Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it is a four-year old tire, it still ranked #1 in the latest TireRack comparison test. Consumer Reports also rates it very highly.

My friend is interested in a set of four for his '07 GTI. A set of four shipped, after the rebate, is about $650.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

Big difference between the "Exalto" and the "Exalto PE2".....be sure to choose the correct one for your climate and driving conditions

The "Exalto" is an excellent high performance all season tire, and available in a V speed rating- I got 55,000 miles out of my last set and am currently 15,000 miles into set #2. All this on a 4200 pound Q45 no less.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Although it is a four-year old tire, it still ranked #1 in the latest TireRack comparison test.

The latest test I see there is from May 2008. Has there been a newer one more recently?

It's #3 in user reviews, behind Bridgestone RE760.

The Exalto PE2 is a great summer tire. Comfortable, quiet, sticks like glue in the dry, and nearly as well in the wet. Compound is fairly soft (par for the course for a decent summer tire), but this really is a terrific tire.

I ran a set on my '97 Passat and loved them. Good price.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Although it is a four-year old tire, it still ranked #1 in the latest TireRack comparison test.

The latest test I see there is from May 2008. Has there been a newer one more recently?

It's #3 in user reviews, behind Bridgestone RE760.

The May 2008 test is TireRack's latest comparison for UHP summer tires. I've noticed that it is number three, but Tire Rack's testing said the PE2 was the most well-rounded tire, even when compared with some newer tires. CR also gave it high marks, especially for treadlife.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Big difference between the "Exalto" and the "Exalto PE2".....be sure to choose the correct one for your climate and driving conditions

The "Exalto" is an excellent high performance all season tire, and available in a V speed rating- I got 55,000 miles out of my last set and am currently 15,000 miles into set #2. All this on a 4200 pound Q45 no less.

Yup, Exalto A/S is a fantastic all-season tire. But my buddy is looking for the PE2, since he prefers a more aggressive tire.

Although it is a four-year old tire, it still ranked #1 in the latest TireRack comparison test. Consumer Reports also rates it very highly.

My friend is interested in a set of four for his '07 GTI. A set of four shipped, after the rebate, is about $650.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

Tell him to jump on 'em. I've got them on my '08 GTI and absolutely love them. I'm running 225/40ZR18s on a set of 18x8 BBS CH wheels.

Excellent grip, wet or dry, and the ride is remarkable for such a short sidewall. I've got nothing but praise for them.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Tell him to jump on 'em. I've got them on my '08 GTI and absolutely love them. I'm running 225/40ZR18s on a set of 18x8 BBS CH wheels.

Excellent grip, wet or dry, and the ride is remarkable for such a short sidewall. I've got nothing but praise for them.

Cheers

Thanks! How is the treadlife so far?

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Cheers

Thanks! How is the treadlife so far?

At this point I've got nearly 3K on them and there has yet to be any discernible wear. At first glance that doesn't seem very significant. But considering my driving style, and the fact that I go out of my way to find the twistiest roads around, it is rather surprising. While the most direct route between two points may be a straight line, you'll rarely find me on it.

The tires have been through extreme heat to torrential downpours at high speed and have never let go, or even hinted at it. What do I consider a downpour? Well, lets put it this way, I was out playing in the rain that recently flooded Louisville, KY without having any issues. Do I really push a tire that hard? How many people do you know that others have seriously suggested should take up driving a rally car? Hint: I'd make it at least one. Yeah, I know, what do people know? Would it help if it just so happened that among those people were family members of one Philippe Bugalski?

Yeah, just call me Captain Rhetorical...
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back