross Terrain and it is no better than the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S. The Cross Terrains are over double the price. After this experience, and our experience with the Michelin MXV4s on our Avalon (put Falkens on for less than half the price of the Michelins...335 installed compared to over 600 bucks) and their poor tire life and performance, we've found that the other tire companies are catching up with the quality of Michelins and are even being surpassed, especially since we don't have to pay for the Michelin Man. We used Michelins in the past but they had good treadlife warranties and good prices (X Radial from Sams, had for 6 years). The X Radial has since changed tread designs and they do not make them for the Avalon or our Pacifica.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Overpriced? I would disagree.

The Michelin OEM Cross-Terrain is rather steep.

IMO, this Michelin XC LT4 is extremely overpriced. That someone who sells tires or has any experience with light truck tires compares them to the Wrangler RT/S is pretty amazing. The Wrangler RT/S is perhaps the worst tire I've ever had the displeasure of trusting my life to. That POS Wrangler is absolutely unsafe under anything but completely dry and optimum conditions. Even under those conditions it is merely adequate.

So for $145.00 bucks each you're getting what Sears calls a tire designed as an "OE replacement". Well we all know how good most OE tires are
rolleyes.gif
. Lets look at a few other choices available in the size aztec12 needs and the price compared to the Michelin XC LT4;

Bridgestone Dueler A/T....$100.00
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo...$120.00
Yokohama Geolander A/T +II....$85.00
Yokohama Geolander H/T(highway rib,all season)$90.00
Pirelli Scorpion A/T....$100.00
Kumho Venture A/T.....$75.00
Firestone Destination A/T $75.00
Firestone Destination LE (highway, all season)$80

Personally, I'll take the Destination LE, Dueler Revo, Pirelli, Kumho or Yoko over the $145.00 "OE replacement" Michelin any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back