Michelin LTX M/S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everybody think of these tires? They are top rated by tire rack. I am looking to put them on my 2008 F150 4x4. Thanks

Fantastic tire. Had a set on my 2002 Highlander before my son totaled it.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Great tires. Ran them on my F150 when I had it.

Fantastic tire, we've owned several sets. They wear like iron, have great ice traction, great ride quality.....etc.

They stink. No ice/snow traction, little wet traction. Poor tread life.

These were the only tires that I have pulled off of a vehicle *before* they were worn out, and sold them on Craigslist... because they were such garbage.

Biggest tire mistake that I've ever made, and the most expensive mistake as well.

mrsilv04,

I could have said almost all of that about the Firestone Destination LE back when everyone else was praising them. I switched them for the original LTX M/S and couldn't have been more pleased.

What vehicle were you using the M/S2 on, and did you ever run the first-generation LTX M/S?

From what I hear, they're great tires. You being in Indiana, they probably won't dry-rot too bad.

I have a set on my 07 F150 and I'm in north central IN that I use for three seasons. I pulled them after the first winter of fighting them in favor of a set of Blizzaks. I purchased a second set of wheels and now swap back and fourth. Dreadful ice and snow traction compared to several other all season tires. They do have decent tread life, but I'm sure only running them three seasons is helping in that department.

I have had them on when pulling hay wagons in the field and at the muddy parking lot at the county fair. Did better than I expected in the parking lot, but will slip easy with a wagon behind it and had to ease to get the limited slip to keep going.

If I had to do it over, I'd still go for the winter tires because they can't be beat. However if you are going to be running them all year, I'd strongly consider a different tire.

Best tires I've owned on a truck. Took off the factory Gloob-Years at 500 miles, replaced them with same size LTX MS 2's. I could not believe the difference in ride, the GY's were junk.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
I have a set on my 07 F150 and I'm in north central IN that I use for three seasons. I pulled them after the first winter of fighting them in favor of a set of Blizzaks. I purchased a second set of wheels and now swap back and fourth. Dreadful ice and snow traction compared to several other all season tires. They do have decent tread life, but I'm sure only running them three seasons is helping in that department.

I have had them on when pulling hay wagons in the field and at the muddy parking lot at the county fair. Did better than I expected in the parking lot, but will slip easy with a wagon behind it and had to ease to get the limited slip to keep going.

If I had to do it over, I'd still go for the winter tires because they can't be beat. However if you are going to be running them all year, I'd strongly consider a different tire.

I run them year round on our Expedition and drove through one of the worst ice storms in history with them, LOL!
wink.gif
Mine are the P-metric version, are yours P-Metric or LT?

They are on my grand cherokee.. excellent in all weather even had them up some trails when they were iced over pulled out some yahoo in a lifted Silverado.

I had a set of the ltx at2 on my f350 in 275 65 20 10ply and they wore faster than I expected and when I got to about 50% tread I started randomly blowing belts inside them I ended up getting all 4 replaced for free but 3 out of 4 blew a belt within 500 miles of each other so needless to say I had a horrible experience with the at2s when I got the new set I sold them and bought the new cooper stt pro in 295 65 20 now those have been great tires so far

But I have had the ltx ms2 on a dodge 2500 mega cab I really liked them I got 40k out of them which I was expecting more so I just started running mud tires and got the same mileage on the tires probably better on a light weight truck

Last edited:
I had a set of 31x10.5x15's on a 99 Tacoma 4wd. They were great tires but they dry rotted before they were half way worn out. That is my only complaint with them. I am thinking about a set for my Tundra but the dry rot has me a bit concerned.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I run them year round on our Expedition and drove through one of the worst ice storms in history with them, LOL!
wink.gif

P Metric tires. It's also a 2wd extended cab so that doesn't help its case. Drove through some pretty bad storms in my 99 F150 (also 2wd) that had straight rib Goodyears on it. Looking back wondering how I never got stuck with that combo.
crazy.gif

Could I use the Michelins as all seasons, yes. Would it be fun all the time in the winter, not so much.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

wink.gif

P Metric tires. It's also a 2wd extended cab so that doesn't help its case. Drove through some pretty bad storms in my 99 F150 (also 2wd) that had straight rib Goodyears on it. Looking back wondering how I never got stuck with that combo.
crazy.gif

Could I use the Michelins as all seasons, yes. Would it be fun all the time in the winter, not so much.

Yeah, that makes more sense, a 2WD pickup would not compare all that well in performance to a more balanced 4x4 SUV
smile.gif

I ran the GoodYear Silent Armour tires on it when we first bought it and they were also extremely good in snow, but not quite as good on ice. I noticed an improvement in ice traction between the original M/S and the M/S2 that really sold me on the newer tire being better than the one it replaced. My parents run them year round on their Expedition in New Brunswick as well, but again, heavy 4x4.

I wasn't impressed with them, that said, I'll keep mine, and run snows in the winter. In 4WD to tame things they "work", and on a rear-heavy SUV they "work" but IMO in a light truck... snows work "better". Especially in a part-time 4WD truck where you don't want to be driving around in 4HI when you don't need to be.

In snow anyhow. The rest of the year, that's different. I don't have enough miles to know if they truly last "forever" or not. Destination LE's seem to be nearly as highly rated, yet cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back