Michelin 7% Price Increase Effective 3/16/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
They can shove them. Lousy company, I wouldn't buy a rubber hose from them.

huh, I've had nothing but positive interactions with them--both for personal use and professionally (not the auto division).

Raw material costs have increased significantly. Companies can either charge more, use cheaper materials or skimp on the production process by doing sketchy things like extending the life of the molds. Personally, I'd rather pay more than go for the other options.

I don't think you can buy a better over the road tire for a truck than the defender ltx ...over 80,000 miles trouble free on the last truck set. Now if you're talking track tires or sticky road tires ...they are meant to self destruct in exchange for their stickiness.

Look up the TRX and PAX tire fiasco they foisted on the public. The dirty buggers screwed people left right and center with that fiasco and never owned up to or compensated anyone for it.
I wont buy anything from a company who does business this way and that includes Ford, another shabby operator. An 8 year old Ford Ranger 4x4 36k original, no rust or holes or body damage but the frame broke in 3 places.
Toyota replaced the frames on even older trucks free. Ford claimed it is the salt belt environment and the owners can basically scratch their backsides with a broken bottle.

I stopped buying Michelin tires 5 years ago when they wouldn't warrant an egg sized sidewall bulge on one of an almost new set of tires. Not worth the "premium" price.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I don't think you can buy a better over the road tire for a [light] truck than the defender ltx ...

I agree, the LTX is a superb tire, with fantastic tread life and class leading wet grip. $254 each, going up to $271 each, for my truck is more than pushing the limits though. Of course, I purchase my Michelin's at Costco, when they offer both free mounting and $100 off a set of 4.

When the highly rated Sumitomo's are $158 each, the competition is fierce indeed.

The number 1 criteria consumers think about for tires is PRICE.

Michelin is going to make 7 % more gross revenue, but lose 10 % + when more customers go, how much ... ??? Is there anything cheaper ? Yes. Yes there is ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
The number 1 criteria consumers think about for tires is PRICE.

Michelin is going to make 7 % more gross revenue, but lose 10 % + when more customers go, how much ... ??? Is there anything cheaper ? Yes. Yes there is ...

I guess I'm part of the other 90% that just buys them because it's either Michelin or Continental. For some reason, more flats on Continental, figured I'd get the same with Michelin but so far no flats. Maybe just coincidental but running extra load tires that the other brands don't have in the same size.

Long time Michelin user here. But, my last set of truck tires dry rot-ed and so many others reporting dry rot with Michelin's. My last 2 sets of tires were continentals.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Quality = $$$

If it worked that way for you I'm glad. Never did for me. Not a company I'll ever pay for again. I've done well with BF, Conti, and Vaderstein.

Michelin Defender LTX are on two of my vehicles they are fantastic tires. The previous Michelin of the same series the LTX M/S2 were already on the truck when I bought it, who knows how long, and I put more than another 50,000 on them and only replaced them because I abraded one of them them on a curb making a dumb U-turn. The best of that set is still mounted as my current spare tire when the Defender LTX went on a year and a half ago. They were $161.88 each at Sam's Club, installed in my Tundra. Opinions vary I suppose.

My other car a Corolla has X-Tour T+H A/S, the Costco club version of Defender T+H installed 25 months ago. The previous ones on the Corolla were Costco X Radial Michelins that lasted 10 years. They had hardened and were no longer good in snow but still had 4/32" left. The new set of Michelins was $346, installed, for 195/65R-15 tires. That was $86.50 each.

Two things I don't cheap out on with cars and that is the tires and brakes.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I stopped buying Michelin tires 5 years ago when they wouldn't warrant an egg sized sidewall bulge on one of an almost new set of tires. Not worth the "premium" price.

That is exactly the point, its not the tires (they may well build some good tires) but the company and how they operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back