Michelin CrossClimate 2 replaces Premier A/S/LTX and CrossClimate+

"Michelin says it used Piano Noise Reduction Tuning to eliminate road noise from the tire’s tread blocks and angles and create “ideal amplitude for the contact patch,” creating a quieter ride.

The tire replaces the CrossClimate+, CrossClimate SUV, Premier A/S and Premier LTX tire lines.

The CrossClimate2 is available in 25 sizes for passengers and crossovers, with an additional 31 sizes to be available in early 2021. Michelin says the combined 56 sizes fit 76% of the best-selling sedans and crossovers on the market."

This explains why many sizes of the Premier A/S are suddenly unavailable.

TireRack did a Q&A with one of the Michelin PM's about this tire. It is worth listening to:

Seems like treadwear and snow performance were significant considerations during the development process. The compound is supposedly all-new and despite the aggressive tread design, it is less likely to develop noise issues than older tires with this design.

I am a bit skeptical of directional tires with funky tread patterns, but I might buy a set for the FIL's car as a test.

But the wet traction friction coefficient goes down to "B" from its predecessor's "A" rating.

Michelin blames the antiquated test standard. But I'm sure they are happy about the AA rating on the PS4S

But the wet traction friction coefficient goes down to "B" from its predecessor's "A" rating.

Michelin blames the antiquated test standard. But I'm sure they are happy about the AA rating on the PS4S
Valid point(s) - by everyone.

TR recently did a test where a Michelin tire from each category was tested. The CrossClimate2 ranked surprisingly well - even when compared against the Pilot Sport 4S.

1629735642128.jpg

The reason the test is antiquated is that the test drags a locked tire across a wet surface and measures the resistance. It probably made sense prior to the advent of anti-lock brakes, but what vehicle doesn't have antilock brakes these days? Static vs dynamic friction.

Back