Michelen Premier A/S: Not Impressed; Replacement Q..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these the tires that Michelin claims that they maintain their wet traction down to wear bars?
I think CR did some testing (simulating wear with shaving tires so rubber aging was not included) and Michelin (I wish I remember which model) did indeed keep its performance (or rather lost the least).

How do they feel, when driving. Do they loose traction sooner than what you remember?

It does not hurt checking the treadware warranty but if it does not work go with other tires.

By the way summer tires are not necessarily louder than all seasons, you just need to buy tires that are designed to be quiet. Some "Extreme Performance" tires in Tire Rack speak trade noise for ultimate traction, usually dry traction.
A notch or two lower one can find tires that are better in dry and much more quiet.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by krzyss
Are these the tires that Michelin claims that they maintain their wet traction down to wear bars?
I think CR did some testing (simulating wear with shaving tires so rubber aging was not included) and Michelin (I wish I remember which model) did indeed keep its performance (or rather lost the least).

They are.

Here is the related thread on the CR test.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...wet-braking-on-worn-as-tires#Post4978259

I'm pleased with the Premier A/S on the Civic.

I can't reply fully right now, but a couple of things

1. The tires still drive well. Dry traction is unchanged; wet is fine, though it's been since last summer/fall since I recall personally driving it through a moderate amount of rainfall/rain on the road; winter traction is NA

2. Good to know that wet traction isn't substantially degraded when worn

3. Warranty: do I have to reach 2/32" before I can make a claim?

4. Miles: totally forgot to subtract the miles out on the car with winter tires installed. I don't track that, unfortunately, but it's at LEAST minus a couple of thousand miles, likely more.

We've had good luck with the Continental PureContact LS and General Altimax R43. The Conti's handle and brake as well as the Premier A/S and the tested treadlife is longer, the RT43 handles nearly as well and is cheaper than the Conti. Both have been good in the snow too, and start at 10/32.

I have had the Michelins and the Continental PureContact LS on my Maxima, and I prefer the Conti's.

Although Tire Rack's test says the Michelins are quieter and ride better, my experience is the opposite.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

It depends on the tire dealer but most will be ok with pro-rating at 3/32 or 4/32 you dont need to go to 2/32

Since you have the 18's I'd say go with some conti dws06 if you dont mind upsizing to 235/55r18
(it came with 225/55r18?)

Originally Posted by Rand

It depends on the tire dealer but most will be ok with pro-rating at 3/32 or 4/32 you dont need to go to 2/32

Since you have the 18's I'd say go with some conti dws06 if you dont mind upsizing to 235/55r18
(it came with 225/55r18?)

I'll have to check the speedo against the GPS, since I don't recall which way it errs. Bumping up to a 235/55 will make the speedo low by 1.8%

I'm still torn between a more summer-oriented tire (great dry braking and handling and very good wet performance, at the expense of winter/cold performance) and a grand-touring all-season tire, though I'm obviously leaning toward a long-lived GT tire. While I personally want to have fun when I drive, my wife puts the majority of miles on the FXT. Most of the time she's in boost will be on relatively straight roads, for which pretty much any highly-rated all-season will be adequate.

Originally Posted by krzyss

How do they feel, when driving. Do they loose traction sooner than what you remember?

It does not hurt checking the treadware warranty but if it does not work go with other tires.

By the way summer tires are not necessarily louder than all seasons, you just need to buy tires that are designed to be quiet. Some "Extreme Performance" tires in Tire Rack speak trade noise for ultimate traction, usually dry traction.
A notch or two lower one can find tires that are better in dry and much more quiet.

KrzyÅ›

I had Premier LTX on X5. Ridiculous wet traction and handling. But they wear out fast. However, for that wet performance could not care less.
My issue with them was that BMW had much more capable suspension and brakes than they were made for.

I'm still torn between a more summer-oriented tire (great dry braking and handling and very good wet performance, at the expense of winter/cold performance) and a grand-touring all-season tire, though I'm obviously leaning toward a long-lived GT tire. While I personally want to have fun when I drive, my wife puts the majority of miles on the FXT. Most of the time she's in boost will be on relatively straight roads, for which pretty much any highly-rated all-season will be adequate.

You can always go with RT43
lol.gif

I tried these tires out on my 11 corolla and let me tell you they suck. I previously had Goodyear Comfort treads. Not even a comparison. Like previous poster said the tread depth starts out smaller than most tires, but as they wear supposedly they get better. While I did notice that they handled more decently as they wore, they still were noisy and only lasted about 30k miles. Also the ride quality was a joke for it being a premium tire. Never again Michelin! Needless to say I switched back to the comfort treads (which have since been discontinued) and the ride is 100 times smoother and quieter! Live and learn I guess. Stay away from this TIRE!! You have been warned!

I've been reading reviews (and taking them with a grain of salt) and watching videos on Tirerack, as well as CR.org.

It seems nearly impossible to determine which tire is best based on this. Reviews are just as likely to be posted after 200 miles as 18k miles and the videos are likely short-drive reviews on brand-new tires, which won't matter after I've got 20-30k miles on whatever I actually buy.

One thing I can say, is that I like the additional options provided by going to 235mm width tires.

Also, since it's highly-rated and I have good past experience with Conti tires, I'm leaning toward something like the PureContact LS.

I was honestly very impressed with the Premier A/S on the now departed C300 in my signature - well except the treadwear. I drove that car pretty aggressively and they were already getting into the warning zone at 17k miles. I will say they gripped in wet and dry like no ones business and were supremely quiet and comfortable on my C. But with them maybe lasting to 25k miles on that car it was definitely an expense, IIRC they were like $180-$190/tire for replacement. Car was traded in before I had to replace so I ended up not having to deal with it.

I love Michelin tires and won't buy anything else, the Premier A/S were wonderful tires but the treadwear was a concern. My Energy MXV4 and MXV4+ I was able to at least squeak ~45k miles out of. By far I have had the best luck with Michelin tires so I am sticking to them.

I've been reading reviews (and taking them with a grain of salt) and watching videos on Tirerack, as well as CR.org.

It seems nearly impossible to determine which tire is best based on this. Reviews are just as likely to be posted after 200 miles as 18k miles and the videos are likely short-drive reviews on brand-new tires, which won't matter after I've got 20-30k miles on whatever I actually buy.

...Maybe check the pictures of used tires on your local craigslist/facebook market? To see the wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back