Michelin Defender upset by new tire model...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How shocking.
smirk.gif

Every time a new tire comes out, TR announces it a winner to let them have their 15 minutes of fame. Then another new tire hits the market, and the process repeats. Maybe that is not how it works, but the more I look at their test results, the more it appears that way.

Of course you can argue that the newest tires has the latest and greatest technology built into it, so in fact it truly is better.

I love seeing the leader change. This sort of competition is what encourages everyone to create the best tire possible.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How shocking.
smirk.gif

Every time a new tire comes out, TR announces it a winner to let them have their 15 minutes of fame. Then another new tire hits the market, and the process repeats. .....

Yes I got roped in once with the Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Decent all-season at best, not UHPAS nor that much more winter capable.

I guess more winter capable than the OEM RE92a's notorious for poor winter traction.

For me the last good Michelin SUV street tire was the Cross Terrain. After trying the Michelin replacement I'm not a Michelin fan, anymore.

I love my MXV4 Primacys. I will not be getting the 60k out of them (been doing 5k rotations religiously).

Not too impressed with the Defender or Premier A/S. Sad to see the Primacy go. It's always been a very "bring it on" kind of tire IMO.

Will look at the Conti PureContact next time around.

Nothing beats the all-around tech in the Michelin Xice3. Treadwear, ice, snow, all-season, a breakthrough. Everything else looks bad compared to it, for any of us who have ice/snow on the ground to cheat death from.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I love seeing the leader change. This sort of competition is what encourages everyone to create the best tire possible.

This.

Funny you should say that…I'm still using the OEM-type tire on my 2003 M3 cabrio…the contisportcontact M3…they're not easy to find on TR's website but if you google TireRack and contisportcontact M3 they'll come up….

I ordered a new set of them (225/45-18 front and 255/40-18 rear; 19s are just too easy to bend rims here in the DC area!) from TR before they're out of stock….I still have 5/32 on the rears on my car but not for long!!!

If Continental has made a tire that's a match to the Defender in all other areas but made it even better in the wet, then that's saying something. Kudos to them.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
How shocking.
smirk.gif

Every time a new tire comes out, TR announces it a winner to let them have their 15 minutes of fame. Then another new tire hits the market, and the process repeats. .....

Yes I got roped in once with the Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Decent all-season at best, not UHPAS nor that much more winter capable.

I guess more winter capable than the OEM RE92a's notorious for poor winter traction.

I got a set on my WRX because I was tired of getting less than 30K miles out of my previous tires - all of which had issues with wear on the inside shoulder; suspect it was due to the high negative camber and some alignment issues. In the end I got more than 40K miles out of them and the ride was comfortable. I was disappointed with the dry traction. They'd squeal making wide left turns at 25 MPH. Never got to try them out in the snow.

I do see a lot of them around here. The tread pattern is so easy to spot because nothing else looks like it. I think it has to do with the availability and lower cost. A lot of tire shops seem to push it heavily too.

I got a set of Pilot A/S 3 and have no regrets.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Never got to try them out in the snow.

Lucky you.
smile.gif

The DWS on wife's car have about 30K miles on them... still some tread left, but not enough for any kind of snow riding. Not that they were great in snow to begin with.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Never got to try them out in the snow.

Lucky you.
smile.gif

The DWS on wife's car have about 30K miles on them... still some tread left, but not enough for any kind of snow riding. Not that they were great in snow to begin with.

I want to go play in the snow, but can't seem to find a good time to do it. I haven't driven in any appreciable snow since 2007.

Of course all I have ever had on this car would be A/S tires. I did get a set of SCC Super Z6 cables just waiting for a winter trip to Tahoe or Yosemite.

If wife ends up getting a new car before this winter, I'm getting her a set of Nokian Hakka R2. Enough with this no-season khrap.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
My MXV4's are beautiful in this respect

Isn't the new Premiers supposed to sorta replace the Defender? Long life with long life rain traction?

NOPE!
The Defenders have replaced the Michelin HydroEdge and(the way I understand it), the Premiers will be replacing the Primacy MXV4's and maybe the Energy MXV/MXM as well. I'm not sure!

Last edited:
The defenders are the extremely long tread life tire in michelin's stable.

You are going to have to compromise at least slightly to get treadlife that long.

The true contact is made in at least 6 countries

so you could be getting a tire from mexico, france, brazil, usa, germany, romania

That being said the true contact is an extremely competitive tire in this market segment.

Maybe michelin will tweak the defender.. but that's usually not announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back